Opposite Day is celebrated every 25th of January each year in the USA. Also called the National Opposite Day, it is an unofficial holiday that encourages people to have fun all day by saying the opposite of what they really mean. It is just like April Fool’s Day but with its own twist. Kids everywhere rejoice during this event. Adults can also play along to break out of the winter blues. As funny as it sounds, people during this day have dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner.
About the Opposite Day
The National Opposite Day is basically just a day to have lots of fun. People start the day by ending it – going to the bed in the morning and working at night. People joke by saying right when they mean left (but of course not in dangerous situations like when driving a car). People also joke by saying insults to other people and then right away tell them that they mean the exact opposite of what they said just so because of the Opposite Day.
Opposite Day Of History Day
There is no official Opposite Day of History Day. “Opposite Day” is a fun, informal holiday that is typically celebrated on January 25th, and is characterized by doing the opposite of what one would normally do. History Day, on the other hand, is an educational event that is typically observed in schools, usually in March, where students are encouraged to explore and present on various historical topics.
It’s important to note that while Opposite Day is a fun concept, it is not a recognized national or international holiday, and it has no historical or cultural significance. On the other hand, History Day is a legitimate educational event that aims to promote the study of history and its importance in understanding the present and shaping the future.
As mentioned earlier, National Opposite Day is celebrated every 25th of January each year.
Why Celebrate Opposite Day
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Opposite Day:
To Have a Day of Pranking
One good reason why you should celebrate this day is that you can take this opportunity to enjoy a day of pranking people. You can do jokes and tricks that will make people laugh. But of course, if you prank others, make sure that you don’t take it to a level where people can get annoyed. You do not want to piss off other people just because it might ruin their day instead of making it fun. Thus, you have to know the limitations of your pranks.
To Have Lots of Fun
You should also celebrate this day if you are looking for lots of fun. This day is awesome especially when more and more people take part in it. It will be a whole day of joking and telling the exact opposite of what someone means. You can join in on the confusion and thinking whether one means what he says or whether it is the opposite.
To-Do What You Cannot Do Before
Also, a good reason to celebrate this day is that you can do things you cannot do before. For example, you can start the day by ending it. You can eat breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast. You can do all sorts of things oppositely. It will be fun to try these things for the first time and have some good memories to look back on someday.
Read Also: National Boyfriend Day
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Opposite Day as best as it can be:
Say Goodbye When You Greet People
A simple thing to do to celebrate this day is to say goodbye to people when you greet them. You should say bye instead of good morning, afternoon, or evening. That will definitely make people laugh and remember that today is indeed the National Opposite Day.
Call in Sick Then Show Up for Work
You can also celebrate this day by calling in sick at work then showing up surprisingly. Your officemates will then realize that it is actually the opposite day and you can have a good time with each other.
You can make a simple prank by insulting someone. Of course, that person will get shock by your insults. But do tell them right away that it is the Opposite Day and you mean the other way around. For instance, you can say to someone that he or she is ugly and then explain that you actually mean that he or she is handsome/beautiful.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #NationalOppositeDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. To make it more interesting you can event try to use #NationalNormalDay and let them find out that you actually mean the opposite of that hashtag.
Greetings and Messages
- It is Opposite Day today. Sing your favorite song backwards!
- Opposites attract! I didn’t buy any magnet though. Happy Opposite Day.
- Opposite Day is a great way to be passive aggressive.
- Today it is too cold here and I’m waiting for summer to come soon! Hope you understand today is Opposite day!
- It’s Wednesday! Weekday! Enjoy your day and wish everyone a happy opposite day.
- I hope tomorrow my hubby cooks and I don’t hear that ‘mummy’ from kids 1000 times. Happy opposite day!
- I did a haircut. Same old haircut and a different heart! It is opposite day!
- Have a bad day and have dinner as soon as you get up! Do not forget it is Opposite Day.
- Do you have dare to go opposite today? It is Opposite Day.
- Wear your clothes backwards and talk opposite today on Opposite Day.
- Opposite Day is real and comes around at unknown intervals.
- We are not excited to go to the movie at all. Celebrating Opposite Day.
- I want to have an opposite day on a school day!
- It is opposite day. Do not celebrate.
- Today is Opposite Day. Do not spend money, save it!
- I want to have more opposite days and that would be my new year resolution.
- There is no snow and no snowman on this Christmas. It should be opposite day.
- Try something new and weird this opposite day.