The Bow Tie Day is held once a year every 28th of August. This year, people from all over the world come together to celebrate the bow tie which is a popular accessory for men. This day aims to give honor to the bow tie for being commonly used by people in their outfits especially formal attire.
About Bow Tie Day
A bow tie is usually worn by men during formal occasions. It can be a substitute for neck tie. It makes the look of a man formal and elegant. Because of its popularity worldwide and since a lot of people make use of bow ties, a special day has been dedicated for it. During the Bow Tie Day, people do lots of activities related to commemorating bow ties. For instance, most people go shopping for elegant bow ties that the can wear. Those with talent on clothing technology make use of their own skills to make bow ties for themselves or for other people.
The history of this holiday can be tracked back to the invention of the bow tie.
According to experts, the bow tie originated in Croatia. Soldiers in Croatia would tie their neckties in order to keep their shirt collars together. The resulting bow tie holds together the opening of their shirts. This was during the Thirty Year War or the Prussian wars of the 17th century. The French people soon adapted this clothing idea.
How did the bow tie develop?
Pierre Lorillard, a tobacco magnate, wore a bow tie at a Tuxedo Club. He was the one who popularized the idea of wearing black and white formal attire plus a bow tie. This started the new fashion trend on formal clothing. We now have different styles of bow ties to suit an occasion and an attire. Bow ties have transcended across generations and eras. Bow ties have also been associated with popular culture. For instance, notable figures who are known for wearing bow tie include James Bond, Winston Churchill, Orville Redenbacher, Groucho Marx, Bill Bye, Jerry Lewis, Donald Duck, Indiana Jones, and Les Nessman.
Origin of the Bow Tie Day
We still don’t exactly know how this day started and also who started it. But one thing is for sure, this day is celebrated so as to give honor and commemoration to the bow tie which has been worn and used by people across generations and worldwide.
This holiday is always held every August 28 of the year. This means that the upcoming Bow Tie Day will be celebrated on Saturday, August 28.
Perhaps the main reason why you should celebrate this holiday is to give thanks to the bow tie for giving you an opportunity to look elegant whenever you need to. In addition, this is also the perfect day where you can try to wear bow tie and experiment with different sets of clothing to see which ones are the best match for you.
Celebration Ideas & Activities
The following are the best things that you can do for this day to make it your best celebration of the Bow Tie Day:
Have A Bow Tie for Yourself
If you still don’t own any bow tie, then this is the perfect day to buy one. You can go to the department store or any clothing store to purchase one. You can ask for the assistance of the clerks there to help you choose a good bow tie that matches you. Or if you don’t want to spend cash for a bow tie, then you may want to ask for one from your father, grandfather, uncles, cousins, friends, or even your neighbor.
Learn to Tie a Bow Tie
Just like a neck tie, most people find it difficult to tie a bow tie. Fortunately, if you just learn the easy steps to do so, you will be an expert in tying this accessory. For better assistance, you can go look for an online video that will teach you how to perfectly tie a bow tie around your neck.
Celebrate on Social Media
It would also be good to celebrate this day by sharing your celebration on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #BowTieDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day.
The following are some interesting facts about the Bow Tie Day that are worth sharing to other people:
- The three different types of bow ties are: self-tie, pre-tied, and clip-on.
- The clip-on is the type of bow tie that requires no tying. You only need to clip it in your shirt.
- The self-tie bow tie us the freestyle kind because it is up to you how you tie it in your shirt.
- Bow ties are best worn for formal occasions.
- Bow ties can be worn also in a semi-formal way.
- The most popular bow tie shapes include butterfly, batwing, diamond point, and club round.
Happy Quotes & Sayings
- Wearing a bow tie is a statement. Almost an act of defiance – Rick Kaplan
- When you wear a bow tie, doors open for you. Your posture is a little more erect; your shoulders are a little further back; your style is a little more dynamic. It’s about the reestablishment of the gentleman – Dhani Jones
- See the bowtie? I wear it and I don’t care. That’s why it’s cool – Steven Moffat
- What we used to say was whoever had the bow tie got to lead the band. There was never any jealousy – Pete Fountain
- There’s four main pillars to the bow tie – self-representation, service, collaboration and critical thought. You have to understand how to represent yourself and critically understand how to collaborate and serve others – Dhani Jones