Turkey Neck Soup Day is an annual observance held on March 30th to celebrate and enjoy this flavorful and nutritious dish. In this article, we will explore the history and significance of Turkey Neck Soup Day, as well as the ingredients and preparation of this delicious soup.
The Origins of Turkey Neck Soup
Turkey Neck Soup has roots in Southern cuisine and is a popular dish in the United States. It is often made from leftover turkey necks, which are typically discarded after Thanksgiving or other holiday meals. However, savvy cooks have discovered that turkey necks can be used to make a delicious and nutritious soup.
Why Celebrate Turkey Neck Soup Day?
Turkey Neck Soup Day is a way to celebrate this underappreciated and often discarded part of the turkey. It is also a way to enjoy a flavorful and nutritious dish that is easy to make and affordable.
How to Make Turkey Neck Soup
Here is a recipe for making turkey neck soup:
- 4 turkey necks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey necks and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the turkey necks from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and bay leaf to the pot and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the turkey necks back to the pot and cover with water.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1-2 hours, until the turkey necks are tender and the soup is flavorful.
- Remove the turkey necks from the soup and shred the meat.
- Discard the bones and return the shredded meat to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Turkey Neck Soup Day is a time to celebrate and enjoy this flavorful and nutritious dish. Whether you make it from leftover turkey necks or fresh ones, this soup is easy to make and affordable. So, gather your ingredients and celebrate Turkey Neck Soup Day with a bowl of delicious soup.
- Is turkey neck soup healthy? Turkey neck soup can be a healthy and nutritious dish, as turkey necks are rich in protein, collagen, and other essential nutrients.
- Can I make turkey neck soup from fresh turkey necks? Yes, you can make turkey neck soup from fresh turkey necks, as well as leftover ones.
- What are some other ingredients I can add to turkey neck soup? You can add other vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, or squash, as well as herbs and spices like thyme, rosemary, or paprika.
- Can I freeze turkey neck soup? Yes, you can freeze turkey neck soup for later use. Just make sure to let it cool down before placing it in the freezer.
- What is the best way to store leftover turkey neck soup? Store leftover turkey neck soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.