The International Accounting Day is celebrated every 10th of November each year. These dedicated number crunchers are always there to assist us in various ways – at job, bank, school, and even at the government. Hence, to give them honor and gratitude, we celebrate the International Accounting Day each year.
About the International Accounting Day
During the International Accounting Day, people all over the world celebrate by expressing their gratitude towards all accountants. They give gifts and letters of appreciation to their family and friends who are accountants as well as the people they hire to be their personal accountants. The bosses of accounting firms also treat their employees during this day. They enjoy a fancy dinner out as a team. They also give recognition to top-working employees.
In 1972, the Accounting Career Day was held in San Diego. It was organized by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) and the San Diego Chapter of the California Society of CPAs. The day was held to encourage young people to pursue careers in the field of accounting.
The date of November 10 was chosen since it is the anniversary of the publication of the book entitled Summa de Arirthmetica, Geometria, Proportioni et Proportionalita. It translates to Everything About Arithmetic, Geometry, and Proportion. This book was written by Luca Pacioli in 1494. He is known as the father of modern accounting.
As mentioned earlier, the International Accounting Day is always celebrated on the 10th of November each year. This means that the dates of celebration of this occasion are as follows:
- 2021 November 10 Wednesday
- 2022 November 10 Thursday
- 2023 November 10 Friday
- 2024 November 10 Sunday
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the International Accounting Day:
Accountants Can Keep Us Safe
Accountants can police crimes related to money. In fact, FBI accountants have exerted tireless efforts to investigate fishy activities that involve money. They track down people and organizations who evade taxes. Because of this, they should be honored, which is exactly what you can do when you celebrate the International Accounting Day.
Accounting Works Behind the Oscar Votes
We all enjoy watching the Oscars hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. This award show recognizes the best of the best films of the year. Apparently, they employ certified public accountants to tabulate all Oscar ballots. According to the Academy, the accountants they employ are ideally suited for this task primarily because they are objective and they pay great attention to detail.
Accounts Know Things We Don’t Know
Accountants are very much privy to intimate details. They can access and process facts and figures we cannot understand or find out on our own. This is another fact worth celebrating during the International Accounting Day.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the International Accounting Day as best as it can be:
Shout Them Out on Social
One good idea for your celebration of this day is a very simple one and easy to do. You can just shout out to social media how happy you are greeting all accountants and wishing them good things in life. You can use the hashtag #InternationalAccountingDay to let other people know that you are participating in the celebration of this day.
Give an Accountant Something
You can also celebrate this day by giving something to an accountant. A gift or present that the person would like will be a good idea. You can also give him or her a letter of appreciation.
Help Out an Accountant
Yes, accountants have vast knowledge that a layperson would not be able to understand unless he or she undergoes the same rigorous trainings that an accountant goes through. But it does not mean that there is nothing that a normal person can do for an accountant. They may also need some help when it comes to rearranging and filing the piles of documents they have in their office. These simple gestures will surely be appreciated by accountants. You can do these for them.
- Al Capone was brought down by accountants. After escaping so many other charges, Big Al finally went to jail for tax evasion, thanks to ever hardworking FBI accountants.
- An accountant wrote history’s first words – the oldest surviving example of written language anywhere dates from around 5,000 years ago. It is written in Sumerian cuneiform and reads: “A total of 29,086 measures of barley were received over the course of 37 months. Signed, Kushim.”
- Accountants helped write the Bible – before writing the Gospel that bears his name, St. Matthew worked as a tax collector. Another tax collector was Saul, who took the name Paul after his conversion and wrote several books of the New Testament.
- An accountant invented bubble gum – accountant Walter Diemer worked for the Fleer chewing gum factory and experimented with gum recipes in his spare time. He invented the modern formula for bubble gum in 1926 and was the first to market it commercially. The gum was pink because that was the only food coloring the factory had available.
- Accountants handle the annual Oscar vote – the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences employs certified public accountants to tabulate all the Oscar ballots and declare winners.
- The BLS reports that there were 1,424,000 accounting and auditing jobs in the U.S. in 2018.
- Celebrities such as Mick Jagger, Janet Jackson, Bob Newhart, Kenny G, John Grisham and John D. Rockefeller all studied accounting — and some even started out their professional lives in that career.