The National Loving Day is celebrated every 12th of June each year. This day commemorates the anniversary of the 1967 US Supreme Court decision of Loving vs. Virginia. This decision eliminated any law that prohibited marriage between people of different races.
Read Also: Valentines Day
About the National Loving Day
During National Loving Day, people do all sorts of activities that aim to promote love between people from different races. Interracial marriage is promoted and people couples from different races are encouraged to continue their love. To remind people about the past, documentaries and texts are distributed to them so that they will know the journey towards abolishing laws that prohibited interracial marriage.
The court decision was catalyzed by the Loving vs. Virginia court case. This case involved Richard and Mildred Loving who was an interracial couple from Virginia who got married in 1958. They were arrested right after arriving at home. They fought back against the law that forbid their partnership. Ultimately, they won the right to marry. The couple’s determination changed the lives of millions of Americans. They shaped the future of relationships in the country. Starting June 12, 1967, Americans were no longer prohibited from marrying another person from a different race.
In 2004, Ken Tanabe launched the National Loving Day. He is the child of a Belgian mother and a Japanese Father. He founded the holiday hoping that the celebration will bring together multiethnic families all over the world.
As mentioned earlier, National Loving Day is celebrated every 12th of June each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- 2020 June 12 Friday
- 2021 June 12 Saturday
- 2022 June 12 Sunday
- 2023 June 12 Monday
- 2024 June 12 Wednesday
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of National Loving Day:
It Promotes Love in All Forms
One good reason why you should celebrate this day is that it is a great opportunity for you to acknowledge the fact that love has various forms that should be recognized. Love does not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, etc. Love is just loving and when it happens, it does not look at anything else aside from the feelings.
It Honors the Bravery of a Loving Couple
Also, a good reason to celebrate this day is to honor Mildred and Richard who were the reasons why the USA enjoys non-discriminatory marriage. They have fought for their love and because of that, people of different races can now legally marry one another.
It Enlightens the People
The National Loving Day also spreads awareness and enlightens the people about freeing themselves from discrimination. We have made a lot of progress when it comes to fighting discrimination, especially when it comes to marriage. But there are more obstacles ahead that we must all go through, endure, and successfully survive.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Loving Day as best as it can be:
Host a Party
One good idea for your celebration of this day is to host a party. You can invite your friends and relatives over to your backyard for a barbecue. This is the time to celebrate love with them. You can even make your celebration a lot more special if you know an interracial couple who will attend this party of yours.
Attend the Festival
During this day, many communities host festivals and city-wide celebrations. You should attend these events to have fun and to meet more people.
Watch a Movie About this Day
You can also celebrate this day by watching a movie, documentary, or TV series about the origin of this special holiday. For instance, you can watch the ones that tell the story of Mildred and Richards, the couple responsible for stopping the prohibition of interracial marriage.
- Swirling how to date mate and relate blending race culture and statement of faith. Enjoy a loving day with your loved ones across the world.
- I can overcome the world with one hand as long as you are holding the other. On this loving day I promise to see love as a feeling rather than seeing who loves whom.
- Black or white there are no shading lines when we’re as one. Promote interracial relationships.
- Love has no shading, no religion, and no sexual orientation.
- Interracial Love is wonderful in light of the fact that you as of now are seeing affection over a ton of variables like shading, locale, and religion.
- I’m a dark young lady that dates white folks it doesn’t mean I don’t care for my own race, its simply that my affection is free from qualities like race, religion, and shading.
- I invest a lot of energy in London and it doesn’t alarm me, what alarms me is individuals as yet making a decision about me for being an alternate race than the ones before loving me.
- If what you see by the eye doesn’t satisfy you at that point close your eyes, and appreciate the inclination which you have.
- Touch her heart, not her body take her into consideration and dread being an alternate race, love individuals past races.
- I believe it’s something that should be said – that there are interracial relational unions out there, and the couples live upbeat lives, and there’s nothing amiss with it.
- Love is far above the shade of skin, race of an individual, and religion. Esteem this inclination.