Groundhog Day is held on the 2nd of February each year. This day is all about checking up the Punxsutawney Phil and find if he is able to see his shadow this year. If the Pennsylvanian groundhog is able to see his shadow, then North America should expect about six more weeks of winter. If he doesn’t then, winter is almost over and spring is just right around the corner. This celebration is really an interesting one. Forecasting what the climate is going to be is relied heavily on such activity by the animal.
Read Also: Plush Animal Lover’s Day
Groundhog Day: A Traditional Holiday Observed On February 2nd
Groundhog Day is the time of the year when people gather together at the Gobbler’s Knob in Pennsylvania to witness the groundhog see his shadow. Specific measures based on how many times a groundhog sees his shadow dictates if winter is about to ensue or if spring is about to come.
History of Groundhog Day Celebration
According to historical accounts, the celebration of Groundhog Day originated in German communities in Pennsylvania, USA. According to a book by Don Yoder, the earliest mention of Groundhog Day was in a diary entry from February 2, 1840, of James L. Morris from Morgantown Pennsylvania Dutch country.
Early Beginnings in Punxsutawney
The first-ever reported news about the Groundhog Day celebration was made by the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. According to such newspaper account from 1886, the day was the time of going to the press and seeing if the beast (Groundhog) has seen its shadow. But it was in 1887 when the first official Groundhog Day celebration was observed. Here, a commemoration was done by a group who made a trip to the Gobbler’s Knob (part of the town) to see and consult a groundhog. Ever since this day, people went to the exact same spot to see if the animal has seen its shadow.
Who Started the Groundhog Day Celebration?
There is a man named Clymer Freas who is considered to be the father of the Groundhog Day or the founder of such a celebration. Historical accounts saying this also mention that the origin of the celebration is Punxsutawney. The holiday then spread across the different parts of the USA.
What was the early celebration of Groundhog Day?
During the humble beginnings of this holiday back in the 1880s, the celebration of Groundhog Day was handled by the Punxsutawney Elks Lodge. The members of the lodge were the ones who eventually became the founders of the Groundhog Club. However, the lodge started out as being interesting in hunting groundhogs for food. Hence, one of their staple activities became hunting groundhogs. One popular drink called groundhog punch was even made from groundhogs. The flavor of this drink is said to be a cross between chicken and pork. However, eventually, the hunting activity did not become popular, especially for outsiders. Hence, it was discontinued and can only be remembered from history.
Why is the Groundhog called Phil?
You may have heard a lot of people calling the groundhog Punxsutawney Phil or simply Phil. It is actually an alternative name for the animal. The term was used by people starting in the 1940s.
When is the Groundhog Day Celebration?
Groundhog Day is always celebrated on February 2 of each year. This means that the next holiday will be held on Tuesday, February 2. The year after that, people will celebrate Groundhog Day on February 2.
Facts about the Groundhog Day Celebration
Your celebration of this holiday will become even better if you learn and share some good and interesting facts about the Groundhog Day Celebration.
- Groundhogs have about 22 teeth.
- When alarmed or when they are courting, groundhogs whistle.
- Groundhogs are herbivores. They only eat fruits, vegetables, and greens.
- The average weight of a groundhog is about twelve to fifteen pounds. But the Punxsutawney Phil is quite unique and weighs about 20 pounds.
- Groundhogs can hibernate and each of them have their own burrows where they rest.
- The burrows of groundhogs have two doorways.
- Groundhogs, although mainly on ground, can actually swim and climb trees.
- The speed of groundhogs running can reach up to 9 miles per hour.
- The term for a baby groundhog is cub or nit.
- The average lifespan of a groundhog is about six to eight years.
- During hibernation, groundhogs can lose about half of their body weight.
- Groundhogs don’t taste similar to chickens.
Ground Hog Day: Celebrations, Customs & Observances
Modern Day Celebration of Groundhog Day
Nowadays, the largest celebration of Groundhog Day is in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania which is the place where the holiday originated. Before 1993, the town draws about 2000 people for the celebration. but after the release of the movie called Groundhog Day in 1993, attendance rose to about 10,000 people. People go to the spot where Phil is summoned to see his shadows. Those who cannot come to the exact spot rely on live streams by people there. All of them wait for the forecast of the groundhog and see if winter will remain or if spring is about to come. Thus, the groundhog is considered to be an animal meteorologist.
Why Celebrate Groundhog Day?
It really is interesting and fascinating to rely on an animal for climate forecasts. Hence, you should participate in the event if you want to see the special skill of the groundhog. Aside from that, it is really fun to join the activities conducted by people for the celebration of this day. you can also get a taste of groundhog meat served in delicious dishes offered to visitors and participants of the event.
Groundhog Day Images
How to Celebrate Groundhog Day?
The following are the most staple activities that a lot of people do to celebrate the Groundhog Day.
Take a Tour to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and Celebrate There
The annual Groundhog Day celebration is always held on Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. This holiday is the perfect time for you to visit this place and join the people gathered at the Gobbler’s Knob too see if the Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow. If he does, there will be six more weeks of winter. If not, then spring is on its way. If you cannot go to the place for this day, then you can just watch livestreams made by people who are in the gathering.
Read Also: National Puppy Day
Watch the 1993 Movie Called Groundhog Day by Bill Murray
Another fascinating thing that you can do to celebrate this day is by watching the movie called Groundhog Day released in 1993 and was made by Bill Murray. Watching this movie will surely brighten up your celebration.
