The Canadian Armed Forces Day is celebrated every first Sunday of June each year. This day commemorates Canada’s armed forces, their organization and personnel, as well as their heritage. The celebration is headed by the Commander in Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Chief of Defense Staff, the Minister of National Defense and the Prime Minister of Canada. They all give official congratulatory messages during this day.
About the Canadian Armed Forces Day
During the Canadian Armed Forces Day, people celebrate by conducting various activities that let them achieve the purposes or goals of this day. For one, people join the parade honoring the military. They also watch the military’s show off of their skills and equipment. People also shout out on social media how they are celebrating this day.
The Canadian Armed Forces Day was founded on April 25, 2002 when the motion for the celebration was passed in the House of Commons of Canada. On May 31, 2002, then Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien issued a statement stating that the first Sunday of June is the celebration of the Canadian Forces as well as giving honor to their families for their daily sacrifices.
Read Also: Indian Armed Forces Flag Day
As mentioned earlier, the Canadian Armed Forces Day is celebrated every first Sunday of June each year.
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Canadian Armed Forces Day:
They Deserve Our Respect
One good reason to celebrate this day is that this is the most opportune time to give respect to the Canadian Armed Forces. They put their lives on the line. They offer their courage and bravery to preserve our country’s safety and security. They are our knights in shining armor. Hence, you should celebrate the day to thank them.
To Get to Know Them More
Also a good reason to celebrate this day is to raise awareness about the plight of the military personnel. They spend most of their lives in places we have yet to come. Most of us do not know much about the rigorous training their undergo. It is important for us to understand these aspects in order to get to know them more. If you celebrate the Canadian Armed Forces Day, you will be able to do that.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the Canadian Armed Forces Day as best as it can be:
Join the Parade
One good idea for your celebration of this day is to join the parade held in honor of the armed forces. Joining will not only show your respect to the armed forces but will also let you have lots of fun.
Listen to the Congratulatory Messages
As mentioned earlier, the leaders of the nation and the armed forces all give congratulatory messages for the armed forces during this day. It is a good idea to watch these for your celebration of this day.
Spectate the Military Display
You can also celebrate this day by watching the military display of the armed forces. They do this publicly so that the people can know what the military can do – their skills, routine, and equipment.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #CanadianArmedForcesDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
Messages and Greetings
- Salute to all the members of the army, navy, and air force. Happy Canadian Armed Forces Day!
- We are in this together, no matter how far apart. Happy Canadian Armed Forces Day!
- To all the members of the armed forces, we wish you good health and good life. Thank you for always protecting us. Happy Canadian Armed Forces Day!
- To all the families of the members of the Canadian Armed Forces, we salute you for all your sacrifices and courage. Happy Canadian Armed Forces Day!
- In this Armed Forces Day, may all Canadians remember our armed forces, both living and deceased. They put their lives on the line for our safety and peace. Happy Canadian Armed Forces Day!
- “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place – police, firefighters and members of our armed forces.” — Sidney Sheldon
- “The criteria for serving one’s country should be competence, courage, and willingness to serve. When we deny people the chance to serve because of their sexual orientation, we deprive them of their rights of citizenship, and we deprive our armed forces the service of willing and capable Americans.” — Dianne Feinstein
- “History has taught us over and over again that freedom is not free. When push comes to shove, the ultimate protectors of freedom and liberty are the brave men and women in our armed forces. Throughout our history, they’ve answered the call-in bravery and sacrifice.” — Tim Pawlenty
- “The U.S. Armed Forces are the best trained, best equipped fighting forces in the world.” — Jim Walsh
- “Our men and women in our armed forces are the real heroes in this conflict.” — Wayne Allard