The National Margarita Day is celebrated every 22nd of February each year. This day is celebrated to honor margarita, which is a cocktail usually made from the combination of tequila, triple sec, and various fruit juices such as lime or lemon. People have come to love drinking margarita so much and that is why they all love to celebrate this special day all about this tasty drink.
About the Margarita Day
Margarita is a popular alcoholic drink. It is perhaps the most widely known tequila-based cocktail in the USA. Due to its popularity, the Margarita Day is celebrated each year. That is why people conduct various activities during this day that involve margarita. They drink as much margaritas as they can by either throwing a party with that as a major drink or by partying in a club or a bar.
Some historical accounts claim that some bartenders were the ones responsible for starting the margarita day. But no other details were provided regarding this. Hence, we are not sure as to how this unofficial holiday began or even who exactly started it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why this event started – perhaps a person or a group of people (maybe bartenders) thought that margarita is one of the most loved drinks in the world. We already have celebrations like the Beer Day and the Tequila Day so why not start a holiday for Margaritas? Hence, the Margarita Day was born.
As mentioned earlier, the Margarita Day is celebrated every 22nd of February each year. This means that the upcoming Margarita Day will be celebrated on Saturday, February 22, And the dates of celebration are as follows:
- February 22 Saturday
- February 22 Monday
- 2022 February 22 Tuesday
- 2023 February 22 Wednesday
- 2024 February 22 Thursday
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Margarita Day:
Margaritas Bring Fun
When there’s margarita, there is fun. Who doesn’t love to drink margarita? They are most fun to drink while partying. Hence, they are always associated with the word “fun”. People who drink them become outgoing and energetic. People who drink them basically just have some fun times. So if you want to experience that same feeling, then you should go celebrate this day and drink margaritas all night long.
Margaritas are Delicious
Margaritas will not be popular if it weren’t for their delicious taste. They surely are a delight to the taste buds. Before people get to feel the good effects of drinking margarita, they first feel the deliciousness of this beverage. If you want to drink some tasty alcoholic drinks, then it should be the margarita on the Margarita Day.
There are Varieties of Margaritas
Also a good reason to celebrate this day is that you can indulge yourself in the many varieties of margaritas available during this celebration. These varieties arise from different liquor, sweetener, and fruit juice used for making the beverage. The good thing is that you can indulge yourself in as many of these varieties as you can during this special day of celebration.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the Margarita Day as best as it can be:
Throw a Margarita Party
There is no better way to celebrate this day than to drink up margarita all night long by throwing a margarita party. You can prepare different varieties of margarita plus some foods and then invite your friends over at your venue in order to enjoy a fun party.
Party in a Bar or Club
If you don’t want to throw a party, then you can just celebrate by partying in a bar or a club that offers margarita. This is your chance to drink the most deliciously blended margaritas, have a fun time with your friends, and meet new people at the place.
Margarita Day Celebration on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalMargaritaDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this special day.
- The origin of margarita is quite obscure. No one is quite sure who invented the margarita, but there are a lot of theories. The most widely spread rumor is that an American socialite named Margarita Sames created the drink for her friends in 1948.
- Margarita means Daisy in Spanish.
- In 1971, the first frozen margarita machine was invented.
- The salt used in margarita is there to bring out the sweet and sour flavors of the drink; even just a pinch will help subdue the bitterness and enhance the flavor of the beverage. On top of this, salt intensifies the drinker’s perception of the drink’s aromas, making the flavors even more powerful.
- Margarita was the most ordered mixed drink of 2008, according to the Cheers On-Premise Handbook. That year, Americans consumed 185,000 margaritas per hour, on the average.
- Margarita has tons of varieties. Different fruits like peaches, mangos, and pineapple can be added to give the drink a more tropical feel. Some replace the salt with sugar, or garnish with sage or coriander leaves.
- The Flamingo Hotel’s Margaritaville Casino in Las Vegas holds the honor of making the largest margarita in the world. This enormous drink was 8500 gallons (32,176 liters) and “served” in a 17-foot-tall tank. It took 60 people 300 hours to create. The drink, called the “Lucky Rita,” was created to celebrate the opening of the casino in 2011.
- In 2013, 230 FIFTH Rooftop Bar & Penthouse Lounge in Manhattan baited partiers with a frozen margarita that used some incredibly high-end ingredients—the tequila alone costed $1800 a bottle.
- There is a competition that involve margaritas. The Tucson Originals and the Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance get together every year to bring the public the World Margarita Championship. Renowned bartenders from Tucson come to duke it out for the honor of best margarita in Arizona. Visitors also vote for their favorites in a People’s Choice category. Last year’s overall winner was an orange jalapẽno margarita by Eric Brenner of Pastiche.