The National Library Workers Day is observed every Tuesday of the National Library Week. This day aims to give recognition to all library staff, most especially librarians, for all the contributions that they make whenever we are on the hunt for knowledge and information. This day is a part of the National Library Week, which is sponsored by the American Library Association.
About the National Library Workers Day
Libraries do so much more than house the books we can borrow nearly any time. But they are nothing without the library workers, who are the masters of research. They have the talent of finding even the obscurest of quotes. They help us in our information gathering and can guide us in the correct annotations of our research paper.
Libraries are the champions of our youth. They foster creativity and are a wealth of diverse opportunities for growth. Despite all libraries and their employees provide to their communities their budgets and salaries continue to shrink. This day is designed to bring awareness to this continuing trend. That is why during the celebration, people do all sorts of activities to achieve the objectives of the event. People donate to libraries either in the form of cash or kind such as books or things useful in the library.
Although National Library Workers’ Day is not a public holiday, businesses and schools may be closed because it falls on the same date as San Jacinto Day in , which is a public holiday in Texas.
National Library Workers Day was first celebrated in 2004. It was started to campaign for library workers, especially in terms of increasing their salaries. Today, the National Library Workers Day continues to promote increased benefits and wages for the services provided by library workers every day.
As mentioned earlier, the National Library Workers Day is celebrated every Tuesday of the National Library Week each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017
- Tuesday, April 10,
- Tuesday, April 9,
- Tuesday, April 21,
- Tuesday, April 6,
- Tuesday, April 12, 2022
- Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Tuesday, April 9, 2024
- Tuesday, April 8, 2025
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the National Library Workers Day:
To Honor and Recognize Librarians
One good reason to celebrate this day is to simply honor and recognize all the librarians out there. They have studied their profession so well and that allows them to help us whenever we need to. And for that, they do deserve recognition from us which we can give during this day.
To Honor and Recognize Library Workers
You should also celebrate this day in order to honor and recognize other library workers aside from librarians. They can be the staff who guard the books or those who clean them. They can be the utility personnel who make sure that the library is neat and clean and also free from pests that may destroy the books. They as well deserve to be recognized during this special day.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Library Workers Day as best as it can be:
Treat the Librarian and Library Worker
You can celebrate this day by treating a librarian and/or a library worker. You can give them a gift or a letter of appreciation in order to express your gratitude for them.
Donate to Libraries
You can also donate to libraries. You may have some books you will no longer use. It would be good if you can just donate them to the library for others to read. If you have some spare cash, you may also want to donate them to the library for their maintenance and operations.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalLibraryWorkersDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this important day.
Messages and Greetings
- Librarians are basically superheroes with unlimited knowledge and computer-like powers. Happy National Library Workers Day!
- Salute to all the librarians and library workers out there. You have worked hard not only to earn a living for yourselves but to help us people who yearn for knowledge. Happy National Library Workers Day!
- Librarians are life jackets we all need when the world gets too hectic.
- If things get hard in the search for knowledge, there’s no better person to turn to for help than librarians. Hence, we thank and honor you during this special day of yours.
- Librarians have the ability to save lives with the power of reading and the love of storytelling. Enjoy this special day of yours!
- “Librarians are just like research engines, except they smile and talk to me and they don’t give me paid-for advertising when they are trying to help. And they have actual hearts.” – Matt Haig
- “Librarian because book wizard isn’t an official job title.”
- “Saying you don’t need a librarian because you have the internet is like saying you don’t need a math teacher because you have a calculator”.
- “The librarian isn’t a clerk who happens to work in a library. A librarian is a data hound, a guide, a Sherpa and a teacher. The librarian is the interface between reams of data and the untrained but motivated user.” – Seth Godin
- “The most important assent of any library goes home at night – the library staff.” – Timothy Healy
- “Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” – Neil Gaiman
- “Librarians save lives by handing the right book at the right time to a kid in need.” – Judy Blume
- “I see libraries and librarians as frontline soldiers in the war against illiteracy and the lack of imagination.” – Neil Gaiman
- “It is an awfully sad misconception that librarians simply check books in and out. The library is the heart of a school, and without a librarian, it is but an empty shell.” – Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- “Librarian is a service occupation. Gas station attendant of the mind.” – Richard Powers
- “I’m of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian who crosses my path on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “When the going gets tough, the tough get a librarian.”
- “In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us to swim.” – Linton Weeks