The National Apple Dumpling Day is held every 17th of September each year. This day gives honor and recognition to apple dumplings, which has become one of the most favorite desserts by the people. It is just right in time for the autumn season, where apple fruits are harvested. Apple dumpling is made by peeling apples then placing them on a pastry, putting in some sugar and cinnamon at the top, then folding some dough around. The pastry is baked and made tender. The result is the apple dumpling which tastes very similar to an apple pie.
About the National Apple Dumpling Day
During the National Apple Dumpling Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to bake their own apple dumplings by collecting all the needed ingredients, which can be easily obtained from the grocery store. Other people prefer to order some apple dumplings from the bakery or local pastry shop. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
Historical reports claim that apple dumplings originated in the Northeastern USA, around the area of Pennsylvania. It was frequently eaten during breakfast. Recipes for it were often found in Amish recipes. They were also eaten as dessert, and sometimes paired with ice cream.
With limited knowledge about the origins of apple dumplings, even less is known about the history of the National Apple Dumpling Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that apple dumpling is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Apple Dumpling Day is celebrated every 17th of September each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Thursday, September 17, 2020
- Friday, September 17, 2021
- Saturday, September 17, 2022
- Sunday, September 17, 2023
- Tuesday, September 17, 2024
- Wednesday, September 17, 2025
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the National Apple Dumpling Day:
They are Nutritious
There is a famous saying that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Some doctors, however, say that bananas a better. Regardless, apples are still very nutritious. Thus, if you want a healthy dessert, you should join the celebration of the National Apple Dumpling Day.
They are Delicious
This apple dumpling will surely satisfy your sugar cravings. Consider this a healthy dessert. You can indulge yourself into eating this yummy pastry while at the same time not being too much guilty about how its sugar contents. It still contains the apple, one of the healthiest fruits there is. But of course, the pastry itself is so delicious. If you haven’t tasted one yet, don’t miss the celebration of the National Apple Dumpling Day.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Apple Dumpling Day as best as it can be:
Make Some Delicious Apple Dumplings
Of course, the best way to celebrate this day is to make your own apple dumplings. To do that, combine 3 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Put in 1 cup shortening until the texture becomes crumbly. Add in 1/3 cup of cold water gradually. Toss with fork until you see a ball dough. Divide into portions, preferably into how many apples you have. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Peel your apples then roll each portion of the dough into square. Place the apple into each square. Top with 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar. Wrap the entire apple with the dough. Pinch to seal.
Place the dumpling into a greased baking tray. Sprinkle some more cinnamon-sugar at the top. Bake for 50 minutes at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After baking, serve and enjoy!
Order Some from the Bakery
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order some apple dumplings from the bakery or pastry shop. For sure, these stores will be offerings lots of these breads during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this pastry will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a bakery or pastry shop that offers delicious apple dumplings. A renowned pastry shop or bakery will do. This alternative is best for people who want to indulge themselves into some good apple dumplings yet they do not have the time to make some for themselves.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalAppleDumplingDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how fun you are enjoying your day.
National Apple Dumpling Day Quotes
- “Coleridge holds that a man cannot have a pure mind who refuse apple-dumplings. I am not certain but that he is right.” – Charles Lamb
- “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.” ― J.K. Rowling
- “An apple tree is just like a person. In order to thrive, it needs companionship that’s similar to it in some ways, but quite different than others.” ― Jeffrey Stepakoff, The Orchard
- “It’s unsettling to meet people who don’t eat apples.” ― Aimee Bender
- “Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don’t count on harvesting Golden Delicious.” ― Bill Meyer
- “It’s when the apples ripen in the fall that I come to realize what the trees have been up to all summer. And when the fall of my life comes, will I have apples?” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “You would not go into an apple orchard and eat the weeds so why would you go into your day and feast on worries?.” – Pat McBride
- “An apple a day keeps anyone away, if you throw it hard enough.” – Stephen Colbert
- “If you never tasted a bad apple, you would not appreciate a good apple. You have to experience life to understand life.” – Leon Brown