The Teacher Appreciation Day is an annual celebration held to have one special day of dedication to all hardworking teachers out there. The day also aims to recognize their importance. This day is always observed during the first Tuesday of May.
About the Teacher Appreciation Day
A good teacher is someone who can shape up the life of a person and accompanies parents in raising their children. A teacher is someone who does not only teach a subject or two to his or her students. Teachers also perform other duties such as overseeing the extra-curricular activities of their students. They are also in charge of taking care of their students’ emotional well-being. A good teacher will never disappoint their pupils. Though sometimes they feel hardship from their students, they will always get appreciated.
Proper guidance from a teacher is indeed important because it helps in attaining one’s goal. Every successful person will always remember the good training he or she received from his or her teacher in elementary, high school, and/or college.
Read Out: College Day Scandinavia
To show appreciation to these ever hardworking teachers, the Teacher Appreciation Day is celebrated every year. During this day, people, especially students, give special gifts to their teachers. They also give heartfelt letters to their students. Most schools also hold a special day full of activities that aim to honor all teachers.
In 1944, educational and political leaders began discussing on establishing a day that will honor teachers. In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt convinces the 81stt Congress to begin the celebration of the National Teacher’s Day. On March 7, 1980, the National Teacher’s Day was formally declared. The National Education Association continued to observe Teacher Day on the first Tuesday in March until 1985 when the National PTA established Teacher Appreciation Week during the first full week of May. The NEA Representative Assembly then voted to make the Tuesday of that week National Teacher Appreciation Day.
Read Also : Teacher Day
As mentioned earlier, the Teacher Appreciation Day is always celebrated on the first Tuesday of May each year. The first week of May is always celebrated as the Teacher Appreciation Week. This means that the dates of celebration for this special day are as follows:
- May 7, 2019
- May 5, 2020
- May 4, 2021
- May 3, 2022
- May 2, 2023
- May 7, 2024
- May 6, 2025
- May 5, 2026
- May 4, 2027
- May 8, 2029
The following are the main reasons why you should celebrate the Teacher Appreciation Day:
To Know What It Is Like Being a Teacher
As students or simply as non-teachers, we really have no idea as to what teachers really experience. Because of this, we often do not realize the importance of their job and their impact on all of their students. If you celebrate this day, you will be able to know the answer to these things.
To Give Honor to Your Teachers
One good reason why you should celebrate this day is that this your best opportunity to give honor to all of your teachers. You may have been taught by a good teacher. This is the perfect day to give thanks to them for helping you become a better person. You have learned a lot of things from them that you are able to apply into your life even now, and so they deserve your gratitude.
To Become Inspired of Becoming a Teacher
You may want to become a teacher yourself. If that is so, then this day is the perfect opportunity for you to immerse yourself in the activities that can get you inspired of becoming a teacher. All the activities that you can participate in this day will help you realize why becoming a teacher can be difficult but very rewarding.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the Teacher’s Day as best as it can be:
Giving Your Teachers a Gift
You can celebrate this day by giving personal gifts to your teachers. Whether you are in school or not, it would be a good idea to visit your teachers personally and give them some nice gifts that they can appreciate. Letters of appreciation will also be a great deal for them. Just make them feel that their hard work is appreciated.
Join the Programs and Activities for Teachers
During this day, various activities and programs are held for teachers, especially in schools. Usually, students arrange various types of cultural activities and programs as a token of love and appreciation to their teachers. They do performances like singing and dancing with the message of thanking their teachers. Awards are also usually given to teachers so that they can be recognized for their contributions towards making their schools more developed and better. You may want to participate in these fantastic activities.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #TeacherAppreciationDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. You can take a picture of yourself and your teacher and share that in your social media accounts.
