The National Sandwich Day is celebrated every 3rd of November each year. This day gives recognition to sandwiches – everyone’s favorite snack. There are tons of varieties of sandwiches – different flavors, ingredients, sizes, and country or area of origin. Though some sandwiches have their own days of celebration (such as the National Cuban Sandwich Day and the Monte Cristo Day), the National Sandwich Day aims to collectively put a spotlight on all kinds of sandwiches. Hence, for all of your sandwich lovers out there, you should not miss the celebration of this event.
About the National Sandwich Day
During National Sandwich Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people make their own preferred sandwiches at home. It can be a grilled cheese sandwich, burger sandwich, ham sandwich, Monte Cristo sandwich, Cuban sandwich, chocolate sandwich, etc. There are just tons of varieties of sandwiches that can be made. Other people prefer to just buy some delicious sandwiches from the bakery, pastry shop, or any store that offers some including Subway. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
It is believed that the term sandwich came from John Montagu who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich. It is claimed that he was the inventor of the sandwich. But the invention of the sandwich is engulfed in a lot of debate.
With limited knowledge about the origins of sandwich, even less is known about the history of the National Sandwich Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such an event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that sandwiches are much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot in the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Sandwich Day is celebrated every 3rd of November each year.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Sandwich Day as best as it can be:
Make Some Sandwich
Of course, the best way to celebrate this day is to make some sandwiches. Of course, you will only need bread slices and the ingredients you want to put into it. You can make a sandwich as simple as a mayonnaise sandwich wherein all you put between two slices of bread is mayo. That is still a sandwich. You can also go for more complicated ones that involve layers of fillings including meat, veggies, and relish. Just remember that you can make any sandwich from different kinds of bread and ingredients.
Buy Some Sandwiches
Another good idea for your celebration of this wonderful day is to order a sandwich from the bakery or pastry shop. For sure, these stores will be offerings lots of these sandwiches during or even before the event because they expect that a great demand for this sandwich will come due to the celebration. Just make sure to buy one or some from a bakery or pastry shop that offers delicious sandwiches.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalSandwichDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day.
- “By and large, we’re a bread-eating culture. People like sandwiches. We don’t really over-think that one.” — Fred DeLuca
- “I come from Yorkshire in England where we like to eat chip sandwiches – white bread, butter, tomato ketchup (Read out : Yorkshire Day)
- and big fat french fries cooked in beef dripping.” — Helen Fielding
- “I love a sandwich that you can barely fit in your mouth because there’s so much stuff on it. The bread should not be the main thing on a sandwich.” — Adrianne Palicki
- “Call me All-American, but I love Ham and Cheese sandwiches. And not just any old ham and cheese sandwich… My mother is the best. I’ve tried many times to make these sandwiches on my own, but it’s never the same.” — Andy Roddick
- “Too few people understand a really good sandwich.” — James Beard
- “It has been well said that a hungry man is more interested in four sandwiches than four freedoms.” — Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.
- “I make a mean peanut butter and jelly sandwich.” — Jack Black
- “The most appealing thing to me about food is combining and layering flavors, tastes, and textures. So the perfect sandwich has to be toasted. It has to have Emmenthal Swiss cheese and a combination of sweet and savory — some cranberry or fig thing happening — with different kinds of meats like Black Forest ham and roast beef.” — Kyle MacLachlan
- “I am a sandwich man. Somewhere early in life, my epigenetic switches got flicked to ‘likes sandwiches,’ and that’s where they still are. I suspect it’s at least in part because they’re easy to eat while reading.” — Tad Williams
- “Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate!” — Paul Lynde