Every August 15 each year, the Relaxation Day is celebrated. This holiday was first proposed by Sean Moeller in 1985 when he was only 9 years old. During this day, people on social media participate by sharing the hashtag #NationalRelaxationDay. This holiday has also been publicized in various organizations, public institutions, and charities. This is just an evidence that we people do value relaxation so much because it is a necessary part of our lives.
What is the Relaxation Day?
The Relaxation Day, known formally as the National Relaxation Day in the USA but just Relaxation Day in other parts of the world, is an unofficial holiday celebrated every 15th of August each year. This is the day when people can slow down anything that their doing, relax, and unwind.
We people have so much work nowadays that most of the tame, the fact-paced world and hectic lifestyles we have prevent us from taking a break. But the Relaxation Day solves that. This day rejuvenates and recuperates our bodies and minds so that we don’t get exposed to a lot of health risks. According to the founder of this day, too much work can make people sick. And he is definitely right. Doctors and other health care professionals have proven that too much work will trigger our bodies to release stress hormones which can have mental and physical harmful effects.
There are a lot of activities that can be done during the Relaxation Day to make help people take a good break from working like a dog.
History of Relaxation Day
As mentioned above, the founder of the Relaxation Day is Sean Moeller. He was only in fourth grade when he suggested this day bac in 1985. Although the celebration of this day had a slow start, its momentum quickly began to catch up through the years. And now, the day is recognized not only in the USA but also worldwide. A lot of people from different parts of the world participate in the celebration of this one of a kind event.
Importance of Relaxation:
Relaxation is essential for our physical and mental well-being. It helps to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, improve sleep, lower blood pressure, and boost the immune system. When we are relaxed, our mind and body can function optimally, and we are better equipped to deal with life’s challenges.
Ideas for Celebrating Happy National Relaxation Day:
- Take a spa day – Book a massage, facial, or other spa treatments to pamper yourself and relax your mind and body.
- Go for a nature walk – Spend some time in nature, go for a hike or a walk in the park, and breathe in some fresh air.
- Listen to soothing music – Music has a calming effect on the mind and body. Listen to some relaxing music, or create a playlist of your favorite songs.
- Practice mindfulness – Mindfulness is a technique that involves being present in the moment and focusing on your thoughts, feelings, and sensations. Try some meditation or deep breathing exercises.
- Indulge in a hobby – Engage in a hobby that you enjoy, such as painting, gardening, or reading, to relax and unwind.
Facts About the Relaxation Day
- This holiday was created by a nine-year old boy from Michigan back in 1985.
- According to a 2003 study, stress is linked with the chances of a woman getting breast cancer.
- There are actually relaxation exercises that can help you fall asleep. Breathing exercise is one example wherein you inhale deeply and slowly and then exhale slowly. This relieves the body of tension.
- Relaxation is linked with cold relief. Studies found that being in a calm and soothing environment can treat colds. So if you have a bad cold during the Relaxation Day, then it is just right for you to celebrate it by relaxing.
Relaxation Day Messages
- We often complicate a lot of things and hence it is essential to make sure that today we simplify it all and just “relax”.
- For relaxing, all you need is just a pool, sun and maybe a good book! Have a worthy relaxation day today.
- Dealing with tress the 365 days is tough. Relaxation day is that window that lets you find yourself and get stable amidst all the rush of daily life.
- Let yourself delve deeper into the chill mode today. The whirlwind of daily life stops just for this 24 hours of the relaxation day.
- It’s officially the day when you can let go of yourself and just pamper yourself with all that you love to do in order to be relaxed. Happy relaxation day.
- Life is busy and never easy. Happy relaxation day and hopefully you fuel yourself up for the hard work that comes ahead!
- After a lot of work, people lose the sense of sanity and hence it is essential that they go into the full chill mode on this day and just have fun.
- The effects of a good day are immense to keep a smile on your face for the upcoming hard days. Make the most of this relaxation day and just chill out.
- It isn’t everyday that you are encouraged to relax. Enjoy to the fullest because this relaxation day is breath of fresh air amidst all the hustle and bustle of the daily life.
- Happy relaxation day. Let your stress hormones go for a toss today and you make the most of the day with all the fun you can do.
Self-Care Activities to Rejuvenate Your Mind and Body:
- Exercise – Regular exercise can reduce stress, improve mood, and boost energy levels.
- Get enough sleep – Sleep is essential for our physical and mental health. Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy diet – A balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can provide the necessary nutrients for optimal health.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking enough water can help to flush out toxins and keep the body functioning properly.
- Practice self-compassion – Be kind to yourself, practice positive self-talk, and give yourself the care and attention you need.
When is Happy National Relaxation Day?
Happy National Relaxation Day is celebrated on August 15 every year.
Why is relaxation important?
Relaxation is essential for our physical and mental well-being. It helps to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, improve sleep, lower blood pressure, and boost the immune system.
What are some self-care activities to rejuvenate the mind and body?
Exercise, sleep, healthy diet, hydration, and self-compassion are some self-care activities to rejuvenate the mind and body.