Sing-Along with the Song of the Groundhog Day
There is actually a song for the groundhog day. You can spice up your celebration of the day by singing the song for this celebration.
Throw a Groundhog Day Party
You can also make your celebration more socialized by inviting your friends and relative for a groundhog day party. You can serve some good foods like dirt pies, groundhog stew, and more.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #GroundHogDayCelebration to let your friends and followers know that you are also taking part in the celebration of this holiday.
Groundhog Day Fun Section
Happy Groundhog Day Quotes
- The groundhog resembles a prophet; it conveys its forecast and after that vanishes. Bill Vaughn
- Old Groundhog stretched in his leafy bed. He turned over gradually and after that, he said, “I wonder if spring is headed, I’ll go and check the weather today…” Author Unknown
- To shorten winter, borrow some cash due in spring. W.J. Vogel
- In spite of the fact that the groundhog and crocus creep into their holes, It’s Spring, and the almanac shows it; Though a polar wave over the mainland rolls, It’s Spring! And we don’t care who knows it! Robert J. Burdette
- Yesterday was “ground-hog’s day” in the United States and Candlemas day in other parts of the world. From days of yore, it has been an important day in the affairs of the weather. The character of February 2nd is true of substantially more significance than whether the first of March comes in like a lion or a lamb. The easiest type of the proverb is:— If Candlemas day be brilliant and clear, There’ll be two winters in that year. Hartford Courant
- Groundhog Day Winter’s grip’s broken, the sun swings north! David J. Beard
- At long last, an animal holiday we can relate to. While holidays and mysterious creatures go hand in hand, most holiday animals are downright demented… Punxsutawney Phil is extraordinary. He’s only a simple groundhog that flies out of his home every once in a while to see his shadow. He’s part of the gang. Flying LlamaFish
- If Groundhog day was clear and bright, The beast approached, however not to stay; His shadow went him to his den, Where a month and a half more, he torpid lay Secure in the underground hold—So wondrous weatherwise was he—Against six weeks of ice and cold, Which, sure, there would be… H.L. Fisher
Happy Groundhog Day Sayings
- “The issue with climate forecasting is that it’s right too often for us to overlook it and wrong too often for us to depend on it.” — Patrick Young
- “Each mile is two in winter.” — George Herbert
- “When the season begins for me, there isn’t an adjustment in my focus, only an adjustment in my strategies and methodologies.” — Bode Miller
- “What great is the glow of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ― John Steinbeck
- “Nature gives to every season its very own few marvels; and from morning to night, as from the support to the grave, it is nevertheless a progression of changes so delicate and simple that we can hardly mark their advancement.” — Charles Dickens
- “To be keen on the changing seasons is a more joyful perspective than to be pitifully enamored with spring.” — George Santayana
- “No winter keeps going forever; no spring skips its turn.” — Hal Borland
- “Winter is nature’s method for saying, ‘Up yours.'” — Robert Byrne
- “Regardless of to what extent the winter, spring is certain to pursue.” — Proverb
- “Pathetic, a thousand people freezing their butts off hanging tight to worship a rodent.” — Phil Connors, Groundhog Day
Happy Groundhog Day Funny Jokes Memes and Puns
1). February 2. Groundhog Day. The groundhog sees its shadow and immediately bellows “YOU’RE NOT MEEEEEEEE”, precipitating yet another completely needless boss battle.
2). February 2 is Groundhog Day. Not to worry–Punxsutawney Phil won’t see his shadow. He’s decided to stay in, watching Bill Murray on repeat all day long.
3). February 2 is coming up, which means that we’ll watch the movie Groundhog Day at my house and Nova Scotia will get six more months of winter.
4). Over breakfast one morning, a wife said to her husband, ‘I bet you don’t have a clue what day this is?’
‘Obviously, I do,’ he said, as he pummeled the entryway, and headed to his office.
At 11 o’clock, the doorbell rang. The wife replied, and there at her front entryway was a UPS driver, in his hand was a bouquet of 12 red roses.
Afterward, at 2 pm there was another thump at the entryway, this time it was a luxurious box of Belgian chocolates.
In the end, the husband got back home, tired following a difficult day’s worth of effort. His wife welcomed him by saying: ‘First the blooms, then the chocolates, I’ve never had such an awesome Groundhog Day in my life!’
5). What do you get when you cross a groundhog with pistachio? A green beast who predicts a dry spring, and acts like a nut.
6). On Groundhog Day, what does it mean if Punxsutawney Phil comes out and sees the village idiot? Within 6 weeks you’ll have a village full of idiots.
7). What happened when the groundhog met the dogcatcher? He became a pound hog!
8). What do you call Punxsutawney Phil’s laundry? Hogwash.
9). What’s green, has four legs, and jumps out of its hole on Groundhog Day? The ground frog!
10). What is a groundhog’s favorite book? Holes
11). What side of the groundhog has the most hair? On the outside
12). What should you do if you find a groundhog sleeping in your bed? Sleep somewhere else
13). Who leaps tall buildings with a single bound? Superhog
14). What do you call a groundhog’s laundry? Hogwash
15). How do groundhogs smell? With their noses
16). On Groundhog Day what does it mean if the groundhog sees a stupid monster? You’ll have six more weeks of stupidity!
17). What would you get if you crossed February 2 with a puppy? Ground-dog Day!