Did someone wrong you in the past? Did that person do something bad that it may seem as if is unforgivable? How about you? Have you done something that you think is unforgivable? If your answer to either or both of these questions is a yes, then Forgiveness Day is the day of celebration for you. This day honors forgiveness in all of its forms. During this day, people all over the world prioritize forgiveness – asking for forgiveness to people they have wronged, or forgiving people who have wronged them.
Learn About National Forgiveness Day
National Forgiveness Day is celebrated on July 7th. During this day, people take advantage of great opportunities to embody forgiveness. People forgive people who have wronged them. People also ask for forgiveness from people they have wronged.
Forgiveness is extremely important. Holding onto anger is not beneficial to anyone. In fact, unresolved anger can lead to health problems such as unmanaged stress. People who cannot forgive cannot experience happiness, or at least up to its full potential. Yes, forgiveness may be a difficult thing to do. And this is the purpose of Forgiveness Day – to let people know the importance of forgiving someone and asking for forgiveness.
Read Also: World Immunization Week
According to historians, the Global Forgiveness Day began in 1994. It was founded and sponsored by the Christian Embassy of Christ’s Ambassadors. The celebration originated in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
However, some accounts say that the international Forgiveness Day was founded by the World Forgiveness Alliance, which is a non-denominational educational foundation. According to the group’s website, the International Forgiveness Day is dedicated to giving focus on the value of forgiveness. The primary founder of this day is Robert W. Plath who came from Mill Valley, California.
This holiday is always celebrated on July 7 every year. This means that the upcoming National Forgiveness Day will be celebrated on July 7.
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of this day:
For Health Purposes
As mentioned earlier, being unforgiving can be bad for the health. Holding onto grudges can lead to stress, and worse comes to worst, unmanageable stress. The release of stress hormones will trigger certain bodily functions to work improperly. As a result, various diseases could arise. Hence, if you want to take care of your health, then you should celebrate Forgiveness Day to forgive people who have wronged you or to ask for forgiveness from someone you have wronged.
To Improve Working Relationships
There are times when we are not in good relationship with our friends or coworkers. We may have entered into a serious argument with them. However, this kind of problem can be bad to a group especially if you work closely with them. Hence, if you want to improve the dynamic of your group, then you should celebrate this day.
To Improve Family Relationships
We also come into arguments with some of our family members. It may be inevitable. But since the family relationship is very important, you should celebrate this day to forgive a family members who may have wronged you. If you have done something wrong to another family member, this might be the perfect day as well to ask for forgiveness.
Celebration Ideas & Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of Forgiveness Day as best as it can be:
Let go of Anger
You can celebrate this day by letting go of any anger within you. Some yoga and breathing exercises may help you with this. As mentioned above, holding onto grudges can be bad for one’s health. Hence, you should remove any trace of anger inside of you during this day.
Forgive Family Members
If you have some family members who have wronged you, then this is the ideal day for you to forgive them. No matter what happens, family is family. Perhaps in our world, our relationship with our family is the most important one. Hence, you should value this kind of relationship by forgiving any family member who may have wronged you.
If you have friends that have wronged you, then you can forgive them during this day. With this, it may be possible to restore a good relationship with your friends and bring back all your good times together.
Forgive Your Partner
You may also have a partner in your life. This is the perfect opportunity to forgive them for doing something you may not like such as being late in your date or not responding right away to your messages.
All of us may have done some things that we ourselves cannot forgive. If that is the case, then you should go celebrate this day by forgiving yourself. Any bad thing that you may have done is already a thing in the past. All you can do now is to learn from your mistakes and move forward as a better individual.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, share some good quotes about forgiveness as you also use the hashtag #ForgivenessDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
Forgiveness Day Quotes
The following are some good quotes about forgiveness that are worth sharing for Forgiveness Day:
- “Forgiveness is the economy of the heart… forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.” – Hannah More
- “Holding on to anger, resentment, and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache, and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden, journalist, author, TV host “Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.” – Hannah Arendt
- “Forgiveness is for yourself because it frees you. It lets you out of that prison you put yourself in.” – Louise L. Hay
- “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.” – Maya Angelou
- “I learned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It’s a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. It’s not something that happens overnight. It’s an evolution of the heart.” – Sue Monk Kidd
- “Genuine forgiveness does not deny anger but faces it head-on.” – Alice Duer Miller
- “There is only one thing harder in this world than forgiving. It’s to ask forgiveness armed only with, ‘I’m sorry.’” – Erma Bombeck
- “It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.” – Patty Duke
- “Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.” – Anne Lamott
Forgiveness Day Messages and Lines
- Be the flower that gives its fragrance to even the hand that crushes it.
- Global Forgiveness Day is a chance to put aside old differences and hurts and start afresh.
- July 7 is Global Forgiveness Day. Forgiveness is good for your heart and your health. It does not change the past but it changes the future.
- They say it’s best to ‘forgive and forget’. And rightly so, because to err is human.
- July 7 is National Forgiveness Day! Release the prisoner within… FORGIVE!
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Hate. It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. So forgive and forget.
- It can be hard to forgive and let go but it’s important to remember that harboring the resentment and holding a grudge can hurt you even more. The word ‘forgive’ really means to give something up for yourself not for them.
- Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offence up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of love.
- Forgiveness is not always easy. At times it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness.
Q: Why is forgiveness important?
A: Forgiveness is important because it can help us let go of negative emotions, heal relationships, and find inner peace. It can also improve our mental and emotional well-being, as well as our physical health.
Q: Is forgiveness easy?
A: Forgiveness is not always easy, but it is a necessary process for personal growth and healing. It takes time and effort, but the benefits of forgiveness are worth it.
Q: Can forgiveness be selective?
A: Forgiveness can be selective, but it is important to remember that forgiveness is not about condoning bad behavior. It is about letting go of negative emotions and finding inner peace.
|When is it?||Every|
|What’s the official website?||ceca.cc/global_forgiveness_day|
|What’s the hashtag?||#GlobalForgivenessDay|
|Who founded it?||CECA (Christian Embassy of Christ’s Ambassadors)|