The National Hug Day is celebrated in the USA every 21st of January each year. This holiday is officially recognized by the United Stated Copyright Office. However, it is not a public holiday. The purpose of this event is to make people show their emotions in public. People offer free hugs to anyone during this day.
About the National Hug Day
During the National Hug Day, people conduct various activities that let them achieve the purposes of this day. For one, people give a hug to their family and friends. Some even opt to give free hugs to people in public. They all want to lift each other’s mood and make each other’s day.
The National Hug Day was founded in 1986 by Kevin Zaborney, a reverend from Caro, Michigan. He thought that many Americans were afraid to show their affection in public. Hence, he wanted to create an event where that could be turned around. He chose the 21st of January as the date of celebration believing that this is the time when people are at their lowest because it falls in between Christmas and Valentine’s Day.
National Hug Day Dates
As mentioned earlier, the National Hug Day is celebrated every 21st of January each year. This means that the dates of celebration for this event are as follows:
- Monday, January 21,
- Tuesday, January 21,
- Thursday, January 21,
Why Celebrate National Hug Day?
The following are the main reasons why you should participate in the celebration of the National Hug Day:
Hugging Has a Lot of Benefits
Hugging is proven to cause various positive effects to people who do it. For instance, hugging can boost serotonin and oxytocin levels, both of which are hormones responsible for improving mental health and boosting self-esteem. Hugging has also been shown to improve cardiac health, increase relaxation levels, and lower blood pressure.
To Make Other People Feel Better
Sometimes, people are so down that they need aa hug to feel better. That is why during the National Hug Day, people offer free hugs to strangers so that they could help them lift up their moods. If you want to make other people feel better, you should go celebrate this day.
To Make Amends
Also a good reason to celebrate this day is that this gives you an opportunity to make amends with people whom you may have had disagreements or arguments with. Understand each other and say sorry to each other. This peace will definitely mend your hearts.
National Hug Day Celebration Ideas and Activities
The following are the best things to do to make your celebration of the National Hug Day as best as it can be:
Hug Your Family
Of course, the first people who you should hug should be your family. The moment that you wake up from sleep, give a hug to your parents, siblings, grandparents, spouse, or your children if you already have any.
Hug Your Friends
You should also give your friends a hug during this day. Tell them that you love and appreciate them being in your life.
You can also give free hugs to strangers during this day so that they will be able to feel better. This is a good way to improve their mood and make them happy for the rest of the day.
Celebrate on Social Media
You can also take your celebration of this day on social media. You can, for instance, use the hashtag #NationalHugDay to let your friends and followers know that you are also participating in the celebration of this special day.
National Hug Day Messages
- I want to be hugged today and every day. National Hugging Day.
- Everyone needs a hug! Even those dumb animals! National Hugging Day.
- Surround yourself with people you want to hug all day every day! National hugging day.
- To all my lovely people wherever you are in the world, assure you my hug whenever you need. National Hug Day.
- Cheer up someone today with your warm hug. Happy national hugging day.
- I love getting hugs from my tall Furry friends. National Hugging Day.
- National Hugging Day. If you hug someone today, they would be appreciative of the gesture. Hugs to you all.
- During Hurricane, we spent several days helping some very special evacuees and today, we are sending a virtual hug for National Hugging Day.
- National Hugging Day. Get ready to get the best hug ever!
- Sometimes when nothing goes right, all you need is a big hug. Hug someone today.
- Since it’s National Hug Day, here’s some hugs from me to all of you lovely people.
- The weather this day is a warm welcome, but there is nothing quite like a warm hug! Happy hugging day.
- Happy National Hugging Day to all my friends out there and especially to those who are on fighting for our country.