The National Pumpkin Pie Day is celebrated every 25th of December each year. This day gives recognition to pumpkin pie – everyone’s favorite pie variety. Pumpkin pie is often eaten during the fall and winter seasons. But they are also a specialty during the holidays – especially in Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Americans in particular love to eat pumpkin pie as a dessert. And with that, a special day is dedicated for it – the same day as Christmas Day. If you are a fan of pumpkin pie, then you should not miss the celebration of the National Pumpkin Pie Day.
About the National Pumpkin Pie Day
To make a pumpkin pie, the pulp of the pumpkin is mixed with eggs, evaporated and/or sweetened condensed milk, and sugar and is typically flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
During the National Pumpkin Pie Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make their own pumpkin pie by mixing pumpkin pulp, eggs, evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Other people prefer to just buy some delicious pumpkin pie from a bakery or pastry shop that offers them. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event. Millions of people take part in this day celebrations & same World Baking Day
National Pumpkin Pie Day History
The earliest recipes for making pumpkin pie can be found in 17th century cookbooks. One example is The Gentlewoman’s Companion by Hannah Woolley in 1675. A century later, different pumpkin pie recipes emerged in American cookbooks. Pumpkin pie also became a staple dish for Thanksgiving when the pilgrims brought the dessert back to New England. That time, pumpkin pies were made from pumpkin studded with apples, sugar, spices, and then baking it whole.
With limited knowledge about the origins of pumpkin pies, even less is known about the history of the National Pumpkin Pie Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that pumpkin pies are much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, National Pumpkin Pie Day is celebrated every 25th of December each year.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Pumpkin Pie Day as best as it can be:
Bake a Pumpkin Pie
Obviously, the best thing to do for your celebration of this event is to make a delicious pumpkin pie. To do that, follow the steps below:
Ingredients for Sugared Cranberries:
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of water
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie:
- Homemade pie crust
- One can of pumpkin puree
- 3 pieces of large eggs
- 1 and a quarter cups of light or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Half teaspoon of salt
- 1 and a half teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Half teaspoon of ground ginger
- Quarter teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoons of ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoons of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Quarter cup of milk
- An egg wash – 1 tablespoon of milk on a large beaten egg
- Put the cranberries in a large bowl then set aside.
- Boil 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan. Whisk until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Put the sugar syrup onto the cranberries then stir.
- Cool the syrup in fridge for about 6 hours or leave it overnight.
- Drain the cranberries from the syrup then pour about a cup of sugar on top. This makes the sugared cranberries. Dry the cranberries in a parchment paper for at least 2 hours.
- Make your own pie crust or use a store bought one. Chill in fridge.
- Make the pumpkin filling by combining 3 eggs, pumpkin, and brown sugar together. Add salt, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cream, milk, and pepper. Whist until thickened, fitting for a filling.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Take out the pie crust from the fridge then place it in a pie dish. Discard any extra or overhanging crust. Brush the edges with the egg wash mixture then line on a parchment paper. Bake the crust for about 10 minutes then carefully remove from oven.
- Pour the pumpkin pie fulling onto the pre-baked crust. Fill only about ¾ way up. Bake for about 60 minutes.
- After baking, transfer the pie to a wire rack for cooling. Decorate your pie with the sugared cranberries you made earlier. You can also put in some whipped cream.
- Serve your delicious pumpkin pie and enjoy!
Buy Pumpkin Pie from the Bakery
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order some pumpkin pies from the bakery or pastry shop. For sure, these stores will be offering lots of these baked goods during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this pie will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a bakery or pastry shop that offers delicious pumpkin pies. A renowned pastry shop or bakery will do. This alternative is best for people who want to indulge themselves into some delicious pumpkin pies yet they do not have the time to make some for themselves.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalPumpkinPieDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day.