The World Smile Day is celebrated every last Friday of October each year all around the world. Although this is an unofficial holiday, it encourages people to do simple acts of kindness that will make people smile. The day also makes people smile so that everyone can have a good time.
About the World Smile Day
The World Smile Day encourages everyone to smile and improve their mood. During this day, people wear their best smiles and express those to any people – their friends, family, and even strangers they just happen to walk by on the streets. People also do acts of kindness and good deeds during this day.
The idea for this event came from Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Massachusetts who designed the smiley face in 1963. His purpose for suggesting this day is to inspire the world, encourage people to smile, and make people do various acts of kindness for their communities.
In 1999, the first-ever formal celebration of World Smile Day happened. Ever since that day, Ball’s smiley face became a symbol of good cheer and goodwill.
When is World Smile Day celebrated
As mentioned earlier, World Smile Day is always celebrated on the last Friday of October each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Friday, October 2, 2020
- Friday, October 1, 2021
- Friday, October 7, 2022
- Friday, October 6, 2023
- Friday, October 4, 2024
- Friday, October 3, 2025
- Friday, October 2, 2026
- Friday, October 1, 2027
- Friday, October 6, 2028
- Friday, October 6, 2029
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of World Smile Day:
The Day Makes Us Happy
Smiling is actually good for you. Even when you force a smile, the brain releases hormones called endorphins which improve our mood. That is why experts recommend people to just smile when they feel stressed to force their brains to release these happy hormones. Therefore, you should celebrate World Smile Day to have a happy day no matter what.
The Day Spreads Cheer and Good Vibes
Another good reason to celebrate this day is that it spreads cheer and good vibes. Smiling with other people can bring us all together.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the World Smile Day as best as it can be:
Wear Your Best Smile
One good idea for your celebration of this day is to wear your best smile. This means that you will smile with your mouth and eyes. As much as possible, give a sincere smile. You can improve not only your mood but also those of the people around you.
Send a Cheerful Card to Someone
Another good thing to do for this day is to send a cheerful card to someone. This someone may be your friend, family, or relative. A cheerful card can make a person smile and therefore happy.
Do a Simple Act of Kindness
Also a good idea for your celebration of this day is to do a simple act of kindness. Even any random act of kindness will do. Even the simple kindness you show to other people can mean a lot to them. The good thing about this is that when you become kind to other people, they will exhibit the same kindness and do that to other people, as if it is an endless ripple. And you can be the start of that ripple.
- A smile can take you a million miles. Smile brightly, stay happy and celebrate this World Smile Day.
- A smile is all you need to succeed in the toughest of your battles. Happy World Smile Day.
- The world can be a dark place, make it brighter. Light it up with your smile on this occasion of World Smile Day.
- Smile, it’s the key that fits the lock on everyone’s hearts and makes everything easier. Wish you a very happy World Smile Day.
- It is very easy to be kind and smile at others. Brighten up your day as well as others and celebrate this World Smile Day.
- On this occasion of World Smile Day remember that a smiling face is a beautiful face and it helps to create a happy heart and soul. Happy World Smile Day.
- Smile big, smile bright. Stay happy and enjoy this occasion of World Smile Day.
- Meet everyone with a huge smile, for the smile is the beginning of love and happiness. Happy World Smile Day.
- On this occasion of World Smile Day, take a pledge to make this world a happier place with one smile at a time.
- If you see someone without a smile on their face, give them one of yours. Wish you a very happy World Smile Day.
- Amongst hundreds of languages all around the globe, a smile is the one language that everyone can feel and understand. Happy Smile Day.
- Take this day to smile brighter and see all the good there is around you. Be happy and enjoy the occasion of World Smile Day.
- “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” — William Arthur Ward
- “A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” — Phyllis Diller
- “I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile.” — Goldie Hawn
- “A smile is happiness you’ll find right under your nose.” — Tom Wilson
- “We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.” — Mother Teresa
- “Remember even though the outside world might be raining, if you keep on smiling the sun will soon show its face and smile back at you.” — Anna Lee
- “I think that anybody that smiles automatically looks better.” — Diane Lane
- “A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside.” — Denis Waitley
- “Smile, it’s free therapy.” — Douglas Horton
- “Nobody needs a smile so much as the one who has none to give. So get used to smiling heart-warming smiles, and you will spread sunshine in a sometimes dreary world.” — Lawrence G. Lovasik
- “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” — Thomas Paine
- “If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.” — Andy Rooney
- “Smiling is definitely one of the best beauty remedies. If you have a good sense of humor and a good approach to life, that’s beautiful.” — Rashida Jones
- “Always keep your smile. That’s how I explain my long life.” — Jeanne Calment
- “Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you’ll start to see a big difference in your life.” — Yoko Ono