The National Sponge Cake Day is celebrated every 23rd of August each year. This special day gives recognition to sponge cakes, which is one of the most popular cakes of all time. Despite of that, making delicious sponge cakes are quire tricky to bakers. Hence, this event honors both sponge cakes as well as all the bakers who do their best to serve us the best sponge cakes they could ever make.
About the National Sponge Cake Day
During the National Sponge Cake Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make their own sponge cakes at home. Others prefer to buy delicious sponge cakes from the bakery or pastry shop. If cafes offer these cakes, people also dine into these places. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
Historical accounts claim that the sponge cake originated in the Caribbean. But the earliest recipe for making sponge cake came from Gervase Markham, who was an English author and poet. In 1615, he published a book entitled The English Huswife Containing the Inward and Outward Virtues Which Ought to Be in a Complete Woman. This book contained the recipe for Sponge Cake.
With some knowledge about the origins of sponge cake, even less is known about the history of the National Sponge Cake Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that sponge cake is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year. Millions of people take part in this day celebrations & same World Baking Day
As mentioned earlier, the National Sponge Cake Day is celebrated every 23rd of August each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Sunday, August 23, 2020
- Monday, August 23, 2021
- Tuesday, August 23, 2022
- Wednesday, August 23, 2023
- Friday, August 23, 2024
- Saturday, August 23, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Sponge Cake Day as best as it can be:
Make Your Own Sponge Cake
Of course, the best way to celebrate this day is to make a sponge cake in your kitchen. But you have to keep in mind that making one can be quite complicated. Hence, you are advised to seek help from a professional baker who knows how to make delicious sponge cakes. Or you can look for an online recipe or guide that will teach you how to make one.
Buy a Sponge Cake
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order sponge cake from the bakery or pastry shop. For sure, these stores will be offerings lots of these cakes during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this cake will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a bakery or pastry shop that offers delicious sponge cake.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalIceSpongeCakeDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how fun you are enjoying your day.
National Sponge Cake Day Quotes
- Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It’s all about the memories. – Buddy Valastro
- Take the broken pieces of your life, bake a master cake out of it. Don’t stand still like a lake; keep flowing like a stream! – Israelmore Ayivor
- Happiness is like a cake: have too much of it and you get sick of it. – Karl Pilkington
- Life is a cake and love is the icing on top of it. Without love, it becomes difficult to swallow life. – Mehek Bassi
- Love is when you have a really amazing piece of cake, and it’s the very last piece, but you let him have it. – E. Lockhart
- Literature is a cake with many toys baked inside and even if you find them all, if you don’t enjoy the path that leads you to them, it will be a hollow accomplishment. – Camron Wright
- So if I have two pieces of cake, do I have twice as good an experience as the first piece of cake? One of the things I’ve found in life is that the first piece of cake is the best. – David Frum
- Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake. – Dean Koontz
- A party without cake is really just a meeting. – Julia Child
- But of course you can have your cake and eat it, too if you decide to to bake a second cake. And you may well find that baking two cakes does not take twice the work of baking one. – Robert Kuttner