The National Day of Hope is celebrated every first Wednesday of April each year. This day is celebrated within the National Child Abuse Prevention Month. It aims to raised awareness about the plight of children who suffer from neglect and abuse which can be in the form of physical or verbal maltreatment, assault, injury, rape, violation, or other kinds of aggression. This day also reminds everyone to help children all over the world. The primary purpose of the day is to strive to stop child abuse and neglect.
About the National Day of Hope
During the National Day of Hope, people do all sorts of activities that let them help children, especially those in need. They volunteer in orphanages or make donations to charities that help these children. People also shout out on social media how they are celebrating this day and also inform others how they can help.
It was in the year 2000 when a Congressional resolution was passed to declare a celebration called the National Day of Hope. It was proposed by an organization called Child help, founded by Yvonne Fedderson and Sara O’Meara, which aims to help spread hope all over the world.
As mentioned above, the National Day of Hope is celebrated every first Wednesday of April each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- 1 April
- 5 April
- 6 April 2022
- 5 April 2023
- 3 April 2024
- 2 April 2025
- 1 April 2026
- 7 April 2027
- 5 April 2028
- 4 April 2029
- 3 April 2030
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the National Day of Hope:
To Help Children
One good reason to celebrate this day is that by doing so, you will be able to help children, especially those in need of help. There are a lot of children in the world who needs your help – those who are starving, those who get bullied, those who are abused by their parents, and many more. This is your opportunity to become a hero for these children.
To Stop Child Abuse in General
Also, if you celebrate this day, you can stop child abuse in general. This has many forms in itself. If you celebrate this day, you will be able to contribute towards changing this cruel world.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Day of Hope as best as it can be:
Donate to Charities that Take Care of Children
You can celebrate this day by donating to charities that take care of children. There are a lot of these out there. Your donation need not be large in amount. Any amount of cash that you can contribute will surely go a long way towards helping the kids.
You can also celebrate this day by raising awareness about the issues faced by children. This will allow you to inform other people that such problems exist and that their help is needed in order to eliminate these problems.
Volunteer in Orphanages
You can also volunteer in orphanages during this day. The children living here are those that were abandoned by their parents or those whose parents already died. These children need help and it might be your help that can put a smile on their faces.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You may, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalDayOfHope to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
- Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the darkness of the soul. – Dave Pelzer
- Abuse changes your life…Fight Back and change the life of your abusers by Breaking Your Silence on Abuse! – Patty Rase Hopson
- Child abuse casts a shadow the length of a lifetime. – Herbert Ward
- The only reason why child abuse is alive today, is because we as adults fail our children when we fail to listen to them. Listen to a child today! – Heather McClane
- Abuse manipulates and twists a child’s natural sense of trust and love. Her innocent feelings are belittled or mocked and she learns to ignore her feelings. She can’t afford to feel the full range of feelings in her body while she’s being abused—pain, outrage, hate, vengeance, confusion, arousal. So she short-circuits them and goes numb. For many children, any expression of feelings, even a single tear, is cause for more severe abuse. Again, the only recourse is to shut down. Feelings go underground. – Laura Davis
- Child abuse is a problem no one really talks about. Abuse and neglect is the number 1 cause of injury to children in the country. More children die of abuse or neglect than of natural causes. – Donna Miller
- Child abuse does not go away, but 90 percent of child abuse is preventable. – Karen Adams
- Whilst child abuse may be committed behind closed doors, it should never be swept under the carpet. – Constance Briscoe
- It’s important to talk about it. You raise awareness. But you can also prevent child abuse by not letting it be a secret. – Chris Witty
- Unfortunately, I experienced some sexual abuse. It was a known and admitted fact of life amongst us that there was this particular man, and you didn’t want to be left in the dressing room with him. It took many years to come to terms with it and to forgive those incidents that I felt had deeply hurt me. – Gabriel Byrne