Although red hair is very popular, it is actually the rarest hair color in the world. In fact, only about two percent of people in this world have red hair. Most people who are redhead come from Northern or Western Europe. The country with the most number of redhead is Scotland, and is followed by Ireland.
About World Redhead Day
During this day, people celebrate by conducting various activities dedicated to honoring all the people in the world with red hair. Most people give gifts to redheads. Others opt to write sincere letters for them. Aside from those normal kinds of celebration, people also celebrate by raising awareness about the discrimination that redheads face and also fighting against it. In fact, people with red hair have reported that they have experienced bullying in some part of their lives just because of the color of their hair. In addition, from history, redheads in the 15th to 18th century Europe were killed because they were thought to be associated with witchcraft.
The history of the World Redhead Day is rich and full of vibrance just as the color of the hair of redheads.
What is the cause of red hair?
The feature of having red hair is caused by a mutation of the MC1R gene. If both parents carry this gene even without mutations, their child will have a 25% chance of being born with red hair. Aside from having a red hair color, redheads have less strands of hair – only about 90,000 strands, which is less compared to blondes with about 110,000 strands, and brunettes with about 140,000 strands. However, their hair strands are thick. The pigments in their hair are also strong. If they want to change the color of their hair, they need to bleach it first.
Most redheads also have either brown or blue eyes. Most of them are also left-handed. They are also more sensitive to cold and hot, as well as to pain felt during surgery. As they age, their hair color turns from red to yellow, and then white. Their hair will never turn to grey.
What is the origin of the World Redhead Day?
We can make a good guess as to why such celebration was founded- perhaps the first person or group of people who have thought of it first knew that redheads deserve to be honored, praised, and appreciated. They deserve to be complimented for being such unique. And they are also empowered so as to prevent anymore bullying on them.
This holiday is always celebrated on the 05th of November each year. This means that the upcoming World Redhead Day will be held on November 05
Why Celebrate World Redhead Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the World Redhead Day:
To Show Appreciation to All the Redheads
One of the primary reasons why you should celebrate the World Redhead Day is that it is the perfect day for you to show your appreciation to all the redheads in the world. Perhaps you have a family, relative, or friends who is a redhead and plays on Rox casino online. This is the best time to show your love for them by bonding with them and/or by giving them some gifts and letters of appreciation.
To Stop the Bullying Towards Redheads
This day must also be celebrated because it advocates against the bullying towards redheads. As mentioned earlier, redheads have faced discrimination in their loves. But they are as normal people as us. They are just unique because of their brilliant hair color. You must join in on the fight against people who do not treat redheads well.
To Be Proud of Yourself as a Redhead
Perhaps you yourself is a redhead. If so, then it is all the more reason for you to celebrate the World Redhead Day. There is no better time to be really proud of yourself for having red hair than this day. Hence, if you are a redhead, then you should go celebrate this day.
Celebration Activities and Ideas
The following are the best things to do for your celebration of the World Redhead Day:
Give a Gift to a Redhead
One good thing to do for your celebration of the World Redhead Day is to give a gift to a redhead that you know. Maybe you have a friend or a relative who is a redhead. If so, then think about a good gift that you can give to him or her. You can also write a letter showing your appreciation and love to him or her.
Celebrate Your Special Day
If you are a redhead yourself, then you should go all out in celebrating this day. There are a lot of things to do to show how happy and proud you are as a redhead. For instance, you can write a post saying that you are proud of the color of your hair and that you stand up for people who have experienced bullying just because of having red hair.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration on social media by using the hashtag #WorldRedheadDay. You can use this hashtag along with your post related to redheads.
Facts About World Redhead Day
- Less than 2% of the world’s population has red hair. The highest number of redheads is in Scotland (13%), followed by Ireland (10%).
- The rarest trait combination is having red hair and a blue eye. These traits are both recessive, genetically speaking. Only about 0.17% of all the people in the world have both of these treats. Most redheads have hazel, brown, or green eyes.
- There is a festival called the Redhead Days which is the largest worldwide event for natural redheads. But the interesting fact about this is that the founder of this event is a blonde names Bart Bouwenhorts. He just put an ad in a newspaper for 15 redheads to model for him. But over 150 people called him. Since he didn’t want to turn away any person, he decided to invite them all together for a festival where he can choose the models. It is celebrated in Netherlands and has become popular all over the world that a lot of people participate in it.
- According to scientists, redheads are more sensitive to pain due to their mutation in the MC1R gene. According to a 2004 study, redheads need about 20% more anesthesia than people who have blonde or dark hair.
- Mot redheads are left-handed.
- Redheads have thicker hair strands than other people with a different hair color.
- Redheads, when they get old, have their hair turn blonde instead of grey.
- Redheads will not go extinct.
- Many commercials feature redheads.
- Redheads produce more vitamin D than people with other hair color.
- Redheads have higher risk of contracting skin cancer.
- Redheaded men have lower risk of getting prostate cancer.