The National Trail Mix Day is celebrated every 31st of August every year. This special day gives recognition and dedication to trail mix, which is a combination of snacks originally made to be taken on hikes (hence the word trail). People once eat trail mix only while doing hikes, eating those tasty finger foods on the trail of their hike. However, now, trail mix is eaten almost everywhere and not just on hikes.
About the National Trail Mix Day
During the National Trail Mix Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the event. For one, people buy bags of trail mix from the grocery store. Others prefer to buy the ingredients and make their own pack of trail mix. Some even go as far as going on for a hike while bringing their own bag of trail mix. People also shout out on social media how they are celebrating the event.
According to some claims, trail mix was created by two surfers in California in 1968. They blended raisins and peanuts together to make a healthy snack that can give an energy boost. Hence, people often brought trail mix during hikes so that they would be given an additional source of energy while hiking.
With a little bit of knowledge about the origins of trail mix, even less is known about the history of the National Trail Mix Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that trail mix is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Trail Mix Day is celebrated every 31st of August each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Monday, August 31,
- Tuesday, August 31,
- Wednesday, August 31, 2022
- Thursday, August 31, 2023
- Saturday, August 31, 2024
- Sunday, August 31, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Trail Mix Day as best as it can be:
Buy Some Trail Mix
You can celebrate this day by buying a trail mix from the grocery or supermarket. Lots are actually available on the go. Share this big bag with your loved ones. Tell them that today is the National Trail Mix Day which is why you are giving this delicious snack to them,
Make Your Own Trail Mix
You can be creative in your celebration by making your own bag of trail mix. Go to the grocery to buy your preferred ingredients like raisins and nuts. Mix them together in a bag and there you’ll have your own nicely packed trail mix meant for sharing.
Go for a Hike
Nothing would be better than celebrating the National Trail Mix Day to its roots. Go for a hike and bring some trail mix with you (those that you have bought or made by yourself). It would be better if you can bring along your friends or family for this enjoyable trip.
National Trail Mix Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalTrailMixDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how fun you are enjoying your day.
- “There are only two ingredients that make up trail mix…M&M’s and disappointment” – anonymous
- “Cigars, of course, are made of trail mix, of crushed cashews and Granola and raisins, soaked in maple syrup and dried in the sun. Why not eat one tonight at bedtime?” – Kurt Vonnegut
- “Oh my God! Stop eating that!” “Your trail mix tastes funny,” Trevor said with a cringe. “That wasn’t trail mix, you bastard! That was potpourri!” “Well, that explains a lot,” he said, giving her a sheepish smile as he returned the large wooden bowl back to the side table. She didn’t need to look to know that he’d already eaten half the bowl of potpourri. She didn’t even bother asking him what the hell was wrong with him since she knew the answer. The man was a Bradford. Enough said.” – R.L. Mathewson
- “They had picked up Julie’s scent hit wolfsbane lost her and found her trail again at the crumbling Highway 23 except it was two hours old and mixed with horse scents. She was hitchhiking. Great. Awesome. At least she always carried a knife with her. When I relayed this to Curran he shrugged and said, “If she kills anybody we’ll make it go away.” – Ilona Andrews
- “I’m taking you to lunch, sunshine.” “Like hell you are, trail mix.” “My name is Daniel.” – Tessa Bailey
- “Trail Mix is basically a combination of different kinds of nuts. I find it boring, really. But with some chocolate chips, I’m in for the ride.” – anonymous