The Harvey Milk Day is celebrated every year on the 22nd of May. It is organized by the Harvey Milk Foundation and it aims to commemorate, remember, and honor Harvey Milk, who was a prominent gay rights activist during the late 20th century. He was the first openly gay person elected into the California public office where he became the city supervisor (it took him three times before finally winning the post). Harvey Milk Day is a special day to inform people about the principles campaigned by Harvey Milk all aiming to eliminate the discrimination against lesbians and gay people.
Read Also : World Milk Day
About the Harvey Milk Day
During the Harvey Milk Day, people conduct various activities that let them honor, remember, and continue the fight of Harvey Milk for social equality. That is why during this day, people exert effort to get to know Harvey Milk by reading a biography about him or by watching a documentary that features him. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of this day.
Harvey Milk served the San Francisco Board of Supervisors from 1877 to 1978. He dedicated his time in raising the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender or LGBT civil rights movement. While serving his post, he worked on the passage of gay rights ordinance and the elimination of Proposition 6 or the Briggs initiative which banned lesbians and gays from becoming teachers in public schools. Milk also encouraged LGBT people to be proud of themselves and to not be afraid of fighting for their rights.
In 1978, Milk was assassinated by Dan White, who was Milk’s former colleague on the Board of Supervisors and whose politics often clashed with that of Milk’s.
On October 11, 2009, governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger founded the Harvey Milk Day to be celebrated every 22nd of May each year. This date was chosen because it was Milk’s birthday.
As mentioned earlier, the Harvey Milk Day is celebrated every 22nd of May each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Friday, May 22, 2015
- Sunday, May 22, 2016
- Monday, May 22, 2017
- Tuesday, May 22,
- Wednesday, May 22,
- Friday, May 22,
- Saturday, May 22,
- Sunday, May 22, 2022
- Monday, May 22, 2023
- Wednesday, May 22, 2024
- Thursday, May 22, 2025
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Harvey Milk Day:
To Continue the Fight for Equality
Harvey Milk fought hard for the achievement of social equality in terms of gender. However, he also fought for equal rights in the aspects of race, nationality, and religion. This battle he fought has come a long way even after he died. He has inspired a lot of people and his legacy continues to live on. But the battle is not yet over. The fight for equal rights by the LGBT community and their supporters continued on. Hence, you must celebrate this day to continue this fight.
To Honor Harvey Milk
Harvey Milk’s campaign was not without risks. In fact, he constantly received death threats for the principles that he fought for. But that did not stop him from advancing the fight for equal rights. His biggest fight came when he started a state-wide initiative that battled against the discrimination homosexuals when it comes to teaching in public schools. He ultimately won that battle, which became a model for the LGBT community. Thus, you must celebrate this day to honor Harvey Milk, especially if you are a part of the LGBT community. This day is perhaps the most ideal time to honor and remember him.
To Encourage the Government to Support the LGBT Community
Milk believed government represents individuals. He used his power in the government to represent lesbians and gay people. This concept that he propagated must then be continued. That is why you must celebrate this day to continue encouraging the government to represent all individuals, including the gays and lesbians.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the Harvey Milk Day as best as it can be:
Wave a rainbow flag
The rainbow flag is the symbol of the LGBT community. It symbolizes the promotion of social and political causes of the LGBT community. It has also been called the freedom flag and the peace flag. Hence, one good idea for your celebration of this day is to wave the rainbow flag. This represents your support for LGBT people and also your support for the promotion of equal rights.
Read Milk’s speech entitled “Hope”
The “Hope” speech was the speech Harvey Milk gave when he announced his candidacy, and he later gave an expanded version at the Gay Pride Parade in San Francisco in 1978. Although the speech opens with a joke, its content is serious and he believed, “You have to give people hope”. He also knew he was fighting a difficult battle for equality and rights for LGBT people. Thus, it would be a good idea if you can celebrate this day by reading this powerful speech.
Donate to support the Harvey Milk Foundation
You can also celebrate this day by donating to support the Harvey Milk Foundation which continued the fight for equality for the LGBT community. You can visit the milkfoundation.org to find out how to support this organization.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #HarveyMilkDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
- Learn to love others irrespective of the gender for love is unconditional.
- Stop this gender inequality and let people love whomever they wish to love, so let us take the pride in Harvey Milk Day.
- Loving the same-sex ensures a stronger bond, for that, is what Harvey Milk Day is all about.
- Let the new thoughts of a better world may come to our mind on this Harvey Milk Day.
- Let us rejoice the evolving world with Harvey Milk Day.
- Love is what a person seeks, and love is what shall a person get on this Harvey Milk Day.
- Keep calm and accept the Gay people.
- Harvey Milk Day is all about finding your loved one no matter who so ever they be.
- Embrace who you are for there is nothing to hide in this Harvey Milk day.
- Homosexual people are better than the Heterosexual, for they understand that love is limitless by itself. Be proud of your choice rather than going by the society, and embrace your homosexuality.
- Harvey Milk Day is all about the freedom to enjoy who you truly are with the full extent.
- On this Harvey Milk day let no one judge you by the choices you make in your life.
- Every gay person hates the homophobic for there is no place for them to celebrate on the Harvey Milk Day.
- At the end of the day we all are people with red blood running down our veins, so why discriminate in the first place?
- “If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door.” ― Harvey Milk
- “The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, that my friends, that is true perversion!” ― Harvey Milk
- “It takes no compromise to give people their rights…it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.” ― Harvey Milk
- “All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.” ― Harvey Milk
- “All men are created equal. No matter how hard they try, they can never erase those words. That is what America is about.” ― Harvey Milk,
- “I know that you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. And you…And you…And you…Gotta give em hope.” ― Harvey Milk
- “Burst down those closet doors once and for all, and stand up and start to fight.” ― Harvey Milk
- “Hope will never be silent.” ― Harvey Milk
- “Every gay person must come out. As difficult as it is, you must tell your immediate family. You must tell your relatives. You must tell your friends if indeed they are your friends. You must tell the people you work with. You must tell the people in the stores you shop in. Once they realize that we are indeed their children, that we are indeed everywhere, every myth, every lie, every innuendo will be destroyed once and all. And once you do, you will feel so much better” ― Harvey Milk
- “It’s not my victory, it’s yours and yours and yours. If a gay can win, it means there is hope that the system can work for all minorities if we fight. We’ve given them hope.” ― Harvey Milk