Disney is an extremely famous brand known all over the world. This brand embodies all the films, television stories, books, theme parks, and other various franchises that have become ubiquitous to us. The main mascot of Disney is Mickey Mouse. The man behind this great company is none other than Walter Elias Disney, from which the name of the brand also came from. Because of the much love for the Disney brand in general, people celebrate the National Disney Day every year on December 1st.
Want to skip ahead to a particular section?
- 1 About National Disney Day
- 1.1 History
- 1.2 Dates
- 1.3 Why Celebrate
- 1.4 How To Celebrate: Ideas and Activities
- 1.5 Interesting Facts
About National Disney Day
The National Disney Day celebrates all things associated with Disney. However, the main essence of this day revolves around remembering, honoring, and praising Walt Disney who is the founder of the brand. Hence, people do various activities involving anything related to Disney, the company, and Walt Disney, the founder. Some people watch their favorite Disney films. Others spend time and money visiting Disney theme parks.
Who is Walt Disney?
Walt Disney was an American animator, film producer, voice actor, and entrepreneur. He is considered to be the pioneer of the American animation industry. He developed the first ever highly popular cartoon character – Mickey Mouse. He also developed feature-length cartoons such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Pinocchio (1940), Fantasia (1940), Dumbo (1941), Bambi (1942), Cinderella (1950), and Mary Poppins (1964). As a result of his extreme talents, Walt Disney holds the record for having the highest number of Academy Awards (22 Oscars).
Walt Disney was born in 1901 in Chicago. He lived in their family farm located at Missouri in 1906. He moved to Kansas City in 1911 where he attended a grammar school. In 1919, his career as an illustrator and artist kicked off. In 1928, he created Mickey Mouse, which he sketched while he was on a bus. This cartoon character eventually became the centerpiece of the entire Disney brand. In 1966, Disney died of circulatory collapse due to lung cancer. He was 65 years old.
Disney in Current Days
Currently, Disney is one of the biggest brands in the world. The company is known for its characters, especially Mickey Mouse, the Disney Princesses, Elsa and Anna from Frozen, and many more. Disney also owns the popular Star Wars brand. They also handle some Marvel superheroes today. Disney is also known for its high end theme parks scattered all over the world.
Origin of the National Disney Day
We can make a good guess as to why this holiday started. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that Disney has become a remarkable company in the world and Walt Disney is one of the greatest figures in the film industry that these two deserve a special day of dedication. Hence, the start of the celebration of the National Disney Day.
The National Disney Day is always celebrated on December 1 each year. This means that the upcoming National Disney Day 2019 will be celebrated on Sunday, December 1, 2019.
The following are the main reasons why you should celebrate the National Disney Day:
To Appreciate the Fact that the World Was Cheered Up
Apart from the entertaining Mickey Mouse cartoon, Disney released various films that have entertained, cheered up, and inspired the whole world. You yourself have most likely enjoyed watching Disney films that have made your day. Hence, it is just right for you to celebrate this holiday so as to give back appreciation where credit is due.
To Celebrate Creativity and Imagination
Another reason to celebrate this day is that this is the perfect opportunity to celebrate creativity and imagination. The first set of feature-films created by Walt Disney led into the Disney Renaissance. And because of these developments, we now enjoy watching a lot of modern Disney animated films crafted with utmost creativity and imagination. Let us thanks Walt Disney for that.
To Appreciate the Most Famous Mouse in the World
Mickey Mouse is the most famous mice in the world. He has become a world icon along with his girl counterpart, Minnie Mouse. He has become a legend that almost all of us know today.
How To Celebrate: Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Disney Day as best as it can be:
Inform Others About the Holiday
One good thing to do for this holiday is to inform other people about the National Disney Day. A lot of people may not know that such holiday is being celebrated each year. This is the perfect day for them to do any activity that they want which involves Disney.
Visit the Disney Theme Park
This day is also the perfect excuse for you to spend some time and cash going on a trip to Disneyland. The Disneyland is perhaps the most popular theme park in the world. It has different sites in different parts of the world. You can visit this part and have a very much enjoyable day there during the National Disney Day.
Have a Disney Marathon
Another good thing to do to make your celebration of this day wonderful is to have a Disney marathon. You can take this day as your opportunity to watch all the Disney films that you love. Some recommended films that you can watch or rewatch include Mulan, Frozen, Tangled, Pocahontas, Wall-E, Meet the Robinsons, and many more.
The following are some good facts about Disney that are worth sharing:
- Everyone thought that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will fail at the box office. Even Walt Disney’s wife, Lillian, thought that the movie would go completely bomb.
- A disorder called Bambi Complex is referenced to Bambi, a popular Disney character who is an animal, specifically a deer. Bambi lost its mother when it was shot by a hunter. People suffering from the Bambi Complex are very sympathetic and sentimental towards animals and the wildlife. They strongly oppose hunting, controlled wildfires, and other violent or abusive treatment of animals.
- Another disorder called the Cinderella Complex is also another reference to a popular Disney character named Cinderella, an orphan maltreated by her stepmother and stepsisters but eventually got a new and successful life after marrying a prince. A person suffering from Cinderella Complex is described as someone who is very dependent, emotionally and financially, to a man.
- Walt Disney’s favorite piece of animation was the transformation of Cinderella from wearing a torn dress into a beautiful gown after being helped by her fairy godmother.
- The Lady and the Tramp was inspired by a real dog named Lady. In addition, the Lady and the Tramp was the first ever animation made in Cinemascope. Also, the spaghetti scene in this animated film, a famous one, almost did not appear in the final movie.
- The Sleeping Beauty, although popular today, actually flopped at the box office when it was released. Because of this, Disney did not make any princess movie until 30 years later in 1989, when The Little Mermaid was released. It was a critical and commercial success and spawned a sequel.