The Mad Hatter Day is celebrated every 6th of October each year. This special day pays tribute to the Alice in Wonderland character named Mad Hatter. The character is depicted as a man wearing a hat with the note “In This Style 10/6”. This means that the hat in that style cost 10 Shillings and Sixpence. Because 10/6 looked like a date, the date of celebration for the Mad Hatter Day was chosen to be October 6.
About the Mad Hatter Day
During the Mad Hatter Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the main objective of this day – to commemorate the Mad Hatter. They read the Alice in Wonderland book to be able to remember the character. They also tend to watch the movie or a live play of it. People also shout out on social media how they are celebrating this special day.
The Mad Hatter Day is an unofficial holiday created in 1986 by a group of computer technicians in Boulder Colorado. They were inspired by the Mad Hatter and his antics from the pic fantasy novel. In the book, the Mad Hatter is depicted to be an eccentric milliner who is in a time party with his friend the March Hare. He is forever stuck in it because time was frozen.
As mentioned earlier, the Mad Hatter Day is celebrated every October 6 of each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Tuesday, October 6, 2020
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021
- Thursday, October 6, 2022
- Friday, October 6, 2023
- Sunday, October 6, 2024
- Monday, October 6, 2025
- Tuesday, October 6, 2026
- Wednesday, October 6, 2027
- Friday, October 6, 2028
- Saturday, October 6, 2029
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Mad Hatter Day:
The Holiday is Based on Books
It is rare to see holidays being based on book characters. The Mad Hatter is one such example indeed. The special day commemorates an eccentric character full of silliness, happiness, and fun. Hence, you must celebrate this day in order to experience a one of a kind celebration.
Read Also : Book Lovers Day
The Holiday Commemorates a Silly Character
You should also celebrate this day to commemorate happiness. Mad Hatter is a silly person. He likes to have fun and make others surrounding him laugh. If you value happiness and laughter, then it is all the more reason for you to celebrate this special day.
To Appreciate Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland is such a classic book that children, especially from the 20th century, loved to read. It is full of many lessons. However, it is also full of symbolisms that adults will understand once they have analyzed them. Thus, you must celebrate this day to commemorate this special book that have been loved by all generations.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the Mad Hatter Day as best as it can be:
Host a Mad Hatter tea party
One good idea for your celebration of this day is to host a Mad Hatter tea party as a tribute to the eccentric character. You can invite your friends and family to join this party with you best done afternoon with the best prepared tea and pastries.
Read from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
You can also celebrate this day by reading the Alice in Wonderland book. As mentioned earlier, this book is considered to be one of the finest ever written. Getting a copy of this book is so easy now. Just pay a visit to the nearest bookstore to grab your copy. Or maybe you can borrow one from a friend or a relative.
Tell absurd riddles
The Mad Hatter is known for telling absurd riddles. You can then celebrate this day by mimicking this thing that he likes to do. You can search the internet for absurd riddles and tell those to your friends and family.
Attend a production of Alice in Wonderland
If you don’t have time to read the book, then it would be wise if you can learn the story of the Mad Hatter from a production of Alice in Wonderland. This will surely give you a good time in the theater.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #MadHatterDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this special day.
Quotes by the Mad Hatter
- “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland. Alice,
- No wonder you’re late, why this watch is exactly two days slow.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “This is impossible.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Only if you believe it is.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Everyone wants some magical solution for their problem and everyone refuses to believe in magic.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “You used to be much more.. muchier. You’ve lost your muchness.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Have I gone mad?” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret, all the best people are.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “You have a regrettably large head, I would very much like to bat it.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Screw the box, I think outside the straight jacket.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Sometimes I’ve believed in as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “Mad as a hatter and twice as twisted.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.
- “We’re all quite mad here. You’ll fit right in.” — the Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland.