The Son and Daughter Day is celebrated every year on August 11. It is primarily celebrated in the United States as the National Son’s and Daughter’s Day. This day is celebrated by spending time with sons and daughters of families who are cherished for their existence. Parents all over the world express their appreciation and gratitude to their sons and daughters for being a part of their lives. If you are a parent yourself, you can have this day well spent by sharing family stories, listening to the stories of your sons and daughters, what they want, and also their dreams in life.
Want to skip ahead to a particular section?
What is the Son and Daughter Day?
August 11 is Son and Daughter Day, a day for parents to show their love and appreciation for their children. There are many kinds of relationships that exists between human beings. But the bond between parents and their sons and daughters is a very special one. It transcends even distance and age. No matter how old a person gets or how far parents and their children are from each other, their love for each other will never fade away. In fact, it grows even stronger. Hence, as a parent, you should celebrate this day in the best way possible and show your children that you love and respect them so much.
History of Son and Daughter Day
Unfortunately, even with extensive research about this holiday, no one really knows for sure about how this day started or even who started it. However, we can make a good guess as to why it started. Perhaps some people thought that various holidays about family members such as mother’s day, father’s day, and siblings’ day are already in place but none for parents and children. Hence, they created this special day so that families can dedicate a day where parents and their children can spend time showing their appreciation and love for one another.
When is Son and Daughter Day?
This holiday is always celebrated on the 11th of August each year. This means that the upcoming Son and Daughter Day will be held on Sunday, August 11, 2019. And next year, people will be celebrating this day on August 11, 2020.
Why Celebrate Son and Daughter Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should celebrate this special holiday:
The Bond Between Parent and Child is the First Bond Any People Can Form in Their Life
The bond between a mother and a child begins at pregnancy when the child is still not born into this world. The mother is the primary caretaker of the baby in the womb and takes good care of herself so that the child will be healthy. The father also does his best to keep the mother and the child safe and sound. The bond strengthens when the child is born. It intensifies as the child grows together with the parents. This special type of bond that only children and parents have is why we should celebrate the Son and Daughter Day.
The Holiday Balances Out Other Family Holidays
We have various kinds of family holidays including Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparent’s Day and Siblings Day. But we don’t have one for Sons and Daughters. Hence, this holiday is meant for people to be able to celebrate a one of a kind holiday perfect for all family. It basically celebrates the relationship between parents and their children.
This Is a Unique Holiday
This holiday is one of a kind because there are no other holidays that cherish the bond between children and their parents. Yes, we have family days usually held every Sunday. But still, that family day may involve members of the family apart from sons, daughters, and their parents. Like for instance, aunts, grandparents, uncles, and other relatives may participate in the family day. But for the Son and Daughter Day, it is only the parents and their children.
How to Celebrate Son and Daughter Day?
The following are the best activities to be done to celebrate the Son and Daughter Day in the best way possible:
Spend Time at Home with Your Children
Perhaps the best thing to do to celebrate this day is to spend time with your children. You can stay at home, cook something nice, eat together while chitchatting with each other, watch a movie or TV series together, and more. The thing that you have to do during this day is to celebrate the special kind of relationship that you have with your children. It is the day when you have to express to them that you love and you appreciate them.
Buy Something Nice for Your Children
You can also go out, like for instance at the mall. This is a good way to spend time with your children, especially if you don’t want the celebration to get stuck at home. At the mall, you can buy your children some good clothes or things they need at school. Or maybe they also want to get some brand new toys. Try to fulfill what they want. For sure, they will greatly appreciate it and will pay it forward to you the next time.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #SonAndDaughterDay to let your friends and followers know that you are participating in the celebration of this day. you may also post some nice pictures with you and your children.
Son and Daughter Day Quotes
- I smile because you’re my daughter; I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it! (Unknown)
- By the time a woman realizes her mother is right, she has a daughter who thinks she is wrong. (Unknown)
- A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future. (Unknown)
- To a father growing old nothing is dearer than a daughter. (Euripides)
- Are you and your daughter celebrating Daughters’ Day this year? What will you do? We’d love to hear from you – comment below to share your ideas!
- “I Love My Daughter” not because she is my girl but because she is the most beautiful daughter and a lovely human being…. She respects her parents and cares for them like a mother….. Wishing you a very Happy National Son and Daughter Day.
- We celebrate National Son and Daughter Day because we want to thank our children for everything they do for us and also to have a day dedicated to them for being such beautiful children…. Wishing you Happy National Son and Daughter Day.
- Celebrations of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are incomplete without National Son and Daughter Day because our cute children make us parents and we also need a day to tell them “I love you my son/ daughter”.
Son and Daughter Day Messages
- To the prettiest and most adorable daughter in this world, wishing you a very Happy National Son and Daughter Day…. I am a proud parent because I have such a caring and understanding daughter like you.
- Every day I thank God for blessing me with such an affectionate and caring son…. I have no words to express how happy I feel when I see you because I see my reflection in you…. Warm wishes on National Son and Daughter Day.
- When I look at you, I feel so satisfied because I realize that I have not failed as a parent but I have done really well because you have grown up to become a responsible, sensible and sensitive person…. A very Happy National Son and Daughter Day.
- On the occasion of National Son and Daughter Day, I want to tell you that you are the only one in this whole world, whom I have loved the most, for whom I have made all the sacrifices with happiness… because you are a gift from God…. Warm wishes on this happy occasion.