World Population Day is an international event held every 11th of June each year. This event aims to raise awareness about global population issues. It aims to make us reflect on the most pressing population issues the world is facing today. In particular, World Population Day wants to increase the awareness of people on issues like family planning, poverty, gender equality, human rights, and maternal health.
What is World Population Day?
This event was founded by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Program. The world population continues to increase at a rapid rate that various issues and problems come into play. This day aims to increase awareness of such issues and also promote various ways on how such problems can be solved. Various organizations, activities, communities, and groups participate in the celebration of this event.
What is the History of World Population Day?
World Population Day was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Program in 1989. The foundation of this event was inspired by the 5 billion population mark that happened on July 11, 1987. This is the day when the population of the world was said to have reached five billion. The day was suggested by Dr. KC Zachariah when we worked as a Senior Demographer at World Bank.
When is World Population Day?
This event is always held on the 11th of July each year. This means that this year, we are all going to celebrate World Population Day on July 11, . And next year, we are going to celebrate this international event on July 11, 2022.
How to Celebrate World Population Day?
Though it might look and sound as a simple celebration to the people, the World Population Day is actually an important event that aims to shed light on the most pressing population issues in the world and promote solutions that could address these issues. The main themes that are reflected in the activities conducted for the World Population Day are the following:
Promotion of Family Planning
Family planning is one of the most important issues addressed each year during the World Population Day. Many countries in the world still experience rapid population growth that areas become too crowded. Too many citizens of an area lead to various problems related to health, safety, and financial stability. For instance, too crowded areas usually suffer hard from health concerns since illnesses or diseases are easily transferred from one person to another.
Promotion of Gender Equality
Gender equality is also a key issue during the World Population Day. The treatment between males and females vary across various countries. But the United Nations want to set a standard for all countries regarding equal treatment for men and women. One of the issues included in this theme is equal to pay or wage equality.
Poverty issues are also discussed during this event. Poverty becomes a stronger issue the more populated a country is. Activities related to discussing poverty issues aim to find out solutions that could lift people up from getting stuck in low-income thresholds.
Discussion of Maternal Health
Maternal health is also a key issue discussed during the World Population Day. Maternal health is important not only for the mother but also for the child/children she carries. Maternal health also overarches the issue of nutrition of women and children.
Awareness of Human Rights
The promotion of human rights will remain to be one of the most important issues discussed during the World Population Day. Various discussions and seminars about human rights are discussed during the day. These aim to shed light on the various human rights violations experienced by different people in different parts of the world. Various groups and communities also join in rallies and parades that promote human rights.
Facts About the World Population Day
Of course, your celebration of World Population Day will not be completed without you sharing some good facts about the day. Perhaps you yourself could disseminate some useful information to your friends and family that will help them appreciate the importance of celebrating this day. Some of the most interesting facts for the day are the following:
- According to statistics, the population of the world increases each year by about 100 million people.
- On February 6, 2016, the population of the world reached 7,400,000,00.
- On April 24, 2017, the population of the world reached 7,500,000,000 at about 16:21.
- The World Population Day sheds light on various goals that are embedded in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- According to estimates, there will be about 8 billion people in the world by 2030.
- The World Population Day is a time to reflect on the population trends of the world along with the key issues involved in it.
- The World Population Day aims non-discrimination of all people in the world. It aims equality of treatment to all people regardless of their sex, race, religion, language, national origin, political affiliation, age, economic status, marital status, place of residence, disability status, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- The World Population Day also aims to ensure that family planning services and commodities will be accessible to everyone.
- The World Population Day aims family planning activities for parents.
- Member countries of the United Nations are expected to participate in the event.