Oh Yes, Burrito Lover’s all-time favorite holiday, the National Burrito Day has just arrived. National food holidays might sound plain. Sure. But where there are free Burritos involved, the Americans and Canadians celebrate each and every moment like it’s their own birthday!
So, let’s just get right to the details of National Burrito Day and get a sneak peek inside this special food holiday. Also shared are the Happy Burrito Day freebies that you must score this year.
When is National Burrito Day?
National Burrito Day is celebrated every year on the first Thursday of April. This year in, the day will fall on April 7.
|Happy National Burrito Day|
|A day dedicated to appreciating Burrito, a Mexican dish consisting of a tortilla rolled round a savory filling|
|National Food Holiday”}”>National Food Holiday|
|Eating Burritos – Free Burrito Deals|
|First Thursday of April|
|USA, Canada, Australia, UK|
What is National Burrito Day?
Foodies Rejoice – National Burrito Day, also known as Free Burrito Day, is a special holiday for all the tortilla-wrapped food lovers. It’s a yearly holiday that celebrates those mouth-watering tortilla wrapped logs of meat, rice, beans, vegetables, and guacamole.
Also Read: Idli Day
Fast Food restaurants around the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom jump into the National Burrito Day festivities, with discounted or buy-one-get-one burrito deals to free French fries and cold drinks.
*Do you know? Burritos made in the United States, when compared to Burritos sold worldwide, are big in size and packed with multiple ingredients such as meat or vegetables.
What is National Burrito Day History?
In the 1910s and 1920s, a Mexican street vendor named Juan Mendez sold street food items in the Mexican city of Juarez. It was his daily routine to pack and carry his food items to the street, riding on a donkey a.k.a a burro. At some point, he decided to keep food items hot by tightly wrapping them in a huge flour tortilla, until one day he realized that it was a great way to serve different food items tightly packed in the flour tortilla. From that day onward, it came to be known as Burrito Day.
Since Juan Mendez sold his first Burritos on the first Thursday of April, so the same day was set to be celebrated as National Burrito Day.
Burrito is a Mexican-inspired food, and translates to English as “little donkey”. But the burrito is so named not because it appears like a donkey and nor it was because donkey meat was used in it! It came to be known because a tightly-packed burrito resembles a bedroll that donkey carries.
*Do you know? Burrito came to the United States in the 20th century, after the Mexican immigrants came to settle in America. The food item soon conquered the whole of America, with the launching of Choptle Mexican Grill in 1993.
Today, altogether 400 million burritos are sold every month in Canada and the United States of America!
National Burrito Day – April : Free Burrito Deals & Discounts
This year’s National Burrito Day is April 7, and obviously, for foodies, the best way to celebrate this food holiday is to eat a lot of delicious burritos of your favorite stuffings. But where to get free Burritos and discounts this Burrito National Day?
Numerous fast food chains in the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK are offering super hot Burrito deals for you to grab. Here’s a list of best Free Burrito Day deals :
- In Sans Francisco, California, Grammarly will celebrate its 10-year anniversary and honor the National Burrito Day by partnering with the Señor Sisig Food Truck to host a free Burrito lunch. On April 7, at noon – free Burritos will be given away at the 901 Mission Street location. Link Here
- Burrito Xpress (408 Water St, Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54703) will provide special discounted deals on BX Burritos with drinks and special prizes. First, 10 people to purchase a jumbo margarita on the day, will get a BX burrito for free. Link Here
- Willy’s Mexicana Grill in Atlanta is hosting National Burrito Day event on 2 April. Atlanta citizens must go there for best-discounted deals and free Burritos. Link Here
- All Zambrero branches in Australia are offering 2 For 1 Burrito for National Burrito Day . Get 2 Burritos at the price of 1 only
- Fuego Food Carts Burritos & Bowls, in metro Portland, will serve free burritos on April 2, the National Burrito Day at all 7 of their locations. Link Here
- Tacos & Tequila Cantina (Davis Blvd, Naples, Florida) will be offering best deals on this Burrito Day. Link Here
- Zapatista Burrito Bar in Newcastle upon Tyne is offering discounts on their entire Burrito menu and drinks.
- In honor of #NationalBurritoDay on Thursday, April 4, all Dos Toros restaurants in NYC and Chicago will be serving up free guac.
- Gordo’s Tacos & Tequila in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is offering Burritos on half the price.
- This time, America’s largest chain of Burritos – the Chipotle Mexican Grill is not doing anything for National Burrito Day. There are no discounts or free deals.
- There is Buy One, Get One Free Deal on Burritos at EL Pollo Loco. The deal will be available on Burrito Day – April 2. Click here for the free coupon
- Rubios is offering all Burritos $5 with drink purchase. The deal is available on their Wild-Caught Seafood, All-Natural Chicken, and Steak Burritos. Offer is valid on National Burrito Day. Click here for the Rubios Burrito Day Coupon
Happy National Burrito Day Memes & Wishes
- I don’t always Eat Burritos. But when I do, it’s on National Burrito Day at Chipotle!
- Americans every day is Burrito Day.
- Flirted with the girl at Chipotle. Now my Burrito has too much stuff in it.
- Yesterday I wanted a Burrito. Today I am eating a Burrito. Follow your dreams.
- If you can’t handle me at my worst – Buy me a Burrito. Problem Solved!