The National Greek Yogurt Day is celebrated every 9th of November each year. This day gives recognition to Greek yogurt – everyone’s favorite healthy treat. Greek yogurt is different from regular yogurt because it is low-fat and high in calcium and protein. It also contains fewer carbs. It has a richer and creamier texture because the yogurt is strained, which means that it undergoes additional processes that reduce its lactose, water, and mineral contents. If you are a big fan of Greek yogurt, then you should not miss the celebration of this event.
About the National Greek Yogurt Day
During the National Greek Yogurt Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people indulge themselves in plain Greek yogurt. They buy some from the supermarket or grocery store. Other people make different kinds of recipes that make use of Greek yogurt. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event as they do for Montreal Greek Film Festival .
Health Benefits of Greek Yogurt
The following are the health benefits of eating Greek yogurt:
- Greek yogurt contains probiotics, which are good bacteria. These bacteria can help boost your immune system and will also help you alleviate abdominal distress such as diarrhea.
- Greek yogurt also contains calcium, a mineral that plays a vital role in strengthening our bones. Other than that, calcium also aids in blood circulation, muscle movement, and the release of beneficial hormones. Our body is not capable of producing calcium. Hence, we must consume it from food.
- Greek yogurt is also a rich source of protein, which can support the growth and maintenance of our muscles. It also aids different metabolic processes happening in our body every day.
- Greek yogurt has vitamin B12, which is essential to the formation of red blood cells. It also functions in DNA synthesis and neurological processes. Some studies have shown that vitamin B12 can help prevent osteoporosis and improve heart health, boost energy, and improve mood.
With limited knowledge about the origins of Greek yogurt, even less is known about the history of the National Greek Yogurt Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such an event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that Greek Yogurt is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot on the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, the National Greek Yogurt Day is celebrated every 9th of November each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Saturday, October 9, 2020
- Sunday, October 9, 2021
- Monday, October 9, 2022
- Tuesday, October 9, 2023
- Thursday, October 9, 2024
- Friday, October 9, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Greek Yogurt Day as best as it can be:
Binge in Greek Yogurt while Binge-watching Series
One great idea for your celebration of this day is to indulge yourself into eating delicious Greek yogurt while you binge watch some TV series or movies. It would be relaxing and fulfilling to do this at the end of the day while you sit or lie down in your couch or bed.
Make Some Greek Yogurt Recipes
Another good idea to celebrate this day is to make some Greek yogurt recipes. One example is yogurt and granola. It is very simple to make – just combine Greek yogurt with fruit and some granola. This will make for a tasty and nutritious treat. You can also make any smoothie that contains Greek yogurt. You can pick the flavor that you want.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalGreekYogurtDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day as they do National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day .
- I’m really into Greek yogurt, fruit and almonds. Those are my ‘go-to’ snacks. – Taylor Schilling
- For me, having greek yogurt and some granola is the perfect start-up breakfast because it has many benefits. Its filling, healthy and gives me energy to start my day. – Shantel VanSanten
- Right now I’d love to be sitting on a Greek island somewhere because of being Greek American, eating great octopus salad and some fantastic lamb. Or sipping a little ouzo. I think the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest… Lots of nuts, vegetables, fruits, fresh fish, lean meats, yogurt. – Cat Cora
- My eating is pretty consistent. I like Greek yogurt for breakfast. I eat two giant salads a day, a broiled meat or fish, and a dark green vegetable at every meal. – Veronica Webb
- I honestly just love Greek yogurt and honey, and berries, and some KIND granola or something because that’s always something that I’m down to eat. But everything else, like anything savory just has to be ordered really last minute because I never know. – Chrissy Teigen
- My favorite power food is Greek yogurt and honey. – Misty May-Treanor
- Everyone on my team is different in terms of how long before a workout they prefer to eat. I like to eat my big meal 4.5-5 hours before I play. I usually eat a carb either rice or pasta with tofu or chicken. Around 2 hours before I play to like to eat greek yogurt with a banana. – Kim Smith