The National Ugly Sweater Day is celebrated every third Friday of December. This is a fun day to celebrate and be yourself. During this day, you can leave your school or work uniform at home and wear an ugly sweater you have in your wardrobe.
Read Also: Wear Red Day
About the Ugly Sweater Day
Ever since 2011, the celebration of the National Ugly Sweater Day has become an international event. It gives a chance to all people worldwide to wear their ugly Christmas sweaters. This event encourages happiness and fun. In fact, clothing stores literally sell ugly sweaters as early as days before the occasion so that people can have one for the celebration.
Unfortunately, even with extensive research about this holiday, we are not sure how this holiday started or even who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why it began – perhaps a person or a group of people thought that ugly Christmas sweaters deserve a day for themselves. Hence, the National Ugly Sweater Day was created so that people can have one more day of fun time during the yuletide season.
Read Also: Yorkshire Day
As mentioned earlier the National Ugly Sweater Day is always celebrated on the third Friday of December each year.
Why Celebrate Ugly Sweater Day
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the Ugly Sweater Day:
The Day to Wear Something Both Ugly and Cool
One good reason to participate in this event is that this day gives you an opportunity to wear something both ugly and cool. This day encourages everyone to wear an ugly sweater. And if you join in that by wearing one, then you are considered cool for the celebration.
Ugly Sweaters Are Still Cozy and Warm
Another good reason to celebrate this day is to give commemoration to all ugly sweaters. Yes, they may appear unattractive that no one might want to wear them. However, they still provide us with warmth and coziness that allow us to survive in cold times. Perhaps some people even wear their ugly sweaters at home, where no one could see them, and enjoy the warmth they give during the winter season.
Everyone Can Wear an Ugly Sweater
You should also celebrate this day to emphasize the fact that everyone can wear an ugly sweater. The good news about ugly sweaters is that they can be worn by anyone. They don’t cater to a specific type of person with a specific fashion. They are actually very versatile.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Ugly Sweater Day as best as it can be:
Look for an Ugly Old Sweater at Home
One good idea for your celebration of this day is to look for an ugly old sweater at home. You can search around your house – in the attic, in your wardrobes, and wherever it may be. Once you find one, you can rejoice because you finally have something to wear for the ugly sweater day. If you don’t, cheer up still because you can make one or you can buy one from the store.
Make Your Own Ugly Sweater
You can actually be creative and make yourself an ugly sweater that you can wear for the event. You can even transform a good looking but old sweater into an ugly one. You may need a sewing machine for this though.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalUglySweaterDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day.
- The selling of ugly sweaters started as a joke – a resale retail store noticed an unruly amount of unfortunate sweaters knitted by relatives or ridiculously decorated with festive accouterments coming in their doors. So, as a joke, they put them up for sale.
- Hipsters had something to do with it – many people relate the rise of the “ugly sweater” to the rise of the hipster; people who are notorious for making trends out of things on the fringe of culture.
- The business is booming – from 2012 to 2015, the Ugly Sweater industry grew by 200%.
- Everyone wants a piece of the pie – since the boom, retailers are making their own version of the ugly sweater and resale stores are cashing in on the trend by promoting their finds throughout the holiday season.
- You can shop ugly sweaters with faces of celebrities – from Beyonce to Bill Murray, even celebrities are hopping in on this billion-dollar industry by creating ugly sweaters with their faces on them.