The Employee Appreciation Day is an annual celebration held every first Friday of March. During this day, bosses and all employers all over the world give appreciation to the hard work and dedication of all their employees. Over the years, more and more companies are taking part in the celebration of this day since they acknowledge that their companies will be nothing without their hardworking employees.
- 1 What is Employee Appreciation Day?
- 2 What is the history of Employee Appreciation Day?
- 3 When is Employee Appreciation Day?
- 4 Why is Employee Appreciation Day Important?
- 5 How Does recognition affect motivation?
- 6 How to Celebrate Employee Appreciation Day?
- 7 Facts About Employee Appreciation Day
- 8 Employee Appreciation Day Greetings and Messages
What is Employee Appreciation Day?
This event was started so that a day could be dedicated wherein the focus of everyone will be the employees of all employers in all industries in the world. Across the globe, various organization and businesses plan events that will show appreciation to the staff and employees. These people deserve recognition for all their achievements and valuable contributions towards the betterment of the company or business.
What is the history of Employee Appreciation Day?
This event was created by Bob Nelson in 1995. He is a founding member of the Recognition Professional International Board. He worked with Workman Publishing, his publishing company, to create the day. According to him, the purpose of the day is to focus the attention of employers in all industries into recognizing the employees. It was created so that the bond between employers and employees can be strengthened.
When is Employee Appreciation Day?
This event is always celebrated on the first Friday of March each year. What this means is that the upcoming Employee Appreciation Day will be celebrated on March 6, 2020. And the year after that, people will celebrate the event on March 5, 2021.
Why is Employee Appreciation Day Important?
Perhaps the greatest asset of a company is its employees. Hence, the Employee Appreciation Day is celebrated not only to show appreciation to all the staff and employees but also to help them become more motivated knowing that all of their hard work are appreciated.
There are so many different ways of how an employer can show gratitude to the efforts and contributions of its employees towards the goals of the company. The well-known fact is that when employee appreciation is expressed, job satisfaction of an employee increases. The more motivation an employee has when it comes to working, the more productive he or she will be.
How Does recognition affect motivation?
According to studies, recognition can boost oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is a chemical in our body that make us feel we are cared for. These studies also suggest that the feeling of being appreciated increases morale, reduces turnover, and improves engagement.
Some other studies suggest that recognizing employees can make them become better in terms of communicating with their clients. A study in the hospitality industry has shown that there is a strong relationship between guest satisfaction and employee engagement.
How to Celebrate Employee Appreciation Day?
There are so many different kinds of activities that can be done to celebrate the Employee Appreciation Day. Some good ones include the following:
Be a Volunteer
One good activity you can do to celebrate the day is to volunteer in a humane society, a senior living community, a homeless shelter, or even in a local conservation program. For sure, these kinds of places and communities need some hand when it comes to their respective operations. According to one research, volunteer activities can boost employee morale, even more by company sponsored happy hours.
Play Games and Socialize
If you are an employer of a company, then you can celebrate the day by conducting games and socializing with your employees. It will be good to hold such activities so that you can become closer to your employees and have a better relationship with them. You will surely see your employees in a whole new light.
According to some research, having creative outlets at work can improve job performance. Perhaps what you can do to celebrate the day is to make your employees engage themselves into some good activities like cooking, flower arrangement, drawing, or painting.
Giving gifts to your employees will surely be a good thing to do during the event. The gifts that you’ll be giving them are not required to be extravagant. Just think of something memorable or something that you are sure your employees will really appreciate. Giving gifts can improve loyalty and can kick start a good relationship.
Have Lunch or Dinner
One of the best avenues for socializing and getting to know each other is by eating together with other people. Hence as an employer, one good activity you can conduct during the event is to eat with your employees during lunch, dinner, or both. Perhaps you can invite them to a restaurant where all of you can eat and drink together. Let talk about work be minimal. Talk more about your own lives.
Celebrate a Happy Hour
If you are too busy at work that going out to celebrate the day might be impossible, then an alternative thing you can do to still make the event worthwhile celebrating is to throw a happy hour in the office where everyone can just enjoy a chill time talking with each other in person. Perhaps you can talk about your hobbies or the things you like.
Experience Life Outside the Office
If you have lots of time to set your work aside, then what you can do is to go on a company trip or outing. Maybe you can rent a resort where you can enjoy team building events with your colleagues.
Facts About Employee Appreciation Day
You cannot celebrate this event to the max if you don’t share some good facts about the Employee Appreciation Day. Some interesting ones are the following:
- The first ever celebration of Employee Appreciation Day was in 1995.
- The creator of this celebration is Bob Nelson.
- This event is like the opposite of the Boss’ Day.
- The holiday continues to become popular in countries other than the USA.
- Companies often celebrate this day by letting their employees leave early.
- Other companies give gifts to the employees. Some even hold events or special recognition for their workers.
- Publication media such as Forbes, Boston.com, and Inc. magazine try to showcase the holiday each year so that more and more companies will be encouraged to dedicate even just one day for their employees.
- Research shows that showing employee appreciation improves the productivity of each employee, and also the company in general.
Employee Appreciation Day Greetings and Messages
- Your qualification can get you a good job, but your attitude will get you appreciation from your boss. Thanks for having a positive attitude. Happy Employee appreciation day.
- We would like to thank you for your devotion and hard work. Appreciate totally. Thank you for being a great employee.
- You bring better than best every day to work. You amuse us with your work and your professional attitude. Thanks for everything!
- You are amazing the way you work and plan the project. Thanks for your contributions!
- I admire your involvement in the work and you always exceed our expectations. Thank you!
- Sending you this appreciation message for your outstanding contributions. Thank you for your good work!
- Cheers to all hardworking employees out there. Happy Employee Appreciation Day!