The National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated in India every 14th of December each year since 1991. The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Ministry of Power is the one that leads the celebration every year. The aim of this day is to increase awareness about the importance of energy conservation and efficiency.
About the National Energy Conservation Day
As the global population continues to increase and with more and more technological advancements, energy requirements become more in demand that ever. Unfortunately, this results in the speedy depletion of energy resources. For this reason, it has become much more important to conserve energy in any way that we can. Failure to do so will result in our lives getting in danger.
That is why the National Energy Conservation Day was created so that efforts can be focused on energy conservation and efficiency. The former refers to non-excessive use of energy resources so that none will go to waste. The latter refers to maximizing the use of energy so that they are put into the best use possible.
During this day of celebration, the entire country participates by having various seminars and conferences aiming to teach people the importance of conserving energy. Not only that, people are also taught with the various ways on how they can best conserve energy. For instance, people in tropical countries are encouraged to turn off their air coolers when the weather is cold. Another example is people encouraging to walk or use their bicycles instead of driving their cars. This holiday is just as fun as the bicycle day .
Energy Conservation Day History
The Energy Efficiency Bureau of India established the Energy Conservation Act in 2001. The bureau is responsible in developing policies and strategies for energy conservation. They comprise of professional, qualified, and full of life auditors and managers who have expertise in the fields of financial management, policy-making, and implementation of projects related to energy.
As mentioned earlier the National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated in India every 14 each year. This means that the upcoming celebration of this day will be held on December 14.
Why Celebrate Energy Conservation Day
Every year, the National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated with a particular theme. The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of this important day:
To Make People Aware About Energy Conservation
One reason why you should celebrate this day is by doing so, you can make people aware about energy conservation. Although this issue is very important, a lot of people are still negligent about such topic. Hence, efforts concerted towards this issue are do not get maximize gains. If you participate in this day by telling people about energy conservation, you can make this world a better place.
To Promote Energy Conservation
Also a good reason to celebrate this day is that you can join in various discussions, debates, conferences, workshops, and competitions all promoting energy conservation. You can have fun celebrating this day by joining these activities while at the same time, you join in an advocacy that can save the planet.
To Save the World
Energy conservation is now more important than it ever was. Everything that you do for conserving energy, no matter small or big, will be helpful to save the world. if you want to be a part of saving the world, then join the celebration of this day.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Energy Conservation Day as best as it can be:
Join Awareness Campaigns
One good thing to do for this day is to join awareness campaigns. In this activity, you can let people know about energy conservation and energy efficiency. Let them know why these are important and why they should practice conserving energy right away.
Start with Yourself in Conserving Energy
Also a good activity to do for this day is to do little things that are geared towards conserving energy. For instance, you can just ride a bike to school or work instead of using your car to save fuel energy. You can also turn the lights off if its bright or turn off the air conditioner if it’s cold. These things are what we do during Earth hour. It helps the planet breathe and have a time away from energy consumption.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day in social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalEnergyConservationDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
Energy Conservation Day Quotes
- Energy conservation is the foundation of energy independence. – Thomas H. Allen
- Biofuels are the future of energy in this nation and around the world. – Rod Blagojevich
- There is no energy crisis, only a crisis of ignorance. – R. Buckminster Fuller
- We’ve embarked on the beginning of the last days of the age of oil. Embrace the future and recognize the growing demand for a wide range of fuels or ignore reality and slowly—but surely—be left behind. – Mike Bowlin, chairman and CEO of ARCO (now BP)
- More energy conserved, more the planet life is reserved.
- We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking resources. By acting now we can control our future instead of letting the future control us. – Jimmy Carter
- Conservation of energy also protects our environment. – Lamar S. Smith
- Life should be built on the conservation of energy. – Herbert M. Shelton
- Because we are now running out of gas and oil, we must prepare quickly for a third change, to strict conservation and to the use of … permanent renewable energy sources, like solar power. – Jimmy Carter
- The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. – Ralph Nader