The National Ice Cream Soda Day is celebrated every 20th of June each year. This day, people from all over the world enjoy drinking this popular drink made from a scoop of ice cream (usually vanilla flavored) and carbonated drink or soda. This drink has since become a popular refreshment among the people. Some even call it soda float.
National Ice Cream Soda Day
The National Ice Cream Soda day is a day dedicated to commemorate the ice cream soda, a creamy, delicious, and frothy drink. In fact, this drink was accidentally discovered. But because of its unique combination, people from different parts of the world have come to love it. Hence, this day is dedicated to remember the creation of the ice cream soda. It is actually easy to make one. Just put one scoop of ice cream to any carbonated drink you have. Coca Cola seems to be a popular choice for making this drink.
History of the National Ice Cream Day
The roots of the National Ice Cream Soda Day can be traced back to when the ice cream soda was discovered by a soda seller.
It was Robert Green who created ice cream sodas back in 1874 during the 150th Anniversary of Philadelphia. According to historians, Robert Green was selling soda when he ran out of ice. To make them cold, he used ice cream instead. Little did he know that he created a special kind of drink that will ultimately become extremely popular in all parts of the world. But during his time, he was proud of his invention. The people were happy about it. In his graves are the words Originator of the Ice Cream Soda engraved. And we thank him so much for that because we have come to love this beverage so much.
Read Also: National Iced Tea Day
When is the National Ice Cream Soda Day?
This unofficial holiday is always celebrated on the 20th of June each year. This means that people will be celebrating National Ice Cream Soda Day on June 20.
Facts About the National Ice Cream Soda Day
The following are some of the most interesting facts about the holiday that are worth sharing:
- Ice cream soda is also known as ice cream float. Such term is popular in the United Kingdom, USA, South Africa, East Asia, and Canada. In southeast Asia, the drink is called coke float. More oddly, the drink is called spider in Australia and New Zealand.
- In Mexico, the drink is called Helado flotante.
- In Guatemala, Colombia, Costa Rica, and El Salvador, the drink is called Vaca Negra which means blackout and black cow.
- The drink was accidentally invented.
- Experts claim Robert Green to be the original creator of ice cream soda, but there is another claim to it by some experts saying that Philip Mohr from New Jersey was the one who discovered the drink in 1862.
- Variations of ice cream soda exist which include nectar soda, melon ice cream soda, beer float, orange float, sherbet cooler, snow-white, and rutter beer. Cola float, and more.
How did the ice cream soda evolve?
The original ice cream soda was simply made from a simple scoop of ice cream and a carbonated drink. But nowadays, we have lots and lots of variations. For instance, we now have root beer floats, purple cows, and Boston coolers. People now celebrate the day by drinking different flavors of ice cream soda made from various kinds of ice cream and different types of carbonated drinks.
Read Also:Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Ice Cream Soda Day Celebrations
Why Celebrate the National Ice Cream Soda Day?
There are various reasons why you should celebrate this holiday. But perhaps one of the most important reasons is that ice cream soda has given you a lot of delight and refreshment. And so this day is somehow the time when you can properly thank the ice cream soda for giving you good feels and also for remembering the creator of this beverage.
How to Celebrate the National Ice Cream Soda Day?
The following are the most staple activities held for the celebration of this holiday:
Make Your Own Ice Cream Soda and Share It
The steps for making ice cream soda are:
- Prepare one full cup of milk and add a teaspoon of sugar to sweeten it.
- Add flavored syrup to any carbonated drink of your choice or just soda water.
- Add one quarter of coke, one quarter of sprite, and a spoon of lime juice. Stir well until the mix becomes frothy.
- In a bowl, mix pineapple, mango, vanilla, butter pecan, almond, bacon caramel, blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry flavored ice cream. Refrigerate for about one hour. Then pour one tablespoon of melted chocolate ice cream on top.
- In a glass, mix the milk and soda then add two scoops of your mixed ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Serve and enjoy.
Purchase Ice Cream Soda and Enjoy It
If you don’t have time to make your own ice cream soda then perhaps you can just purchase one from a beverage shop or a restaurant. For sure, these kinds of stores will offer lots of kinds of ice cream sodas during this day for they expect a lot of demand for this beverage during the celebration.
Celebrate the Day on Social Media
Another good thing to do to celebrate this day is to share your celebration on social media. You can perhaps use the hashtag #NationalIceCreamSodaDay to let your friends and followers know that you are participating in this one of a kind celebration.