People say that love is a universal force that binds all of us together. Love indeed has a very powerful impact. It is what drives and motivates us in living our daily loves. In order to celebrate the concept of love, we all celebrate the International Love Day every year during the 1st of May.
Read Also: National Couple Day
About International Love Day
International Love Day is quite a popular celebration considering the fact that it is all about celebrating the most powerful feeling of all – love. This day reminds all of us that we can achieve anything with love. Unconditional love is showing love without any boundary. It approaches is un any situation. It also allows us to understand and forgive. Love is simply an extremely powerful force that inspires our spirits allowing us to transform and heal.
During this day of celebration, people celebrate by emphasizing unconditional love. Some people celebrate by expressing how much they love their friends and family. They do so by giving gifts and letters of love to their loved ones. All forms of love are celebrated – the family-kind of love, friendship, and romantic.
The overall message of International Love Day is simple. The Love Foundation crafted a flyer in over 19 language that reads:
We are one humanity on this planet.
All life is interconnected and interdependent.
All share in the Universal bond of love.
Love begins with self-acceptance and forgiveness.
With tolerance and compassion, we embrace diversity.
Together we can make a difference through love.
BE PART OF IT. SPREAD THE WORD.
History of International Love Day
The founder of the International Love Day is the Love Foundation, founded by Harold Becker in 2004. The first ever theme of the celebration was Love Begins With Me. Ever since that day, the International Love Day became a platform where people promote unconditional love for all individuals.
The event has become popular internationally. In fact, over the past fifteen years, the Love Foundation has become a global family of individuals who has made the spreading of love their responsibility. Today, there are currently over 300 honorary love ambassadors spanning 41 countries. Their daily and monthly inspirational messages have continued to promote the practice of unconditional love to the masses.
International Love Day Dates
International Love Day is celebrated every May 1 each year.
Why Celebrate the International Love Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should take part in the celebration of International Love Day:
To Express Love to your Friends and Family
One good reason why you should participate in the celebration of this holiday is that it is the perfect opportunity for you to express your love to your friends and family. We should all accept the fact that most of us fail to express our love to these important people in our lives. Hence, celebrating this day will allow you to fill in that gap.
To Show Love to Your Partner
Another good reason why you should celebrate this day is that you can show your love to your partner. You may have a boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, or husband. Just like Valentine’s Day, this day is also for you.
Also Read: National Boyfriend Day
To Promote Understanding and Forgiveness
You should also celebrate this day to promote understanding and forgiveness. These two concepts are attained with the powerful force of love. You can encourage yourself and other people to forgive all those who may have wronged you and even ask for forgiveness to those whom you have wronged.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the International Love Day as best as it can be:
Write a Letter or a Poem
One good thing to do for your celebration of this day is to write a letter or poem for someone you love in your life. You may want to write a letter for your parents and siblings saying how much you love them. You can also make a poem instead of a letter to make it more creative. You can then give that to your loved one.
Make a Piece of Art
You can also celebrate by making a piece of art that you can give to a special person in your live. You can try to paint, draw, sculpt, or craft something. You can then gift your creation to your loved one, while expressing your love for them.
Express Your Love
There are many ways to express your love. The word “I Love You” may sound so simple but is actually difficult to say. Some people prefer not to say these words. Instead, they want to show it through their actions.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #InternationalLoveDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. If you can, you can also encourage them to participate in celebrating the holiday. You can shout out to your friends and family how much you love them in your social media accounts.
International Love Day Quotes
- A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years. ~Rupert Brooke
- A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love. ~Stendhal
- “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching, love like you’ll never be hurt, sing like there’s nobody listening, and live like it’s heaven on earth.”― William W. Purkey
- At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet. ~Plato
- Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit. ~Peter Ustinov
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”― Dr. Seuss
- Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. ~Robert Frost
- “We accept the love we think we deserve.”― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. ~Albert Einstein
- Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. ~Mother Teresa
- Life is the flower for which love is the honey. ~Victor Hugo
- “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”― Andre Gide, Autumn Leaves
- Love is a game that two can play and both win. ~Eva Gabor
- When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. ~William Shakespeare