The National Have a Bagel Day is celebrated every 11th of December each year. This day gives recognition to bagels – everyone’s favorite bread. Bagels are no doubt one of the most popular breads of all time. It even has different flavors and shapes. It is also offered in different places including bakeries, pastry shops, coffee shops, cafes, breakfast joints, supermarkets, and groceries. If you are a fan of bagels, you definitely should not miss this event.
About the National Have a Bagel Day
During the National Have a Bagel Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make their own bagels at home. Other people prefer to buy some bagels in a bakery or pastry shop. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
The origin of bagels is up for a lot of debate. Some claim that bagels originated in a Jewish population in Europe sometime during the 1600s. Others claim that bagels came from Krakow, Poland wherein the bread was traditionally given to women while in labor.
There is also a tale that says the bagel was invented by a baker in Vienna who made the bread to celebrate King Jan III Sobieski’s victory against the Turks in 1683. The shape of the bagel is said to symbolize the stirrup – known a buegel – a folklore saying that the people from Austria reached to grasp the stirrup of King Sobieski when he rode one.
Eventually, the bread became known as baigiel and became a central part of the Slavic and Polish diets during the 17th century. In the 19th century, bagels were sold in London on long dowels made of wood. Also, in the same time, bagels found its way into the USA through Jewish Polish immigrants. They became a very popular bread in the country, especially after a machine for automating its production was invented.
With limited knowledge about the origins of bagels, even less is known about the history of the National Have a Bagel Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that bagels are much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Have a Bagel Day is celebrated every 11th of December each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Friday, December 11, 2020
- Saturday, December 11, 2021
- Sunday, December 11, 2022
- Monday, December 11, 2023
- Wednesday, December 11, 2024
- Thursday, December 11, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Have a Bagel Day as best as it can be:
Make a Bagel
One great idea for your celebration of this day is to make some delicious bagels yourself. It might be a good time to scan your cookbooks or some online recipes that will teach you how to make some delicious bagels.
Buy Delicious Bagels from the Bakery
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order some bagels from the bakery or pastry shop. For sure, these stores will be offering lots of these baked goods during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this bread will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a bakery or pastry shop that offers delicious bagels. A renowned pastry shop or bakery will do. This alternative is best for people who want to indulge themselves into some delicious bagels yet they do not have the time to make some for themselves.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalHaveABagelDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day.
- Bagel in the morning is the ultimate breakfast for me; they’re just good. – Lee DeWyze
- I’ve said this before, and I say it again. Bagels can be an enormous power for good or for evil. It is up to us to decide how we will use them. – Daniel Pinkwater
- The first printed mention of bagels… is to be found in the Community Regulations of Kracow, Poland, for the year 1610 which stated that bagels would be given as a gift to any woman in childbirth. – Leo Rosten
- The bagel is a lonely roll to eat all by yourself because in order for the true taste to come out you need your family. One to cut the bagels, one to toast them, one to put on the cream cheese and the lox, one to put them on the table and one to supervise. – Gertrude Berg
- They shot the ball well early. What comes out of the microwave hot doesn’t always stay hot. I know, because I eat bagels in the morning. – Shaquille O’Neal
- The things that matter in this country have been reduced in choice, there are two political parties, there are a handful insurance companies, there are six or seven information centers.. but if you want a bagel there are 23 flavors. Because you have the illusion of choice! – George Carlin
- I served seven years as the chair of the Princeton economics department where I had responsibility for major policy decisions, such as whether to serve bagels or doughnuts at the department coffee hour. – Ben Bernanke
- According to a new poll, Republicans are more likely to have a doughnut for breakfast, while Democrats prefer to eat bagels and croissants. While Independents are that annoying friend who’s still looking at the menu after 15 minutes. – Jimmy Fallon
- We do it early like Cheerios and a bagel – Nicki Minaj
- I’ll eat the hell out of a bagel. That’s what I do – Jade Puget
- I can’t be skinny all the time. I like to drink and I like to eat. I like burgers and bagels. – Chelsea Handler
- You make me wanna staple bagels to my face, then remove them with a pitchfork. – Al Yankovic