National Sisters Day is celebrated every first Sunday of August. This is the time for you to show your appreciation to your sister and celebrate the unique bond only sisters have. Yes, siblings can be quite harsh to each other. they always tease and argue with each other.
Sisters Day is an unofficial holiday that commemorates the strong bond that sisters have. The United States celebrates this day as National Sisters Day. This day encourages people to honor the strong bond that they have with their sisters and commemorate such a special kind of relationship. This day also encourages people to acknowledge the love and joy that their sisters bring into their lives.
What is the History of Sister Day?
Unfortunately, the exact origin of Sisters Day is unknown. Although we can make an interesting point that parts of Nepal and India celebrate a very similar holiday called Raksha Bandhan, which is also celebrated in August as well. However, this holiday of theirs celebrates the bond between brothers and sisters and not amongst sisters themselves.
Read Also: National Boyfriend Day
Perhaps the main reason why such a holiday was created is to dedicate a special day where sisters can honor the special bond that they have – the emotional attachment from birth onwards.
When is Sister Day?
This holiday is always celebrated on the first Sunday of August.
Why Celebrate Sisters Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should celebrate Sisters Day:
One of a Kind Familial Ties
Family members share a special kind of relationship. But still, that shared by sisters is a unique one. If you are the older sister, you know how to guide your younger sister well. You give her lots of advice based on your own experience. If you are the younger sister, you do often rely on your older sister for advice on life. If your age difference with your sister is really not that far, then you two are most likely just best friends. This is the special kind of relationship that sisters have and one that should be commemorated and honored during Sisters Day.
Deep Understanding and Sympathy
Sisters also share a deep understanding and also sympathize well with each other. More often than not, by just looking into each other’s eyes and with their facial expressions, sisters already know what the other one is thinking. They also sympathize with each other. When one is sad, the other one makes her happy again. When one is experiencing a heartbreak, the other one sympathizes so that she will feel better again. This is the deep understanding that sisters have which should be celebrated during Sisters Day.
Pretty Little Secrets
Another thing that makes the bonds between sisters really strong is the fact that they share lots of deep secrets. Sisters are partners in crime. With things as small as a tiny mistake in the house, they protect each other. They also share even the darkest of all their secrets because they know that they should eventually share that to someone. This makes their relationship ultimately strong.
How to Celebrate Sister Day?
The following are the best activities done for the celebration of the Sisters Day:
A Day of Remembrance
This day can be the perfect opportunity for you and your sister to go back to when you were still little kids and teenagers and remember all the good and bad moments that you share with each other. Perhaps you can go on a trip down the memory lane by looking at your photos as well as each other’s diaries.
Spending Quality Time with Each Other
Another good thing to do for this day is to spend quality time with each other. Perhaps you can both go shopping and buy some nice things for each other. You can also eat out together and enjoy your delicious foods. You can also try to watch movies together. These are nice and memorable things to do for the day.
Going on a Family Vacation
It doesn’t mean that just because this is Sisters Day, you cannot celebrate with your family. You can still enjoy the celebration with the entire family present. Perhaps you can go on a family vacation. Go to the beach and have lots of fun. But try to find time when you and your sister can have a talk with each other. You can thank her for being such a good sister and hope for better days together ahead of you.
Sisters Day Quotes Greetings
- “Sister. 1) A best friend for life. 2) Player of dress up. 3) Teller of stories. 4) Keeper of secrets.” –Unknown
- “There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.” –Unknown
- “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within a family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” –Margaret Mead
- “Sisterhood is powerful.” –Robin Morgan
- “Sisters share grown-up dreams and childhood memories.” –Unknown
- “I grin because you are my sister. I laugh because I know there’s nothing you can do about it.” –Unknown
- “You sister always knows when you’ve been bad or good – more than Santa Claus ever could.” –Unknown
Sisters Day Wishes Messages
- Dear sister. it’s you to whom. I can pour my heart out and share everything. Your love and support is my eternal bliss. Here’s sending you lots of loving hugs!
- Sister, please hold my hand. Because without you I can’t stand. For we were put on this earth for a reason. To go through every good and bad season.
- With you, I’ve shared my deepest secrets. happiest moments, ups and downs, and joy. I feel blessed to have a sibling-like you who’s always by my side.
- Happy Sisters day to the hottest girl on this planet: My SIS.