Mother’s Day is a celebration that honors all mothers of families and mother-figures. It also commemorated maternal bonds, motherhood, and the influence of mothers on societies. This day is celebrated in various countries all over the world, usually in the months of March and May. Most countries, however, celebrate this day on the second Sunday of May each year.
About the Mother’s Day
In the USA and other countries, Mother’s Day is held during the 2nd Sunday of May. During this day, people give their mothers and those they consider as mother-figures gifts, cards, candies, chocolates, flowers, and specially made meals. They also treat their mothers, grandmothers, stepmothers, great grandmothers, and foster mothers for them to have a good time. People also shout out on social media how thankful they are for these mothers. There’re similar events as well known as Happy Father’s Day & National Sisters Day
Mother’s Day Holiday
|Observed by||United States|
|Type||Commercial, cultural, religious|
|Observances||Sending cards and gifts, attending church with a carnation distribution, and having family dinner are all aspects of the holiday season.|
|Begins||2nd Sunday of May|
|Date||Second Sunday in May|
|2022 date||May 8|
|2023 date||May 14|
|2024 date||May 12|
|Related to||Father’s Day, Grand Parents’ Day|
The modern celebration of Mother’s Day in the USA began during the early 20th century by the initiative of Anna Jarvis.
As mentioned earlier, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May each year.
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of Mother’s Day:
To Honor Your Mother and Those You Consider as Mother
One good reason why you should celebrate this day is that this is the perfect time for you to honor your mother and anyone you also consider to be a mother-figure to you. Your mother has dedicated her life caring for you. There is no one person in the world who doesn’t love their mother. And there is no one mother in the world who doesn’t love their child. For all the things that your mom has done for you, this is the best time to honor her.
To Honor Your Grandmother
Of course, your mother is not the only one who has taken care of you. We should not forget about your grandmother. Most of the time, they are there for us. They become our caretakers whenever our mothers are unavailable. For all the things that our grandmas have done for us, celebrating Mother’s Day is the best time to honor them and to show how much we appreciate them.
To Honor All Mothers in the World
Aside from your own mom and grandma, there are also a lot of mothers out there who deserve recognition and honor. If you celebrate this day, you can be a part of the movement that shows appreciation to all mothers in the world.
Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of Mother’s Day as best as it can be:
Give Your Mother a Heartfelt Message
One good thing you can do for this day is to give your mother a heartfelt letter of appreciation. You can try your best in writing such message that will let your mother know how much you love and appreciate her. You should then give that to your mother and find out how much that means to her.
Give Your Mother a Good Present
You can also exert effort in finding out what kind of gift your mom would like to have. Go ahead and give that gift to her in order to show her that you are showing your appreciation to her in this special day dedicated only for mothers like her.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. For instance, you can use the hashtag #MothersDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in this special day of celebration.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Custom-made bracelet – one that writes your mother’s name
- Picture frame with you and your mother’s picture
- Greeting Cards – with your heartfelt message
- Pajamas or nightgown – for your mother to sleep comfortably
- Vase and flowers – for your mother’s home décor
- Cookbook – for your mother’s hobby of cooking
- Plant – for your mother’s garden
- Jewelry – a necklace, bracelet, earrings, or other piece of jewelry that your mother would love
- Organic juice – for your mother’s healthy diet
- Umbrella – a glamorous and durable one for your mother’s protection against the sun and rain
- Beauty products – moisturizer, facial wash, toner, lip balm, or any other product that will help your mother be more beautiful on the outside
- Scented candle – for your mother to enjoy a fresh environment with a good smell
- Bath soap – for your mother’s daily bath
Mother’s Day Messages
- “How lucky am I to have gotten you as a Mother-in-law? Happy Mother’s Day from all of us!”
- “Thank you for being such a pillar to this family. We all love you so much! Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to the best mother and wife in the world. What would we all do without you!”
- “How did I get so lucky in marrying you? You continue to inspire this family every day. We love you!”
- “Happy Mothers Day Grandma, we all love you so much!”
- “It’s too bad they don’t have a Grandmother’s Day, that way we’d have two days a year to celebrate all that you do! Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “Thank you for laughing with us in the best of times and sticking with us through the worst of times! What would we do without you?”
- “Raising me took a lot of patience and strength. Thanks for hanging in there.”
- “To Mom, with love, from your favorite child.”
- “You’re my one and only mom, and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for you. Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “I’m so proud to be your son. Happy Mother’s Day.”
- “Happy Mother’s day to the woman who raised me into the man I am today. Love you, Mom!”
- “Sorry if I drove you crazy. I only did it because I love you!”
Mother’s Day Quotes
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
- “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
- “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” —Leroy Brownlow
- “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” —Susan Gale
- “My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her. ” —Jodi Picoult
- “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” —William Makepeace Thackeray
- “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” —James E. Faust
- “It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful?” —Mahatma Gandhi
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” —Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” —Unknown
- “Only mothers can think of the future because they give birth to it in their children.” —Maxim Grosky
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” —Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou