Every August 7th to August 13th, Afternoon Tea Week invites us to immerse ourselves in the timeless charm of British afternoon tea. With a steaming cup of tea, delightful finger sandwiches, and luscious sweets, this tradition brightens the later part of the day and offers a moment of elegance and respite. Join us as we explore the history and joys of Afternoon Tea Week and discover ways to indulge in this cherished ritual.
A Step Back in Time: The Origins of Afternoon Tea
Afternoon Tea Week traces its roots to the 1840s, when dinner in Britain was served late, leaving a long gap between meals. The Duchess of Bedford, Anna, sought to remedy her mid-afternoon weariness with tea and snacks, inviting friends to join her for this delightful repast.
A Whimsical Menu: What Afternoon Tea Entails
A traditional afternoon tea menu includes:
- Finger sandwiches: Delight in an array of dainty sandwiches with classic fillings like cucumber, smoked salmon, or egg and cress.
- Scones with clotted cream and jam: Savor freshly baked scones served with luscious clotted cream and fruity jams.
- Assorted sweets: Indulge in pastries, cakes, and desserts that add a touch of sweetness to the afternoon.
Celebrating Afternoon Tea Week
Engage in Afternoon Tea Week with these delightful activities:
- Host a tea event: Invite friends and family for a special tea reception, complete with Victorian costumes, to celebrate the tradition in style.
- Explore local restaurants: Discover restaurants that offer formal or semi-formal afternoon tea experiences to indulge in the delicacies without the fuss of preparation.
- Embark on a London tea tour: Experience the epitome of afternoon tea in England by visiting renowned tea rooms like Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, or BB Bakery’s Afternoon Tea Bus Tour.
Keep Calm and Carry On: The British Way
Afternoon Tea Week honors the cherished British tradition of taking time to savor tea and treats. Embrace this week as an opportunity to pause, relax, and enjoy the elegant simplicity of afternoon tea. Whether you host your own tea gathering or visit a local restaurant, Afternoon Tea Week reminds us to appreciate life’s little pleasures and embrace the grace of British elegance. So raise your teacup and say, “Cheers!” to a delightful Afternoon Tea Week.