The National Pasta Day is celebrated every 17th of October each year. This day gives recognition to pasta – everyone’s favorite noodle. It is also used as an ingredient in various dishes, meals, and desserts. It is so versatile that every dish you can think that can be served on the table has a pasta variety. Some can be cooked hot while others can remain cold. If you are a fan of pasta, you definitely should not miss this event.
About the National Pasta Day
Different kinds of pasta are mass-produced commercially. Large-scale machines are involved in making and supplying pasta. According to Oretta Zanini De Vita’s Encyclopedia, there are about 310 kinds of pasta, and 1300 names of pasta have been documented. Just in Italy, different locales have their own versions of pasta. The shape and size of pasta are determined by the sauce that will be paired with it. For instance, linguine is served with thinner and lighter sauce so that breakage of the noodles could be avoided. Another example is the fettuccine pasta which is less delicate hence it is usually paired with heavier sauces such as alfredo.
During National Pasta Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the objectives or purposes of the celebration. For one, people try to make different kinds of pasta dishes or just one that they would enjoy by themselves for the celebration of the event. Other people prefer to dine in a restaurant, usually Italian so that they could order the most delicious pasta dish served there. People also shout out on social media how they are participating in the celebration of the event.
Pasta noodles can be found all over the world. However, we cannot deny the fact that it is very much embedded in Italian cuisine. As early as 1154, pasta has been referenced in Sicily. It was also referenced in English in 1874. Pasta is made from an unleavened dough of durum wheat flour. It is then mixed with eggs or water to be formed into different sheets or shapes. The pasta can then be stored for later use or served fresh after production.
Read Also: National Pizza Day
With limited knowledge about the origin of pasta, even less is known about the history of National Pasta Day. We don’t know when, where, and how it began. We also don’t have a clue as to who founded it. But still, we can make a good guess as to why such an event was established in the first place. Perhaps a person or a group of people thought that pasta is much loved by the people. They must have then thought that it deserves a spot on the list of food holidays celebrated every year.
As mentioned earlier, National Pasta Day is celebrated every 17th of October each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Saturday, October 17,
- Sunday, October 17,
- Monday, October 17, 2022
- Tuesday, October 17, 2023
- Thursday, October 17, 2024
- Friday, October 17, 2025
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Pasta Day as best as it can be:
Make Some Pasta Dishes
One great idea for your celebration of this day is to indulge yourself into eating delicious pasta dishes. You can look online for a recipe that will teach you how to make a delicious pasta dish. There are many varieties available to choose that the challenge might come to you as to which one to pick.
Read Also: National Mousse Day
Dine in a Restaurant
Another good idea to celebrate this day is to dine in a restaurant that serves delicious pasta. It will be most likely in an Italian restaurant. But there are also many other restaurants or food chains that serve good pasta. You can ask your friends for recommendations as to the place where you can find delicious pasta dishes.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalPastatDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this day. Let them know that such a celebration takes place every year and also how happy you are enjoying your day.
- You can buy a good pasta but when you cook it yourself it has another feeling. – Agnes Varda
- Pasta with melted cheese is the one thing I could eat over and over again. – Yotam Ottolenghi
- Pasta doesn’t make you fat. How much pasta you eat makes you fat. – Giada De Laurentiis
- Pasta is my favorite comfort food, but sometimes my body really wants a steak, and I’ll have one. – Donna Karan
- I seriously love to cook … My grandmother was an amazing cook. As a kid, I used to help her make handmade pasta, cavatelli and ravioli. It was one of my favorite things to do. I love the idea of making whatever is in the fridge into something. – Bradley Cooper
- When an Italian tells me it’s pasta on the plate, I check under the sauce to make sure. – Alex Ferguson
- I’ve been very competitive by nature from a young age, whether it was eating a bowl of pasta faster than somebody else, or always wanting to be the first one in line. – Maria Sharapova
- I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘cooking’ but I can make noodles. That means I can boil water, put the pasta in and wait until it’s done. – Devon Werkheiser
- I was told to stay away from pasta and bread for two weeks. Not eating pasta? That’ll kill me. Anything else, but why pasta? – Tommy Lasorda
- If kids can learn how to make a simple Bolognese sauce, they will never go hungry. It’s pretty easy to cook pasta, but a good sauce is way more useful. – Emeril Lagasse