- “You never stop learning. If you have a teacher, you never stop being a student.” – Elisabeth Rohm
- “A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.”- Horace Mann
- “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well.” – Alexander the Great
- “Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.” – Andy Rooney
- “If you have to put someone on a pedestal, put teachers. They are society’s heroes.” – Guy Kawasaki
- “I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.” – Lily Tomlin
- “A good teacher is a determined person.” – Gilbert Highet
- “A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning.” – Brad Henry
- “A good teacher, like a good entertainer first must hold his audience’s attention, then he can teach his lesson.” – John Henrik Clarke
- “One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.” – Carl Jung
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” – Albert Einstein
- “The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself.” – Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton
- “I was lucky that I met the right mentors and teachers at the right moment.” – James Levine
- “That is the difference between good teachers and great teachers: good teachers make the best of a pupil’s means; great teachers foresee a pupil’s ends.” – Maria Callas
- “In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else.” – Lee Iacocca
- “The best CEOs I know are teachers, and at the core of what they teach is strategy.” – Michael Porter
- “Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students.” – Solomon Ortiz
- “I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Good teachers know how to bring out the best in students.” – Charles Kuralt
- “Teachers can change lives with just the right mix of chalk and challenges.” – Joyce Meyer
- “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” – Henry Adams
- “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.” – Mark Van Doren
- “If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.” – Confucius
- “The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.” – C. S. Lewis
- “Teaching is the only major occupation of man for which we have not yet developed tools that make an average person capable of competence and performance. In teaching we rely on the ‘naturals,’ the ones who somehow know how to teach.” – Peter Drucker
- “One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” – Philip Wylie
- “The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called ‘truth’.” – Dan Rather
- “Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth.” – Helen Caldicott
- “The average teacher explains complexity; the gifted teacher reveals simplicity.” – Robert Brault
- “Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” – Albert Einstein
- “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.” – Swami Vivekananda
- “I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.” – John Steinbeck
- “Every child should have a caring adult in their lives. And that’s not always a biological parent or family member. It may be a friend or neighbor. Often times it is a teacher.” – Joe Manchin
- “You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.” – Dr. Seuss
- “We discovered that education is not something which the teacher does, but that it is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being.” – Maria Montessori
- “A teacher who can arouse a feeling for one single good action, for one single good poem, accomplishes more than he who fills our memory with rows and rows of natural objects, classified with name and form.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Teacher’s Day Messages
Below are some heart-touching messages for Teacher’s Day that you may want to share to your loving teachers:
- Being your student is truly a blessing. I’ve learned so much from you. You are, hands down, the best teacher and an amazing person. Thank you for everything you do for all of your students. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
- I have so many good memories you’ve helped me to create during my school years. It was such a pleasure to be your student, and I will always remember you as the greatest teacher in the world. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
- A good teacher is a way to success. I was lucky enough to meet you. You have been such a wonderful friend and my biggest support, and I can’t be more grateful to you. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
- Such an amazing occasion to tell you that you are the most intelligent, talented and kind teacher in the whole world. Thank you for always inspiring me to be the best version of myself. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
- I have so much gratitude for you, teacher. You are a role model for all of your students. Thank you for making us wiser each and every day. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
- If knowledge is the light, then you are this guiding star that gives us this light. Thanks to you, we abandoned ignorance and got ready to explore this wonderful world full of knowledge and amazing mysteries! Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!
Teacher Appreciation Day Slogans
- North South East or West, Teachers have always been the best.
- I owe my success to my teachers.
- They teach us, they tell us, they scold us and punish us but actually they furnish us.
- They punish to make us better, but we understand it later.
- They fill us with wisdom and purity, every teacher is a symbol of humanity.
- On this Teacher Appreciation Day, I owe to respect every teacher and also to teach my youngers good lessons.
- Teacher Appreciation Day is a day dedicated to our teachers.
- Teacher Appreciation Day is a tribute to all teachers for their great contributions.
- Happy teacher appreciation day to the teachers who enlighten our future through knowledge.
- Teacher’s day celebration encourages the contribution of teachers.
- Teacher’s day is a great day to appreciate teachers for their contribution.
- We pay honor to our teachers on teacher’s day.
- Every day of the year is teacher’s day for good students.
- Teachers open our eyes and mind through knowledge.
- Only a teacher can open our mind to its full extent.
- A teacher is always there for his/her students.
- Our knowledge is incomplete without a teacher.
- Teachers know their students very well and shape them accordingly.
- Teachers are blessed by God to share their knowledge.
- A good teacher becomes a good entertainer, advisor and philosopher.
- Having a good teacher is my best achievement; happy teacher appreciation day.
- A teacher always motivates us to complete tough tasks.
- You are my best teacher, happy teacher appreciation day.
- It is teachers who give us the key of successful future in our own hand.
- Teacher’s day show the gratitude towards teachers.
- Thank you for all the encouragement and support you have given to me.
- Teachers help us to gain knowledge and grow our minds.
- Teachers fulfill our thirst for knowledge and make us wiser.
- The only way to make teachers happy is to follow their teachings.
- A teacher is person who always ready to teach students.
- Teacher appreciation day is a day to honor the teachers and their contributions.
- Celebrate teacher’s day to say a big thanks to all the teachers.
- Show your love, show your respect and remember what they taught.
- Give your teachers a day off from daily routine and remember to thank them.
- A day to return the favor to someone who guides you. Your teacher!
- Honor them on the day. Nothing pleases them more than the respect you show.
- Tell your teachers how important they are for the youths as well as for the society.
- Recollect their teachings and resolve to implement them in your expedition of life.
- Thank your teachers for making you realize your potential, at least once a year on Teacher Appreciation Day.
- On teacher’s day thank your teachers for the wisdom they have bestowed you with.
- Felicitate your teachers and show your love and respect.
- This is a day to commemorate your teachers and thank them.