The National Chop Suey Day is held every 29th of August every year. This celebration gives recognition to chop suey, a delicious Chinese cuisine. Chop suey means assorted pieces. It is mainly composed of vegetables like cabbage, celery, and bean sprouts. It also contains meat such as chicken, pork, prawns, fish, or beef. The dish also contains eggs. Usually, this dish is served with rice.
About the National Chop Suey Day
During the National Chop Suey Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make their own Chop Suey at home. Others prefer to eat in a Chinese restaurant with their friends and family. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
Some people say that Chop Suey originated in China itself. Others claim that the dish was invented by Chinese Americans. On a different account, an anthropologist named E.N. Anderson found that tsap seui is a term that means leftovers. The term came from the Taishain district in Guangdong province in China. Many Chinese from this area migrated to the USA. There is also another claim that chop suey was invented in the 19th century by Chinese Americans working in a transcontinental railroad.
With some knowledge about the origins of Chop Suey, even less is known about the history of the National Chop Suey Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that chop suey is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Chop Suey Day is celebrated every 29th of August each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Saturday, August 29, 2020
- Sunday, August 29, 2021
- Monday, August 29, 2022
- Tuesday, August 29, 2023
- Thursday, August 29, 2024
- Friday, August 29, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Chop Suey Day as best as it can be:
Make Your Own Chop Suey
Perhaps the best way to celebrate this day is to make your own chop suey. Fortunately for you, making one is extremely easy. You only need to toss all the needed ingredients into a pan. If you need help, you can search the web for an online recipe or a video tutorial that will teach you how to make the best chop suey. Whatever it is that you have made, serve and enjoy. It will be better if you can share some with your family and friends.
Dine Out in a Chinese Restaurant
If you don’t have time to make your own chop suey, then you can just resort to eating out in a Chinese restaurant that serves good chop suey. Just make sure to find this amazing restaurant so that you will not become disappointed with the chop suey you will eat for this celebration.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalChopSueyDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how fun you are enjoying your day.
National Chop Suey Day Quotes
- I like to say, ‘Chop suey’s the biggest culinary joke that one culture has ever played on another,’ because chop suey, if you translate into Chinese, means ‘tsap sui,’ which, if you translate back, means ‘odds and ends.’ – Jennifer Lee
- Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. – Albert Einstein
- We should all be eating fruits and vegetables as if our lives depend on it – because they do. – Michael Greger
- As long as there’s pasta and Chinese food in the world, I’m okay. – Michael Chang
- I may have ruined my life, but at least I got to eat some really good Chinese food. – Louis Sachar
- Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. – Doug Larson
- A diet rich in fruits and vegetables plays a role in reducing the risk of all the major causes of illness and death – Walter Willett
- When it comes to Chinese food I have always operated under the policy that the less known about the preparation the better. A wise diner who is invited to visit the kitchen replies by saying, as politely as possible, that he has a pressing engagement elsewhere. – Calvin Trillin
- Alcohol is the devil and I need Chinese food. – Rihanna
- Green strongly influences the heart and helps alleviate tension. Positive qualities associated with green are generosity, humility, and cooperation. Foods of the green vibration are all green fruits and green vegetables. – Tae Yun Kim