About Ninoy Aquino Day
The Ninoy Aquino Day is a special non-working holiday held annually in the Philippines every August 21. This day commemorates the unfortunate assassination of former Senator Benigno Aquino Jr, who is more commonly known as Ninoy Aquino. He is considered a hero of Philippine democracy. His assassination in 1983 led to the downfall of Ferdinand Marcos who was ruling the Philippines as president for 21 years already. You can find out more about Ninoy Aquino Day down below.
Who is Ninoy Aquino
Ninoy Aquino is one of the most prominent figures in Philippine history and politics. During the administration of Ferdinand Marcos, he was one of the most outspoken critics of the dictator. He made headlines around the world when he was shot and killed at the Manila International Airport, now known as Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), on August 21, 1983. This death led to various protests in the country and also sparked the snap elections of 1986, which eventually led to the EDSA People Power Revolution that ousted Ferdinand Marcos and Ninoy Aquino’s wife, Corazon Aquino, taking over the presidency after winning the snap elections of 1986.
History and Origin
Although Ninoy Aquino got assassinated on August 21, 1983, it was on 2003 when former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo signed Republic Act 9256 into law which declared the day as Ninoy Aquino Day. the act also requires the observance of the day with various activities being held. Funds will come from the Budget of the Office of the President and from some other private donations.
Ninoy Aquino Day is always celebrated on August 21. The upcoming Ninoy Aquino Day falls on Saturday, August 21 in the Philippines and marks the 38th death anniversary of Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr.
People conduct several various activities to commemorate this holiday. Such activities include parades, speeches, acts, and other commemorative activities. Some are paid for by the government while some are projects made by students.
August 21 is a National Holiday in Phillippines. This is to commemorate the life and death of Senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino. All private/public offices and educational institutes will observe a day off.
Ninoy Aquino Day Quotes
Ninoy Aquino is considered to be one of the people with good brains during his time as Senator in the Philippines. He was also a good author. He made several quotes that are popular even up to this day. Hence, during Ninoy Aquino day most people share the famous and substantial quotes made by Ninoy Aquino. The following are some of the quotes which you may find interesting to be shared to your friends and family members.
- “I could have opted to seek political asylum in America, but I feel it is my duty, as it is the duty of every Filipino, to suffer from his people especially in the time of crisis.”
- “We should not depend on one man; we should depend on all of us. All of us are expandable in the cause for freedom and therefore I say stand up now and be a leader, and when all of us are leaders, we will expedite the cause of freedom.”
- “I have weighed all the virtues and faults of the Filipinos, and I have come to the conclusion that the Filipino is worth dying for.”
Happy Captions Lines
- Today we celebrate someone who has dedicated his life in protecting the rights and dignity of the Filipino people. Happy Ninoy Aquino Day
- Today let us honor and commemorate the death of the person who taught us that personal freedom and independence are very important. He who inspired many with his generous spirit and idealism. Our beloved former senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr.
- Let us not forget his courage and heroism. Happy Ninoy Aquino Day!
- Today, let us commemorate one’s selfless act of patriotism. Happy Ninoy Aquino Day!
- We dedicate this day to commemorate the death anniversary of the late Senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr. May the wisdom that he has left behind be our guiding light in making this nation a more powerful one.