The National Chocolate Macaroon Day is a yearly holiday celebrated on 3rd of June. This day celebrates the delicacy that most people love – macaroons. This holiday follows closely the National Macaroon Day which is celebrated on the 31st of May.
There are so many different flavors and kinds of macaroons but the chocolate one will always remain a favorite. This holiday is just as fun to celebrate as the World Cake Day. Hence, various activities related to chocolate macaroons are conducted by people all over the world.
Want to skip ahead to a particular section?
- 1 What is National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
- 2 When is National Chocolate Macaroon Day in 2019?
- 3 History of National Chocolate Macaroon Day
- 4 When is National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
- 5 How to Celebrate National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
- 6 Facts for the National Chocolate Macaroon Day
What is National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
Macaroon is a light cookie that is made from egg white, sugar, and some ground coconuts or almonds. It is usually a soft cookie and almost looks like a combination of a bread and a hard cookie. It has various flavors depending on the ingredient used to make it. For instance, it can have fruity flavors such strawberry, blueberry, watermelon, apple, and orange. But it can also have flavors like vanilla and chocolate. Out of all the flavors of macaroons available, the one that a lot of people really love is the chocolate flavor. And so with so much love for this kind of macaroon, the National Chocolate Macaroon Day is celebrated by people all over the world every 3rd of June each year.
When is National Chocolate Macaroon Day in 2019?
History of National Chocolate Macaroon Day
The National Chocolate Macaroon has an interesting history. The roots of this unofficial holiday can be traced back to when the macaroons were invented.
Although there is no definite record of when the macaroon was discovered, some historical records say that the macaroon was invented in either Italy or France. People from these countries were able to make simple macaroons by using flour, sugar, and almond. However, it was thanks to a cookbook published by Esther levy that macaroons became popular delicacies. Her book called First Jewish American Cookbook published in 1871 listed the recipe for macaroons under the section cake. That time, it was included in cakes because macaroons were as soft as cakes and not as hard as cookies.
The history of chocolate macaroons can be traced back to when different flavors of macaroons came about. Simple macaroons made by people in the early times were not enough to excite them and to make the delicacies worth craving for. Hence, people started to make their own kinds of macaroons by adding different ingredients into the mix. One such ingredient used was the very popular chocolate. And so by adding some chocolate bars or even a mix of sugar and cocoa into the batter for making macaroons, the chocolate macaroons were born.
Unfortunately, even with extensive research, we cannot point out exactly when the National Chocolate Macaroon Day started. We don’t even know for sure who started this holiday. But there is one thing that we are sure about – the celebration of this day started to give dedication to the delicacy that a lot of us love to eat.
When is National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
This holiday is always celebrated on the 3rd of June each year. This means that this year, we are going to celebrate the holiday on June 3, 2019. And next, year people are going to celebrate this fun holiday on June 3, 2020.
How to Celebrate National Chocolate Macaroon Day?
There are so many activities that people conduct to make the chocolate macaroon day as fun as possible. Here are some of them:
Eat Some Good Chocolate Macaroons
Of course, the best way for you to celebrate this day is to eat some good chocolate macaroons. You can either make one of your own or you can purchase some good ones from a bakery or a pastry shop. For sure, a lot of these stores will be open and will serve lots of chocolate macaroons for the day knowing that a lot of people will demand these delicacies on the day of celebration.
Make Your Own Chocolate Macaroons
You can even make your celebration a lot more exciting by making your own chocolate macaroons. It is actually easy to do so. You only need to prepare the right ingredients and tools. If you want to know how to make chocolate macaroons, then you can consult an online recipe or a cookbook which will guide you on making your own chocolate macaroons. You can then share the treats that you make to your friends and family, which will make the celebration all the more fun.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can even take the celebration on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #NationalChocolateMacaroonDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in this one of a kind event.
Facts for the National Chocolate Macaroon Day
Of course, the celebration of this day cannot be done without you knowing and sharing some interesting facts about the National Chocolate Macaroon Day. Some of them are:
- The day of celebration is open even to those allergic to gluten because chocolate macaroons are gluten-free.
- Various flavors of chocolate macaroons are available including rocky road, double dutch, chocolate mousse, chocolate filled, and more.
- There’s still debate as to where macaroon started – in France or in Italy.
- However, the name of this delicacy comes from the Italian word maccarone which means paste in English.
- The original macaroon was only a small sweet cake containing ground almonds.
- Almost all macaroon recipes require egg whites as ingredients.
- The coconut macaroon is the most popular flavor in America.
- Scottish macaroon is a little bit different than usual macaroons. It has a thick velvety center that is covered in chocolate and topped with roasted coconut.
- The Chocolate Macaroon Day is celebrated every June 3 while the Macaroon Day is celebrated every May 31.
- Chocolate macaroons can be made from different kinds of chocolate including dark chocolate and milk chocolate.