National Girlfriends Day is a special occasion celebrated on August 1st every year. It is a day dedicated to celebrating the bond between girlfriends and showing appreciation for the special women in our lives who have stood by us through thick and thin. It is a day to remind your girlfriends that they are loved, appreciated, and cherished. Whether it’s your best friend, sister, mother, or significant other, National Girlfriends Day is a perfect opportunity to celebrate the women who have been your confidante, partner in crime, and support system.
History and Significance of National Girlfriends Day
National Girlfriends Day is a holiday that is celebrated on August 1st every year. The origins of this holiday are not entirely clear, but it is believed to have been started by Allie Savarino Kline, who created the holiday in 2002. Kline is the founder of the website, Girlfriendology, which is a community for women to share inspiration, advice, and stories.
The purpose of National Girlfriends Day is to celebrate the bond between girlfriends and to show appreciation for the important role that female friendships play in our lives. Whether it’s our best friend, sister, mother, or significant other, the women in our lives who have been there through thick and thin are invaluable. National Girlfriends Day is an opportunity to recognize and cherish those relationships.
National Girlfriends Day has become more popular over the years, with people using social media to share photos and stories about their female friendships. The holiday is not widely recognized as an official holiday, but it is a fun and meaningful way to celebrate the special women in our lives.
The Significance of National Girlfriends Day
The significance of National Girlfriends Day is in recognizing and celebrating the powerful bond between women. Female friendships can provide support, comfort, and laughter, and are a vital part of our lives. National Girlfriends Day encourages us to take the time to acknowledge and appreciate those friendships and to show the women in our lives how much they mean to us.
Why Celebrate Girlfriend’s Day?
Our Girlfriends Have Been with Us Through the Ups and Downs
Our special girlfriends have always been there for us. Whenever we feel lonely, sad, or alone, they are always there to accompany us and light up our days. Whenever we feel so excited and happy, they share the same feelings with us and we all jump in joy. Hence, this unconditional love that our girlfriends give to us must be celebrated during the National Girlfriends Day.
Girlfriends Are Amazing Dessert Buddies
Perhaps there’s no better person to eat amazing desserts with than your girlfriend. She will be there with you when you both indulge yourselves into eating amazing desserts like ice cream, cake, chocolates, and many more. She will eat these foods with your when you’ve just been through a breakup, when you experience school problems, or family problems. She will also eat these with you whenever you just want to. That’s why having a girlfriend is so much fun and that’s why you should celebrate the holiday.
They Are in for Parties
Our girlfriends have so much connections. They know when parties are going to be held. They will invite us and bring us to these socialized events. They will dance with us, eat dinner with us, and drink with us. We can always count on them whenever we want to experience a lot of fun.
How to Celebrate Girlfriend’s Day?
The following are the usual activities that people do to celebrate National Girlfriends Day:
Eat Out with Your Girlfriend
There’s nothing better than going out with your girlfriend and eating with her. You can even spend the whole day eating together. You can begin with breakfast and then go shopping after that. You
Have a Girls Day Out
You can also have a girls day out. Perhaps you want to maintain your beautiful self. You can go to the spa and have your nails and hair done. You can also get some tan together if you want to. You can also go to the mall to look for some nice grooming kits and makeups.
Be Proud of Your Girlfriend on Social Media
Your girlfriend will surely appreciate it if you express on social media that you are proud of her. You can post pictures of you girls, create an inspiring caption, and then use the hashtag #GirlfriendsDay to let other people know that you are spending your day with a very important friend in your life.
Facts About National Girlfriend’s Day
The following are some facts about the National Girlfriends Day that are worth sharing with others:
- According to an article from Psychology Today, the friendship of women is built on feelings and emotions while the friendship among men is basically just transactional friendship.
- Women invest more in their friendships by staying in touch and seeing each other more often than men do.
- According to research by scientists from the University of California Los Angeles, strong friendship between females can reduce stress.
- A stressed-out woman can release stress by spending time with other women. This triggers the release of the hormone oxytocin, which induces calm and relieves stress.
National Girlfriend’s Day Quotes
- “One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” — Mindy Kaling
- “Friendship between women is different than friendship between men. We talk about different things. We delve deep. We go under, even if we haven’t seen each other for years.” — Jane Fonda
- “Abandon the cultural myth that all female friendships must be bitchy, toxic, or competitive. This myth is like heels and purses—pretty but designed to SLOW women down.” — Roxane Gay, in Bad Feminist
- “The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are right.” — Mark Twain
- “Women understand. We may share experiences, make jokes, paint pictures, and describe humiliations that mean nothing to men, but women understand.” — Gloria Steinem
National Girlfriend’s Day Messages
The following are some messages that you can send to your girlfriend to celebrate National Girlfriends Day:
- “The best thing in a girl’s life is her girlfriend, and I am so fortunate to have you in my life…. Let us make this National Girlfriend Day a rocking one by partying hard and spending a memorable time together. Lots of hugs and wishes to you!!!”
- “Hugs and kisses to the most amazing girlfriend who has brought along happiness and smiles, gossips and chit-chats, shopping and movies and has filled my life with so many beautiful colors. Happy National Girlfriend Day to you.”
- “To kill all the stress in my life, to make sure I look young, to make sure I choose the right man…. I know you are there with me, taking care of me and my life with me. Wishing you a very warm Happy National Girlfriend Day.”
- “When we two are together, we can conquer the world, such is the power of our bonding. When we are with each other, no problem is big, no worries are long because together we can rule the world…. A very Happy National Girlfriend Day to you.”
- “Hanging out together, going for shopping and movies together, Sunday brunches together make my life so awesome and sometimes even make me think that what am I going to do without you…. Cheers to our friendship and Happy National Girlfriend’s Day.”