The National Doughnut Day is a holiday celebrated every first Friday of June each year. During this day, we celebrate our favorite round snack or dessert that has lots of available flavor. Some people call these desserts doughnuts while others call them donuts. They are actually pronounced the same but their spellings are quite different. Because of the extreme love for donuts by the people, we celebrate the National Doughnut Day each year. People enjoy celebrating this day as much as they enjoy celebrating the World Nutella Day. During this day, various activities related to doughnuts are conducted by people all over the world
Want to skip ahead to a particular section?
- 1 What is National Donuts day?
- 2 History of National Donut day
- 3 What is the history of National Doughnut Day?
- 4 When is National Doughnut Day?
- 5 What is to love about national donut day:
- 6 Deals for last year’s National Donut Day:
- 7 27 Facts About the National Doughnut Day:
- 8 How to Celebrate National Doughnut Day?
What is National Donuts day?
National Donuts day originated in the United States on the first Friday of June each year. This day celebrates doughnuts. A doughnut is a fried dough confection which is usually eaten as dessert or as a snack. It now has various forms but the usual shape we see is the round one with a hole at the center. Though most donuts today don’t have these holes. Instead, they have fillings inside. During the National Doughnut Day, activities such as donut making, eating donuts, and donut parties are conducted by people.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy donuts, and that’s the kind of the same thing.”
Since National donut day, is not very far, so gear up and get ready for the sweetest celebration of this year.
History of National Donut day
The history of donuts is quite disputed and is not clearly known. What we know for sure is that the iconic shape of donuts with the hole in the middle started to make appearance in the USA during the mid-1800s. According to some rumors, it was a man named Hanson Gregory who created the donuts. There are people saying that the iconic shape of the donut was created by punching a hole in the center of a tin pepper box. During the early days of donuts, not much varieties and flavors were in existence. But now, we have lots of them. For instance, we have choco butternut, strawberry filled, avocado, Bavarian, blueberry cheesecake, and more.
What is the history of National Doughnut Day?
The National Doughnut Day started in 1938. The celebration started as a fundraiser for The Salvation Army of Chicago. The purpose of that fundraiser was to help those who were in need during the Great Depression were a lot of people were struggling financially due to the extreme economic crisis. Another purpose of that celebration was to honor the Salvation Army Lassies of World War I who served doughnuts to the soldiers. Now, the National Doughnut Day has become a yearly celebration. This celebration started in the US but it has already spread to different parts of the world.
When is National Doughnut Day?
This holiday is always celebrated on the first Friday of June each year. This means that this year, people will be celebrating the National Doughnut Day on June 7, 2019.
Types of Donuts:
Let me share a few types of donuts, which are available with different names around the world.
- In Argentina, it is called kreppel.
- In Brazil, it is called Sonho.
- In Chile, it is called Berlin.
- In Finland, it’s called munkki.
- In France, it’s called beignets.
- In Hawaii, it’s called Malasada.
- In Greece, It’s called Kleinur.
- In Libya, it’s called sfinz.
- In Madagascar, it’s called Mofo Boule.
- In Morocco, it’s called Sfenj.
- In Nigeria, it is called Chin Chin.
- In Scotland, it called Doughrings.
So, this national doughnut day is a good chance to try all the different recipes of doughnut
What is to love about national donut day:
- I think the doughnut is a great way to lift someone’s mood and it is a great way to celebrate your happiness.
- If you are on a diet and so exhausted of your same boring routine, then this is your chance to take a day off and satisfy your craving, as cheat day once in a while will not ruin your hard work.
- Just for the old times’ sake, you can have a doughnut to keep your inner child alive.
Deals for last year’s National Donut Day:
- Krispy Kreme, which is famous for its yummy donuts, gave away 50,000 donuts. So do not forget to grab them on your way home.
- Dunkin Donuts, our very own and most favorite gave away free donut if you purchase a drink.
- Papa John’s that’s famous for its pizza is also offering free donuts, with the online purchase of pizza
- Winn-Dixie offered donuts at half the price.
