National Egg Nog Day is celebrated every 24th of December each year. This day gives recognition to egg nog – everyone’s favorite dairy-based beverage. This event is observed right before Christmas Day. Eggnog is a popular drink in the USA, especially during the holidays. It is sometimes called egg milk punch.
Eggnog is a sweetened beverage that is dairy-based. It contains cream, milk, sugar, egg, and spices. When served at parties and events, liquor such as vodka, bourbon, whiskey, rum, brandy, or a combination of any of these is added into eggnog. The glass is then garnished with nutmeg, cinnamon, or pumpkin spice. If you are a fan of eggnogs, then you should not miss out on the celebration of National Egg Nog Day.
Read More: World Egg Day
About the National Egg Nog Day
During National Egg Nog Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make their own eggnogs at home. Other people prefer to drink eggnog in a café or any beverage shop that offers it. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
The exact origin of eggnog is still up for debate. Some people believe that the beverage was invented in East Anglia in England. Others believe that it originated in medieval Europe.
There are also different theories about the beverage’s name. There is a story that claims that eggnog was first termed egg n’ grog. This was then shortened to just eggnog. Another story claims that the term eggnog got its name from “nog”, an Old English word that means strong ale. This word is then added to the egg to form eggnog.
With limited knowledge about the origins of eggnog, even less is known about the history of the National Eggnog Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such an event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that eggnogs are much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot on the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, National Eggnog Day is celebrated every 24th of December each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Thursday, December 24, 2020
- Friday, December 24, 2021
- Saturday, December 24, 2022
- Sunday, December 24, 2023
- Tuesday, December 24, 2024
- Wednesday, December 24, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Eggnog Day as best as it can be:
Make Some Egg Nogs
Obviously, the best thing to do for your celebration of this day is to make some egg nogs. To do that, follow the steps below:
- 4 pieces of egg yolks, and 4 pieces of egg whites
- 1 and 1/3 cups of sugar
- 1 pint of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 ounces of bourbon
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmegs
- Beat egg yolks in a bowl until they lighten in color. Gradually add in 1/3 cups of sugar and continue to beat until they are fully dissolved. Mix in cream, milk, bourbon, and nutmeg. Continue stirring to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and beat. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until fully dissolved.
- Combine the egg whites with the mixture made in step 1.
- In a medium saucepan at high heat, combine heavy cream, milk, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat then gradually add in your previously made mixture. Return to heat until temperature reaches 160 F. Remove from heat, and add in some more bourbon. Put in a mixing bowl and then into the fridge to chill.
- After chilling, pour the beverage in a cup or liquor glass. Serve the delicious eggnog and enjoy.
Buy Some Egg Nogs from a Café
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order eggnog from a café or anywhere else where it is offered. For sure, these stores will be offerings lots of these drinks during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this beverage will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a café or drink shop that offers good eggnogs.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalEggNogDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day.
National Egg Nog Day Quotes
- “Did someone say, ‘more eggnog?’ Don’t mind if I do.”
- “Keep calm, because it’s time for eggnog.”
- “Raise your hand if you think it’s unfair that eggnog is only available for a couple of months a year.”
- “If you don’t like eggnog, that’s just more for me.”
- “Don’t hog the eggnog.”
- “Sleigh the day away with some eggnog.”
- “It’s the most eggcellent time of the year.”
- “It’s the most wonderful time of the year… to have another glass of eggnog.”
- “Facts: Eggnog is all that it’s cracked up to be.”
- “Ho-ho-hoping that you have a very Merry Christmas filled with lots of eggnogs.”
- “Stir the eggnog and have a Merry Christmas.”
- “Life happens. Eggnog helps.”
- “Hands off my eggnog.”
- “I’m so excited for eggnog lattes.”
- “Spend Christmas with the ones you love, like egg and nog.”
- You know I’m all about that ‘nog.”
- “You can’t egg-nore the holiday cheer around you.”
- “Dear Santa, there better be eggnog under the tree this year.”
- “I like pa-rum pum pum pum in my eggnog.”