Loyalty Day in the United States of America is observed on 1 May. It’s a day designed to “reaffirm the loyalty to the US and to recognize America’s freedom legacy.” This year, American Loyalty Day will be celebrated on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019.
Patriots who put their lives at risk to bring freedom to the country founded the United States of America. On the day of Loyalty, a day when people enjoy their freedom while recognizing their responsibility to continue the legacy of freedom, the nation’s founders are remembered. Loyalty Day is held in various communities across the United States with parades and ceremonies. These events are attended by schools, churches and local organizations.
This Loyalty Day let’s Be proud of your liberty. Be proud of your freedom of choice. And shout in rejoice: “I’m proud to be an American”!
Want to skip ahead to a particular section?
- 1 The Meaning of Loyalty Day
- 2 The History of Loyalty Day
- 3 Loyalty Day Celebrations
- 4 The Importance of Loyalty Day
- 5 National Loyalty Day in the United States of America: VFW Theme, VFW Parade Timings, VFW Celebrations
- 6 Loyalty Day Grand Parade on the Long Beach Peninsula
- 7 Loyalty Day Quick Facts
The Meaning of Loyalty Day
In accordance with the United States. Code, Loyalty Day is a day to confirm loyalty to the USA and recognize the American freedom heritage.
The United States of America was founded by patriots who put their lives at risk in order for freedom to be achieved in the country. The founders of the nation are commemorated on the day of loyalty, a day when people enjoy their freedom while acknowledging their responsibility to continue their liberty legacy.
The History of Loyalty Day
After the First Red Scare in 1921, the very first Loyalty Day was observed. It was first called the “Day of Americanization” and was meant to replace the celebration of 1 May (“May Day”), which commemorates the Haymarket affair of 1886.
Congress held on 27 April 1955, made an official holiday on July 18, 1958 (Public Law 85-529).
The first proclamation to designate May 1 as Loyalty Day in 1955 was issued by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. In his proclamation, Eisenhower declared it necessary to have a date for’ a solemn re-evaluation of the priceless freedom gifts that are the legacy of the people’ in order to stimulate and renew that high feeling of patriotism that has marked our glorious history in the nation.’ In 1958, when Eisenhower made the Day of Loyalty a formal day of remembrance, he also called it “for the proper observance of the people of this country.”
Today, every sitting president has acknowledged Loyalty Day every year with an official proclamation since its founding as a legal holiday in 1958.
Loyalty Day Celebrations
Loyalty Day is celebrated with great pride, patriotic zeal, and fervor in the United States of America. This is a day of pride in America, of loyalty to help the country to be the best, of honoring the veterans who defended the freedom of America, of showing respect for the National Flag and of showing the world the proud of Americans.
VFW host Loyalty Day celebrations throughout the country and annually a holiday proclamation is issued by the President of the United States. While Loyalty Day isn’t new, the White House annually approaches its celebration.
In 2017, President Donald Trump signed the proclamation of the day and made an appalling statement on the origin and significance of the day.
The first proclamation of Trump took on a purely partisan tone than many of the other of the past decrees because it says that the purpose of the day is not just to celebrate loyalty towards freedom, but also to “limited government,” Trump said in his proclamation:
“As one nation, we will always take a hard line against both the threat of terrorism and lawlessness. We are working through the Defense Department and other national agencies to destroy ISIS and to ensure that all Americans have the liberty that terrorists are trying to extinguish.”
Read How people Celebrate Buddha’s birthday
The Importance of Loyalty Day
The American day of loyalty makes Americans realize that their liberty is truly special, so they should be incredibly proud of it.
Woodrow Wilson once stated, “America was created not to create wealth, but to make a vision, to make an ideal, to discover and preserve freedom among men.” America was built on this ideal, and Americans have kept this ideal for two hundred years now by showing loyalty.
America is the “free land” for all the freedom you enjoy, the freedom of speech, the freedom of religion, and all of it comes down to being free to choose. You have the choice to study or to start your career.
The ultimate aim of Loyalty Day is to show patriotism and to support the special tradition of freedom. It can be done on the Loyalty Day to show your great pride in America. Let’s celebrate Loyalty Day together and tell the world that we are extremely proud of our freedom… We are proud to be Americans in our country!
National Loyalty Day in the United States of America: VFW Theme, VFW Parade Timings, VFW Celebrations
Every year, the Wisconsin Veterans of Foreign Wars give every year the honor of hosting the Loyalty Day in one city.
The 2019 Theme for Loyalty Day is: “Loyalty, The Cornerstone of Freedom”
The 2019 Loyalty Day will be hosted by Freedom VFW Post 7692 and Auxiliary
This year’s parade is to hosted by the Town of Freedom and Freedom Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7692. Freedom VFW Post 7692 strives to celebrate Wisconsin’s most prominent Loyalty Day Parade ever.
The Loyalty Day 2019 Parade Registration is open to the public and can be completed online via the PARADE REGISTRATION link. The parade begins at Freedom High School and will be followed by an opening ceremony at VFW Memorial Park in Freedom on April 27, 2019.
A shuttle to a meeting and greeting and stained glass exhibit at St. Nicholas Catholic Church and exhibits at the Freedom Area Historical Society will take place throughout the city prior to the event. All are invited to take part in the festivities. Forms of entry are currently accepted if you want to participate in the parade. Sponsorship possibilities are also available.
Loyalty Day Grand Parade on the Long Beach Peninsula
The Loyalty Day Parade on the Long Beach Peninsula is scheduled on Sunday, May 5, 2019. The theme for this year’s parade is: “Standing Together”. The parade registration tickets are open to the public, with the deadline being April 15. The registration can be made booked through Loyalty Days Foundation online form.
The Loyalty Day Parade will start at 1:00 p.m sharp. Lunch will be offered to all the parade participants at 10:00 A.M. at the Long Beach Fire Hall. Serving will end at 12:00 (Noon) ensuring enough time for the lineup.
Interesting Facts about Loyalty Day in the United States
- In 1921, Loyalty Day began as “Americanization Day” in contrast to the celebration of the Russian Revolution on 1 May of the Communists.
- 10,000 members of VFW held a rally to actively promote patriotism on New York Union Square on 1 May 1930.
- Celebrations for Loyalty Day started on 28 April 1950 and peaked on 1 May, as more than five million people held rallies across the country. More than 100,000 people came together for America in New York City.
- The Congress passed Public Law 529 in 1958, which proclaimed Loyalty Day as a permanent element in the calendar of the nation.
- The Loyalty Day holiday was highly publicized and the internet was set abuzz, shortly after American President Donald Trump’s declaration.
- The White House celebrates Loyalty Day in a different manner every year.
- Every year on Loyalty Day, the President of America issues a proclamation – calling on government officials to display the flag of the United States on all government buildings and inviting the Americans to celebrate Loyalty Day with ceremonies in schools and other places.
- Loyalty Day is not a public holiday. Schools, offices, and businesses are open as usual. Public transport services run to their normal schedules.
- Every year, there are Loyalty Day parades organized by VFW and Loyalty Days Foundation. These parades are attended by thousands of Americans.
- Each year, there’s a different theme for Loyalty Day. This year’s Loyalty Day theme is: “Loyalty, The Cornerstone of Freedom”
Loyalty Day Quick Facts
|This year:||Wed, 1 May 2019|
|Next year:||Fri, 1 May 2020|
|Last year:||Tue, 1 May 2018|
|Theme:||Loyalty, The Cornerstone of Freedom|
Liked the info? Share with your friends and let’s celebrate the USA Loyalty Day together!