The National Girlfriends Day is celebrated every first of August each year. This is the day to thank all your female friends who become real sisters for you. These ladies make your life fuller, more complete, and brighter. So this is the perfect day to let them know how much they mean to you.
The National Girlfriends Day celebrated every August 1 is a day where girlfriends get together around to celebrate the special bond that they have. We have so many girlfriends in our lives and they can be our classmates and coworkers, or even our own sisters and mothers. These dear friends of ours are always here for us. We enjoy spending time with them laughing and sharing secrets. They are also the ones that we seek whenever we need to. When it is time for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, they are always here for us.
There are so many things people do to celebrate National Girlfriends Day to the fullest. They often write cards or letters for their girlfriends or make phone calls even if they are far apart. Most spend their day together.
History of Girlfriend Day
The term girlfriend was first used in 1863 as a way of describing a woman’s female friend. However, it was during the 1920s when people started to use the term girlfriend as the romantic partner of a boy. Nowadays, the term can be used in either way. Depending on the context, girlfriend can mean a female friend or a female romantic partner.
The National Girlfriends Day was created by Sally Rodgers and Allie Savarino in 2006. This day formally added into the National Day Calendar in 2014. The aim of this day is for girlfriends to be able to have a special day with each other where they can bond and do all the things they like together.
When is Girlfriend’s Day?
This holiday is always held on the first of August each year. This means that the upcoming National Girlfriends Day will be celebrated on Sunday, Feb 4, 2022.
Why Celebrate Girlfriend’s Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should celebrate National Girlfriends Day:
Our Girlfriends Have Been with Us Through the Ups and Downs
Our special girlfriends have always been there for us. Whenever we feel lonely, sad, or alone, they are always there to accompany us and light up our days. Whenever we feel so excited and happy, they share the same feelings with us and we all jump in joy. Hence, this unconditional love that our girlfriends give to us must be celebrated during the National Girlfriends Day.
Girlfriends Are Amazing Dessert Buddies
Perhaps there’s no better person to eat amazing desserts with than your girlfriend. She will be there with you when you both indulge yourselves into eating amazing desserts like ice cream, cake, chocolates, and many more. She will eat these foods with your when you’ve just been through a breakup, when you experience school problems, or family problems. She will also eat these with you whenever you just want to. That’s why having a girlfriend is so much fun and that’s why you should celebrate the holiday.
They Are in for Parties
Our girlfriends have so much connections. They know when parties are going to be held. They will invite us and bring us to these socialized events. They will dance with us, eat dinner with us, and drink with us. We can always count on them whenever we want to experience a lot of fun.
How to Celebrate Girlfriend’s Day?
The following are the usual activities that people do to celebrate National Girlfriends Day
Eat Out with Your Girlfriend
There’s nothing better than going out with your girlfriend and eating with her. You can even spend the whole day eating together. You can begin with breakfast and then go shopping after that. You can then eat at a fancy restaurant for lunch and then watch a movie. You can end the day with a fancy dinner and then a good dessert. You will surely enjoy the day together.
Have a Girls Day Out
You can also have a girls day out. Perhaps you want to maintain your beautiful self. You can go to the spa and have your nails and hair done. You can also get some tan together if you want to. You can also go to the mall to look for some nice grooming kits and makeups.
Be Proud of Your Girlfriend On Social Media
Your girlfriend will surely appreciate it if you express on social media that you are proud of her. You can post pictures of you girls, create an inspiring captions, and then use the hashtag #GirlfriendsDay to let other people know that you are spending your day with a very important friend in your life.
Facts About National Girlfriend’s Day
The following are some facts about the National Girlfriends Day that are worth sharing to other people:
- According to an article from Psychology Today, the friendship of women is built on feelings and emotions while the friendship among men is basically just transactional friendship.
- Women invest more on their friendships by stating in touch and seeing together more often than men do.
- According to a research by scientists from the University of California Los Angeles, strong friendship between females can reduce stress.
- A stressed out women can release stress by spending time with other women. This triggers the release of the hormone oxytocin which induces calm and relieves stress.
National Girlfriend’s Day Quotes
- “One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” — Mindy Kaling
- “Friendship between women is different than friendship between men. We talk about different things. We delve deep. We go under, even if we haven’t seen each other for years.” — Jane Fonda
- “Abandon the cultural myth that all female friendships must be bitchy, toxic, or competitive. This myth is like heels and purses—pretty but designed to SLOW women down.” — Roxane Gay, in Bad Feminist
- And for good measure, one quote on friendship in general: “The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are right.” — Mark Twain
- “Women understand. We may share experiences, make jokes, paint pictures, and describe humiliations that mean nothing to men, but women understand.” — Gloria Steinem
National Girlfriend’s Day Messages
- The best thing in a girl’s life is her girlfriend and I am so fortunate to have you in my life…. Let us make this National Girlfriend Day a rocking one by partying hard and spending a memorable time together. Lots of hugs and wishes to you!!!
- Hugs and kisses to the most amazing girlfriend who has brought along happiness and smiles, gossips and chit-chats, shopping and movies and has filled my life with so many beautiful colors. Happy National Girlfriend Day to you.
- To kill all the stress in my life, to make sure I look young, to make sure I choose the right man…. I know you are there with me, taking care of me and my life with me. Wishing you a very warm Happy National Girlfriend Day.
- When we two are together, we can conquer the world, such is the power of our bonding. When we are with each other, no problem is big, no worries are long because together we can rule the world…. A very Happy National Girlfriend Day to you.
- Hanging out together, going for shopping and movies together, Sunday brunches together make my life so awesome and sometimes even make me think that what am I going to do without you…. Cheers to our friendship and Happy National Girlfriend’s Day