- Burger King launched its Whopper Donut and claimed it to be a grilled donut.
- Bi-Lo charged half price for the donuts.
- Duck Donuts offered free donuts to its customers.
- Wal-Mart, the biggest supermarket gave away free donuts to its customers around the world.
27 Facts About the National Doughnut Day:
- According to a survey by Statista of 29000 Americans, 61% of them eat donuts.
- There are almost 8000, 1000 and 800 shops for Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme and Tim Horton’s in the US.
- There is a Guinness world record by Philip Joseph Santoro of eating a jam donut quickly, without hands or licking the donut from lips and he did it in 11.41 seconds.
- Krispy Kreme based in the UK made the most expensive donut in 2014, by filling it with Dom Perignon jelly with an icing of passion fruit glaze. The donut was on top of a handmade lotus flower made from Belgium chocolate and topping of 24-karat gold leaf and diamonds both edible. The cost was 1000 pounds.
- According to theories, Donuts are an American, British and Dutch creation.
- The famous author, Washington Irwin was the first person to explain donut in print.
- According to stats, approximately 10 billion donuts are made in the US every year.
- Spudnuts was the first one to make donuts from mashed potatoes and potato starch.
- In Boston, they have one donut shop for every 2480 people.
- An actress Renee Zellweger used to eat 20 donuts daily, to gain weight for a rule.
- Donuts were titled as “Hit food of the Century of Progress” in 1933, at Chicago’s world fair.
- Previously, donuts were called as Olykoeks means oily cakes by Dutch.
- If you are a diet conscious person, then this fact is for you. That raspberry jam filled donut of Krispy Kreme that you love 300 calories, and the donut with chocolate topping has 350 calories.
- By adding a donut in your diet, you can gain one pound after every ten
- Jelly donuts are supposed to be lucky If you eat them on New Year’s Eve according to Americans.
- According to research, the hole in the donut represents the condition of the economy, means if the whole is bigger than the economy is in worse condition.
- The proper term for these delicacies is doughnut. But donut is also acceptable. In classic dictionaries, you will find doughnut in the list but not donuts. But the Merriam-Webster dictionary now lists donut as a term and variant of the word doughnut.
- While the National Doughnut Day is celebrated on the first Friday of June, the National Glazed Doughnut Day is celebrated on January 12.
- There are two National Doughnut Days: one in the first Friday of June and another one on November 5.
- June 8 is the National Jelly Filled Doughnut Day. This year, this celebration comes after the June 7th celebration of the National Doughnut Day.
- September 14 is the National Crème-Filled Doughnut Day.
- More than 10 billion donuts are produced each year in the United States alone.
- The largest doughnut ever made was about 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high.
- In per capita terms, Canada has more doughnut shops than any other country in the world.
- The doughnut machine was invented by Adolph Levitt in 1920.
- The doughnut industry in the United States is worth more than 3.6 billlion dollars.
- The Guinness World Record for highest number of donuts consumed in a time frame is held by John Haight who ate 29 donuts in just over 6 minutes.
How to Celebrate National Doughnut Day?
Various activities are done by people to maximize their celebration of the National Doughnut Day and make it as fun and enjoyable as possible. Some of these activities are:
Indulge in Eating Varieties of Donuts
Of course, the best way to celebrate this day is by eating different kinds of donuts. There are tons and tons of flavors available and it is up to you to choose which one you should eat. There are also different stores, shops, and bakeries offering different kinds of donuts. Some of the most popular ones include Dunkin, Krispy Kreme, and J.Co.
Make Your Own Donuts
You can make the celebration a lot more fun by making your own donuts instead of buying them. You can opt to either make fried donuts or baked ones. You can look for an online recipe or a cookbook that will teach you how to make good tasting donuts.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of the day on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #NationalDoughnutDay to let you friends and family know that you are taking part in this one of a kind celebration.
“New Mysteries, New day, Fresh donuts.“