The National Crème de Menthe is held every 15th of September to give recognition to Crème de Menthe, which is a creamy liquor flavored peppermint that is used in making cocktails and desserts. It would be best if you celebrate this event as you enjoy indulging yourself in the many varieties of drinks and sweet treats that you can make with Crème de Menthe.
About the National Crème de Menthe Day
Crème de Menthe is a French term for mint cream. It is a sweet alcoholic beverage flavored mint from Corsican. It comes in two varieties: green and white. It is made by steeping dried mint leaves in a grain alcohol for some weeks. It is then filtered and then sweetened with sugar. It can be served by itself as a drink on the rocks. It can also be used in making different cocktails. It is also usually added in different food recipes as a flavoring or topping.
During the National Crème de Menthe Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people let indulge themselves in Crème de Menthe. They find time to relax while drinking this sweet and delicious liquor. Other people try to make different recipes and desserts that make use of Crème de Menthe as an ingredient. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
Most of the alcoholic beverages or liquors that we all enjoy today originated from the cure-alls and tonic developed by pharmacists back in the day. The Crème de Menthe is one of those. Emile Giffard, a French pharmacist, studied the digestive and cooling properties of mint. His study eventually led him to creating a recipe for making Crème de Menthe. The traditional formula for making one involves steeping dried peppermint or Corsican leaves in grain alcohol for some weeks. This method gives the Crème de Menthe its natural green color. The beverage is then filtered and sweetened using sugar.
Some popular cocktails that we know have Crème de Menthe as an ingredient. Two of them are the Stinger and the Grasshopper. Because of the Crème de Menthe’s properties for good digestion, the drink is best drunk after meal. It can also be used in making deserts such as a milkshake topped with ice cream.
With limited knowledge about the origins of Crème de Menthe, even less is known about the history of the National Crème de Menthe Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that Crème de Menthe is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Crème de Menthe Day is celebrated every 15th of September each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Tuesday, September 15,
- Wednesday, September 15,
- Thursday, September 15, 2022
- Friday, September 15, 2023
- Sunday, September 15, 2024
- Monday, September 15, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Crème de Menthe Day as best as it can be:
Relax on Crème de Menthe
There is nothing better than celebrating this day by indulging yourself in Crème de Menthe. Drink it pure while sitting on a comfortable couch. You can have a relaxing afternoon or evening by yourself. Or, you can invite your family and friends to drink the liquor with you.
Make Some Cocktails with Crème de Menthe
Another good idea for your celebration of this event is to make some cocktails that make use of Crème de Menthe. You can make a Stinger by combining 5 parts of cognac, 2 parts of Crème de Menthe, and ice in a cocktail glass. Serve this and enjoy.
You can also make a Grasshopper by combining 1 part of Crème de cacao, 1 part of Crème de Menthe, 1 part of fresh cream, and ice in a shaker. Shake thoroughly then pour on a cocktail glass. Serve and enjoy!
Throw a Party
What good are those cocktails that you have made if you don’t enjoy a fun celebration with your friends. With that, you can make the celebration much more socialized by throwing a party with the main cocktails having Crème de Menthe. Serve the two popular ones – Grasshopper and Stinger. You can also search the web for other varieties of cocktails that you can make with Crème de Menthe. You can even become creative yourself by inventing a cocktail of your own.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalCrèmedeMentheDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how fun you are enjoying your day.
National Crème de Menthe Day Quotes
- “No amount of physical contact could match the healing powers of a well-made cocktail.” — David Sedaris
- “Hear no evil, speak no evil, and you won’t be invited to cocktail parties.” — Oscar Wilde
- “Here’s to alcohol, the rose-colored glasses of life.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “There are two kinds of people I don’t trust: people who don’t drink and people who collect stickers.” — Chelsea Handler
- “Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.” — Frank Sinatra
- “I drink to make other people more interesting.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Drink today, and drown all sorrow; you shall perhaps not do it tomorrow; best, while you have it, use your breath; there is no drinking after death.” — Ben Jonson
- “I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.” — W.C. Fields
- “Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” — Omar Khayyám
- “Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.” — Dave Barry
- “Writer’s block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol.” — Steve Martin
- “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Benjamin Franklin